Pants like Prana Zion

bhartman

FNG
Bought a pair of zions just to see how they hold up and fit. So far I like them but I’m open to other suggestions just because these on the only hiking/hunting pants I’ve bought that I know some guys use out west. Are there any other recommendations from hunting and non hunting companies that anybody would recommend for pants in all seasons. Budget hunter here but get LEO discount on some brands so I’m open to any suggestions.

Bbrinks

FNG
Outdoor Research ferrosi, kuhl renegades, wrangler has an outdoor series that are pretty popular and are inexpensive. Eddie Bauer guide pants are decent but all the newer ones I’ve gotten have had the seams on the pockets fail.

RCB

WKR
I buy the Prana Brion, which is basically a slimmer version of the Zion without the cargo pocket. I’m a slim guy so they fit me better.

That being said... if these brand new pants fit and work, why are you already back in the pants market, looking to spend more money?

I have several pairs of Zions. They are excellent warm weather pants. Below 70 I absolutely love my 511 Tactical Series pants. They are so much more feature rich, with slanted pocket entries, snap top fly, several secure pockets, etc. Tough material as well. Just slightly hot in hot/humid weather. 35% cotton, so not good for extreme cold. Timberlines for that. Wish the Pranas used the 511 layout and Prana materials.

I didn't like that the prana only had one pocket
Running a pair of Wranglers at work and there not holding up super well. And the leg hole is so small if wont Drape down over my boot.
So far in the lower buck category.
I think the Eddie bauer's are the best.

OP
B

bhartman

FNG
I buy the Prana Brion, which is basically a slimmer version of the Zion without the cargo pocket. I’m a slim guy so they fit me better.

That being said... if these brand new pants fit and work, why are you already back in the pants market, looking to spend more money?

Got the only pair of zions I have for a gift. Wear them all the time but wouldn’t mind trying other options just in case there’s a good deal on them.

264win

WKR
Cabelas had a great cargo pant that fit and felt like the prana zion but was 2-3x thicker material. Tough enough for hard work or busting brush.Truly the best pants I have ever tried. Since the Bass pro take over I haven’t been able to find them anywhere.
I have the prana and Eddie Bauer guides, both are comfortable but to flimsy for any hard use.
I wish Kuiu made tall guy sizes

Just found the 511 Deltas on their website. All the features of the tacticals but in a stretch synthetic like Zions. Ordered a pair. 20% off for President's Day weekend. Will report back.

Hard to beat the KUIU Attacks for EDC. Really ideal and doesn't scream 511. Great pockets too. Nice to be able to secure your wallet in a front or rear zippered pocket.

AttackPant_BL_FR_1425x1825.jpg

The Eddie Bauer $15 Costco pants material feel very cheap, like kid snow pants material. They are loud. I own the Costco version. I don’t think the ones you buy at Eddie Bauer feel like that though.

The Wrangler ATG’s are pretty nice for the price, but a little on the baggy side. Some might prefer that. I own these as well and wear them often.

Prana Zion straight are the best in my opinion. A little pricey, but can be found on sale easy enough.

Thing with the Kuiu Attacks is they're over $100 even on sale and they're much heavier than pants like the Wranglers and EB's.

Hard to beat the KUIU Attacks for EDC. Really ideal and doesn't scream 511. Great pockets too. Nice to be able to secure your wallet in a front or rear zippered pocket.

View attachment 154541

But it does scream KUIU in giant WHITE letters on the front thigh. Plus it screams twice the $$$. My 511s look like work pants and the logo in on the inside of the waistband. What you got against 511? I buy my clothing for performance, price, and comfort. Are you a brand bigot. :giggle:

Last edited:
The Eddie Bauer $15 Costco pants material feel very cheap, like kid snow pants material. They are loud. I own the Costco version. I don’t think the ones you buy at Eddie Bauer feel like that though.

The Wrangler ATG’s are pretty nice for the price, but a little on the baggy side. Some might prefer that. I own these as well and wear them often.

Prana Zion straight are the best in my opinion. A little pricey, but can be found on sale easy enough.

This guy is right about the noise, though I still prefer them over my Pranas for day to day use. Maybe it’s because they lack cargo pockets and are cut more like a pair of jeans. But for $15 I still think they’re hard to beat if you’re not wearing socks on a 20 yard stalk to a bedded mule deer 😂

But it does scream KUIU in giant WHITE letters on the front thigh. Plus it screams twice the $$$. My 511s look like work pants and the logo in on the inside of the waistband. What you got against 511? I buy my clothing for performance, price, and comfort. Are you a brand bigot. :giggle:

When you always carry a gun, you don't wanna advertise it. I want to blend in, 511 garb is a big tip off IMHO.