Gen 2 Tacoma Reliability?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
From what I can tell, the frame issues didn't affect the 2014's did they? I'll give it a once over next time I can, but that's sounding like the only major thing to be aware of.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you are doing it...seems like a good move. I figure a used vehicle with a known history is a totally different animal than a random used vehicle anyway, and if its a good deal then its a no-brainer. I'm no fanboy of these and I think the reputation for reliability is overblown, leftover from the pre-tacoma and gen1 days, but most seem to be good trucks. We had early and moid-90's toyota trucks that were great, and both got replaced with gen2 tacomas. Between the two we found some common themes in needing work on them, although we each had other issues too. In no particular order:
A/C went out on both of ours at about 60,000 miles. Other friends also had theirs go out.​
leaf springs are simply a poor design. We both had recall fixes on leaf springs early-on, and then proceeded to break several sets of them. My 06 I went through 4 sets of leaf springs. My wifes 3 sets. I have numerous friends who drive tacomas and most had leaf spring issues at some point. Note, I mean we BROKE leaf springs, I am not talking about the squeak.​
frame rust was definitely an issue, although we live in Northern new england where the vehicle is caked in frozen salt-slush for 6 months out of the year. Toyota replaced both our frames under their recall....still havent worked out the math on that, but appreciated that. Brake lines, etc were extra.​
I had the front differential go bad on mine--broken gear or something, had to replace it.​
We both had rust issues on the steering rack that needed replaced​
My wifes needed head gasket seal replaced at about 130,000 miles​
Mine needed the steering column u joint replaced at about 120000 miles​
I want to say there was another relatively major issue with one, but cant recall what it was. In short, they are pretty reliable vehicles, but the "just gas/oil it and it'll go forever" thing is a myth as far as my experience has borne out. Luckily the Ac, leaf springs are pretty cheap fixes in the scheme of things, and it seems most folks dont have the other major issues. I certainly would not avoid them, any company kicks out a turd once in a while and toyota seems to do so less than some others.
My vehicle I sold at 160,000 miles after I got a bigger boat and needed a larger tow vehicle. My wifes had to be towed away at a little over 200k miles. She replaced it with a newer tacoma which she likes.
I think the northern new England explains every one of your issues. Haven't seen any vehicle that makes it through that crap unscathed. That 6 months of salt slush destroys everything.

My 06 has 276k, and just basic maintenance. Any vehicle has things that go out over 200k. I've done the wheel bearings, easy fix once you have done it. Fixed my temp gauge, and replaced AC compressor 7 years ago. Bought it with 35k on it. It's treated me well and been all over the country. Wouldn't expect any vehicle to be at this mileage without general repairs. I'd drive across the country in it tomorrow without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Possible, but I dont see it quite that way. For the most part my opinions are informed by comparing new england vehicles to other new england vehicles, so I dont think its fair to say Im comparing apples to oranges. It would not surprise me to learn that hwy dept’s are using more-corrosive stuff and more of it than in the past, and that explains why our newer vehicles rusted away faster than older trucks. However, I dont understand how salt corrosion would explain more frequent broken leaf springs compared to other similar local vehicles, nor how it would explain internal problems with differential or engine seals that other local vehicles havent had. I’m not at all suggesting they are worse than other similar vehicles, my only point is to say that they are not in some other category of vehicle that simply isnt subject to repairs or issues the way some folks seem to believe.
Regardless, I think they are good trucks, I just dont see the reputation and “toyota, and everything else is junk” brand loyalty, which seems closer to cult fervor in some cases, matching the reality that I have seen. Thats all. I’d own another toyota in a heartbeat if I thought it fit me best. We may be pretty much on the same page as far as that goes.

CorbLand

WKR
Possible, but I dont see it quite that way. For the most part my opinions are informed by comparing new england vehicles to other new england vehicles, so I dont think its fair to say Im comparing apples to oranges. It would not surprise me to learn that hwy dept’s are using more-corrosive stuff and more of it than in the past, and that explains why our newer vehicles rusted away faster than older trucks. However, I dont understand how salt corrosion would explain more frequent broken leaf springs compared to other similar local vehicles, nor how it would explain internal problems with differential or engine seals that other local vehicles havent had. I’m not at all suggesting they are worse than other similar vehicles, my only point is to say that they are not in some other category of vehicle that simply isnt subject to repairs or issues the way some folks seem to believe.
Regardless, I think they are good trucks, I just dont see the reputation and “toyota, and everything else is junk” brand loyalty, which seems closer to cult fervor in some cases, matching the reality that I have seen. Thats all. I’d own another toyota in a heartbeat if I thought it fit me best. We may be pretty much on the same page as far as that goes.
I get what your saying and I agree that Toyota isnt the "best and only vehicle one should own" but they are still better than most everything. I do think that other manufactures have increased quality and are building things to match what Toyota has been doing for 20 years. When Toyota started making most of their pickups, nobody else was doing what they did. That has now changed.

