Packing out de boned meat video and tech tip thread!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just posted this on another thread, but I figured it was the time of year to talk about this anyway!

First off, there's IS a right and wrong way to pack out meat, BUT, there's also several right ways and several wrong ways (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, it doesn't matter if you're packing meat between the bag and frame, or inside the bag....JUST MAKE SURE THE HEAVY IS ELEVATED AND AGAINST YOUR BACK!

Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu all offer the option of packing meat between the bag and frame, but you can also pack it inside the bag.

This video shows the way that I prefer to do it, but other hunters that are successful like the sandwich style system too.

So if YOU have packed out an animal before and can share some info, PLEASE post it up on this thread for FNG's to learn from.

[video=youtube;HpFi3S3ynYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpFi3S3ynYQ[/video]

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Aron, Ive actually talked to Mark. He told me this story about you helping him pack out his Elk. =-)

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inside the bag without a doubt!

Before I get hammered with emails, I will say that sandwiching the meat between the frame works fine (with nothing in the pack).

Here's why I like packing meat inside the bag:

1) It's a much faster and easier process

2) For me, it was MUCH more comfortable

3) For the amount of weight a garbage or Kifaru meat baggie weighs (I carry them anyway), it wasn't a hassle to keep my gear dry

Rizzy

WKR
^ I agree for meat hauling.
Creates way less of a Moment in your lower back region. The Moment being the moment of inertia that is created by the load and you have to counter by leaning forward.

please forgive me, but i just dont get this fad of everyone wanting to pack meat outside the bag! put gear in bottom of pack. put big black garbage bag in pack. load meat. sling pack. start walking! its like reinventing the wheel! and all these load shelfs and stuff are like those "spinner wheels". fancy. whats the point!

just last weekend i had to carry my wifes pack, strapped to my pack, she had maybe 20lbs of gear in it and it was extended beyond my regular pack, idk, 10-12inches. i cant belive the amount it threw my balance off.

maybe i should have saved my rant for this thread, lol

I feel the same way. Ive only had the chance to try this "load shelf" way a couple of times this spring with the Metcalf and did not like any part of it. The extra time, the bulgy load, the loss of the load lifters, and centre of gravity being changed was not fun. I'm not sure why so many guys seem to want this feature. If you want to carry more stuff, buy a bigger bag.

Last edited:
I think a lot of guys like it because they have not done it yet:)

Ha! This is the case for me. I been dragging deer out. Or splitting up quarters between buddies. Packing it out in my pack will be new. And the load sling/compression method looked like the better option. For me it meant I didn't have to carry a massive bag, get my stuff messy, make multiple trips, etc etc. But I can see how that could all be avoided.

Daniel_M

WKR
Apparently you guys missed the episode of Alaska State Troopers where a guy splits a caribou in half and throws the rear quarters over his shoulders and has a hand on each hoof.

hflier

WKR
I have the exact same pack and set-up. Man I hope I get to use this advice in AZ this year!

Last edited:

trdhunter

WKR
Wish I would have seen video like this before my first pack out. I have always just put meat inside the pack. I have been refining the process every time. The first few times I took camp out of pack and put elk quarters in pack as I did not know to compress light stuff in bottom, or to debone. Having the meat clear to the bottom of pack sucks. I have had a few times with meat in bag and bunch of shit strapped to outside of pack, which got the job done one trip but I didn't like stuff dangling all over. I fixed that with bigger pack. Now im looking to upgrade packs again to keep refining.

Inside the pack has pretty much been the easiest way I have found to get the meat out. Cinch up the straps and get going.

Buster

WKR
Aron, watched the video and you kept mentioning garbage bags. I know you were not specifically talking about putting the meat in them, but my dad has always warned that black or dark green plastic bags taint the taste. I have always stuck with clear plastic for my gear, just in case it sits in direct contact with any meat. Any input on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm new to this elk hunting sickness:), as I am doing my first hunt next fall. One of my biggest concerns has been what is best way to pack out the meat. I have been attracted to the frame method like with the MR Metcalf, but after watching Aaron's video and listening to you guys I think I'm gonna go with my original thought and take more time with the meat and debone it and put in in my old Dana Astralplane and march on out with a big smile on my face!

i am curious on this black plastic tainting meat..... anyone know about this? seems a little much but spoze its possible.