Pack Help??

Wojo14

WKR
Ok, I need some advise on a pack for an upcoming moose hunt. We are staying in a China on the lake, taking a John boat up lake then hiking into moose country. This will be our typical day. We might stay in woods a night or two, not sure.
So, I am looking for a pack to carry some gear (possibly a sleeping bag/small tent) and haul out meat if we get something.
I would love to be able to get more use out of the bag in the fall at home for white tail as well. If this is possible....and use for weekend backpack trips. Is there such a pack?
I am new to the backpacking/backcountry thing so good advise is appritiated!
Also, I do not want to spend a pile of $ on the pack.
There are so many choices out there...

Also, what meat bags do you recommend?

~Wojo

Probably need a target "pile of money" in mind and then go from there. You can always buy a quality pack and then sell again after the hunt. Or pick up a quality used pack at a discount.

I will second the Barney's pack!
Nothing I know of hauls a heavy load more comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you aren't too tall (over 21" torso) and not looking to spend Kifaru type money I would look at the Exo 3500. Otherwise I would go with a Kifaru Hunting Frame and Tahr.

As long as you aren't too tall (over 21" torso) and not looking to spend Kifaru type money I would look at the Exo 3500. Otherwise I would go with a Kifaru Hunting Frame and Tahr.

I'm going to disagree with that.... Anything with "3500" in the name isn't going to be ideal for hauling moose.

The majority of moose hunters prefer frame packs due to the ease of strapping quarters to them. Other types of heavy duty packs work, but they usually need to have a very large bag opening to work well. If you are just day hunting and meat hauling, a "backpack hunting" type pack is workable, but hardly needed. Depending on how far you get from the skiff, a basic day pack + a few frame packs stashed at the lake may be an idea.

For weekend recreational backpacking trips, anything suitable for moose is going to be massive overkill. You can go the other way (and I have personal experience with this), and pack out many small chunks of moose in a recreational backpack... but IMO at some point it best to just have the right tool for the each job and not try and make that many compromises.

I'm going to disagree with that.... Anything with "3500" in the name isn't going to be ideal for hauling moose

I agree and I guess I should have elaborated on my thought. I was thinking that adding their Load Panel (their version of a Cargo Panel) to do any meat hauling. Sounded like the OP was only planning on day hunting, so multiple loads probably isn't out of the question. Otherwise, I would agree with the EMR2 or Barneys. Like you said, anything that makes a good day hunting pack in general isn't going to be great for hauling moose. My plan for Elk with my 22 Mag is to put the meat in a grab-it lashed to the frame and compress the bag over top for the first trip and come back with my EMR2 for the rest.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I am 5'10, 185#
I like the idea of a day pack and stash a couple frame packs at the boat. I am sure we would not get too far...??
I have a Marine issue pack that is very comfy and pretty big....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree and I guess I should have elaborated on my thought. I was thinking that adding their Load Panel (their version of a Cargo Panel) to do any meat hauling. Sounded like the OP was only planning on day hunting, so multiple loads probably isn't out of the question. Otherwise, I would agree with the EMR2 or Barneys. Like you said, anything that makes a good day hunting pack in general isn't going to be great for hauling moose. My plan for Elk with my 22 Mag is to put the meat in a grab-it lashed to the frame and compress the bag over top for the first trip and come back with my EMR2 for the rest.

I guess I never really have seen the advantage of not just day hunting with the EMR 2 in the first place.

Shraggs

WKR
Why not look at the Kifaru Nomad. Without extras it's pretty small and easily handle day pack items plus tent and compressed bag. With a grab it attached and positioned correctly, open the wings and load it a quarter in it. Easy pack for a novice like me !

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
For moose hunting I use a Bull Pac frame and just strap a small dry bag with my kill kit on to it since most of my moose hunting is out of a canoe here in Saskatchewan. If you're hunting out of a boat it's also not a bad way to go. I've used the same set up guiding in the Yukon either out of a boat or out of an argo.

inupiat1

FNG
I used the USMC Pack on my hunt, however, my brother and I ended up quartering the moose with a chain saw and cut handles in the hide to carry/drag. The 61 in. moose was too large to really put on my frame.

I don't know what you have or are looking for, but if on a budget, I say get a USMC pack with belt and straps for around $150. Then buy a Wilderness Pack Systems Handipack (similar to load panel) made for the 1606 frame for $20 and mount it under the bag. The 1606 frame is rated at 200 lbs. If on a super budget, get the frame separate and get FILBE or HPG straps and a molle belt with the Handipack and use any ALICE compatible bag.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with and use an emrII for everything. Treestands and 100 pound bags of corn in Wisconsin, to elk, deer, and antelope hunts out west. Even the antelope day hunts I feel it is great. Holds my optics setup and day gear, then can swallow a whole antelope easy. The frame can handle more weight than you can. I feel that it is the one and done pack for me. It's only downfall is price. It's about 1k getting it equipped to your door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
What do you guys think about the eberlestock transformer with the frame pack add?

What do you guys think about the eberlestock transformer with the frame pack add?

Maybe we are spoiled esoteric pack elitists on this forum but I never hear much talk of Eberlestock, Badlands, Tenzing, etc. when it comes to serious backcountry meat/gear hauling packs. Nothing against any of those as I've owned a couple over the years but I don't think they are on the same level. They are relatively cheap and may get the job done but it most likely won't handle as much weight or be as comfortable and may break in you when you really need it. Just my opinion. After having used the mainstream brands and now Kifaru, I'd spend as much as I could afford on a good pack. Buy used or buy and resell. You really won't be out much if you resell as a good pack seems to resell very well. Good luck on your hunt! Sounds fun.

oldgoat

WKR
Maybe we are spoiled esoteric pack elitists on this forum but I never hear much talk of Eberlestock, Badlands, Tenzing, etc. when it comes to serious backcountry meat/gear hauling packs. Nothing against any of those as I've owned a couple over the years but I don't think they are on the same level. They are relatively cheap and may get the job done but it most likely won't handle as much weight or be as comfortable and may break in you when you really need it. Just my opinion. After having used the mainstream brands and now Kifaru, I'd spend as much as I could afford on a good pack. Buy used or buy and resell. You really won't be out much if you resell as a good pack seems to resell very well. Good luck on your hunt! Sounds fun.

What he said! It's so hard to pony up for that first high end pack, but once you do, you get it! Especially if you're older like me and my wife, the comfort difference is night and day! I recently seen a bare Kifaru pack frame go on eBay for $16 less than what they sell new for from Kifaru! Buy one, take good care of it and in August of next year, when it's too late to order a pack from Kifaru for September elk season, I bet you can put it on the classifieds here and get in the 90% range of your money back and it probably won't even be up for an hour when it sales!!!! Good Luck on your hunt! I'm very envious!

TheCougar

WKR
I've heard nothing but good things about the new Exo frames, but never seen one so take that for what it is worth. If you are buying a pack specifically for hauling moose, then Kifaru might be the way to go - they seem to have the gold standard for suspension under heavy loads. If you are buying a do-it-all-pack that is capable of hauling heavy loads every once in a while, then maybe look at Exo. I fall into the latter category - a lot of long day hunting and small backpack trips where I haul meat back to the truck. For me, the Exo combination of pack/frame weight, flexibility, and suspension seems better suited than a more heavy-duty Kifaru frame. My only advice is to stick with a pack that has load lifters and a frame height sufficient to keep heavy weights off your shoulders.