Macintosh

WKR
….I do think that other manufactures have increased quality and are building things to match what Toyota has been doing for 20 years. When Toyota started making most of their pickups, nobody else was doing what they did. That has now changed.
Agree, except I would argue that rather than everyone else catching up to toyota, that they met in the middle, because my experience is toyota durability/reliability is not as good as it was 20 years ago.

Regardless, probably not something to be afraid of more-so than other vehicles—I think we can all agree on that.

I’ve had a few Tacoma’s. Love them. Recently got a 2018 with low miles. Im
Hoping the 3rd gens are built like the older gens

kythunter

FNG
My 1998 Tacoma 4x4 V6 5-speed has 209K and still going strong. Recently test drive a 2010 and 2015 Tacoma and decided to keep the 98. The Gen 2 are nice. Many upgrades.

I’ve got a 2010 with around 200k on it. No real issues, just general maintenance. If you can get that truck cheap, I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Especially with rates and prices now a day.

They are solid, you will get 200k out of it easy. Issues? The only issues on the second gens were.

- Wheel bearings, for whatever reason, these models were subject to wheel bearing replacements.
- Temperature gauge would go out (hot solder disconnect)
- Paint was shit, it will go eventually clearcoat
- AC units would go out
I don't know what you've been reading but these 2006+ Tacomas were the beginning of the end of the Toyota Quality myth.
My 2006 Doublecab, V-6 6sp manual:
2500rpm at 75mph, reverse gear was so tall I had to go 4-lo to avoid roasting the clutch on any kind of grade.
Rear leaf springs were shit, and Toyota flat out refused to talk to me about it until they had to issue a recall years later then said 'suck it' on reimbursement for the parts I told them needed to be recalled.
If you have blue or yellow Bilsteins, replace with 5100s and do not follow the fanboy advice to lift the front using spring preload. Buy a pair of OME 883 coils and do it right.
Listen for the rear window to rattle loose on cobble roads in the backcountry and catch it before it falls out and breaks.
Listen for the trim strips in the roof to peel off at freeway speed and go missing.
Be VERY GENTLE with the fuel filler door. It's barely tacked on with two pieces of rusty steel and will flip right off.
Alloy wheels will oxidize if you even look at them.
The list goes on...
PM me for all the fixes I performed.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of my 2010, at 100k the only thing it's needed beyond regular fluids is a tension pulley.

I will say it's horrifically undersprung in the back. My original leaf spring pack looked like a handlebar moustache. I got new leaf packs last year free from a dealership through a TSB or recall. The new leaf packs aren't any better. I still hit the bump stops hard with just a few hundred pounds in the bed.

In a few years when the TSB leaf packs are completely clapped out I'll probably replace them with some aftermarket old man emu or deaver pack. I keep kicking that down the road because it will probably be a whole can of worms to check brake line lengths and drive shaft angles when the time comes.

Yarak

WKR
05’ Tacoma here
Near 300K and no issues just normal maintenance
Had this truck since new
Know of another 05’ with over 500K and normal maintenance

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Im right at 300k in my 2007 4wd v6. Its been a great truck...had it since almost new. Had the class action lawsuit warranty for frame replacement done. Have had to replace front right wheel bearing and CV, U-joints/carrier bearings, some paint work, radiator, clock spring/spiral cable, and power door lock actuators. Thats for the 13 years and 270k miles ive had the truck. Im not mad about it.

I'm a big fan of my 2010, at 100k the only thing it's needed beyond regular fluids is a tension pulley.

I will say it's horrifically undersprung in the back. My original leaf spring pack looked like a handlebar moustache. I got new leaf packs last year free from a dealership through a TSB or recall. The new leaf packs aren't any better. I still hit the bump stops hard with just a few hundred pounds in the bed.

In a few years when the TSB leaf packs are completely clapped out I'll probably replace them with some aftermarket old man emu or deaver pack. I keep kicking that down the road because it will probably be a whole can of worms to check brake line lengths and drive shaft angles when the time comes.
I did the OME Dakar leaf pack and removed the 3rd leaf for, what I think is perfect spring rate along with Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. Rode level with OME 883 coils and 5100s with no preload.
No driveline vibe or brake line issues at all.
Toyota should be embarrassed at the shit springs they spec'd for these things.
Couldn't put a bigger TRD decal on it and it's a joke...they left out the 'e'.
TeRD.