Packable barrel cleaning rod?

Jakerex

WKR
What are you guys using for a packable rifle barrel cleaning rod? Mainly for if I somehow end up with a barrel stuck full of mud or something. Im picturing a packable rod that is in like 4-5” sections and folds like a tent pole….or something like that, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

WCB

WKR
electrical tape on the muzzle for starters or just get a section of brass cleaning rod. Realistically you probably only need proabaly 6" or so break up the packed in stuff. Then a bore snake.

A Bore Snake alone does ZERO good if you actually drive your barrel into snow or mud. When I was a guide I hade a couple guys fall and stuff barrels with mud and snow. had to find a small enough stick the first time it happened to pop the snow loose. after that always had a bore snake and .22 cal section of brass cleaning rod in my pack. Why .22 cal .30 call rod is hard push down a .243 barrel and. .22 will work for them all.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
electrical tape on the muzzle for starters or just get a section of brass cleaning rod. Realistically you probably only need proabaly 6" or so break up the packed in stuff. Then a bore snake.

A Bore Snake alone does ZERO good if you actually drive your barrel into snow or mud. When I was a guide I hade a couple guys fall and stuff barrels with mud and snow. had to find a small enough stick the first time it happened to pop the snow loose. after that always had a bore snake and .22 cal section of brass cleaning rod in my pack. Why .22 cal .30 call rod is hard push down a .243 barrel and. .22 will work for them all.
Used sticks on a few occasions, then bore snake, always in my truck.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Previously I carried weedeater line that's stiff enough to push a plug out and then a bore Snake to follow up. Now I use electrical tape and more caution.
Careful on the packable rod material, the cheap/heavy ones are likely steel and will scratch your barrel.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Fix-it sticks. I have a Fix-IT Stick torgue wrench set that I use for everything, mounting scopes, tearing rifles apart, etc.... It is on my bench and travels in my match pack, and my hunting pack. One of the most useful set of tools I have bought in the last few years.

I've had my eye on their cleaning rod kit for a while but haven't bought it yet:

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Black tape. Yeah, I’ve done that in the past but forget. Thanks!
Last year my dad fell and plugged his barrel tight and we didn’t have a rod. Sticks worked but we weren’t comfortable with the remaining debris. Cleaned it back at camp.

JGTWI

WKR
I have a little Otis kit like this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014807034?pid=788293

But I have never actually packed it. I would probably McGyver something if I had to.
The Otis kit may not fixed a tightly packed barrel, but I’d think the cable would be rigid enough to take care of a small to moderate obstruction. Very packable also.

I love using mine at home. Way nicer than using a rod for a quick cleaning as far as I’m concerned.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a packable rifle barrel cleaning rod? Mainly for if I somehow end up with a barrel stuck full of mud or something. Im picturing a packable rod that is in like 4-5” sections and folds like a tent pole….or something like that, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
as deerhunter628 said, Rapid Rod is what you're looking for

I have used it in my shotgun way too many times while hunting in deep snow. I have one in my bird vest and in my duck hunting pack.
I don't bring it while backpack rifle hunting (use electrical tape instead), but I do keep one in the truck.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, rapid rod. Bore snakes are worthless in some situations. Like you pack mud into the barrel from a fall.

Jeremy

BLJ

WKR
@Holmes. Have you ordered from that site? GTG?? I’d like to pick up another one. Thanks.

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
I saw them there. I thought that I had looked for them af one time and they didn't come up. Thanks.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Rapid Rod. I always carry one for emergency use. I use tape over barrel as well to keep out weather and debris, but two times I've had to use the Rapid Rod in hunting mates rifles. When they unloaded their rifles, the bullet stayed lodged in the rifling from using long reloads and had be be tapped out. The Rapid Rod saved their hunt. Bore snakes wouldn't do anything in that case.

Sled

WKR
I've used balloons, finger condoms, tips of gloves cut off, etc. Just tape or wrap a rubber band on it for security. I've never had to unplug a rifle in the field. That said, I've purchased used a rifle that had an obstruction in it. A guys son went on a mission and sold his rifle. He said they hunted once or twice with it but never shot it after the first few range trips. Guess it was a good thing because that obstruction was further down that it should have been. There would have been no way to clear it without a full bore cleaning rod and a patch.

Btw, that is still my most precise factory rifle. It'll do cloverleafs until I'm just shooting through one hole.

rayporter

WKR
tape the muzzle and carry a Ziploc with a few patches and a 3 ft section of weed eater line. very light we and will do any job needed.