Pellet Grill/smoker recommendations under $700ish

I already own a gas grill, Weber Kettle and Weber WSM.

I just bought a Pit Boss 5-series vertical pellet smoker and I'm liking it so far. I wanted a larger smoker with more capacity and the ability to hang sausage, jerky, hams and fish.

If i want to grill, I'll use a grill. I wasn't sold on the smoker & grill concept.

PA Hunter

WKR
Your gonna need to pony up more $$ for a quality smoker save up a little more and just bite the bullet and get a Yoder. Buy once cry once. I went the cheaper route years ago and my last two fell apart.

Which model?

I have the original Daniel Boone with wifi, which I see they now call a "Choice" model.

I can't really decide if I'd spring for the wifi again since I rarely use it, but now I see they released new "Prime" models, and I like the added features of the wifi model Daniel Boone - the glass on the front of the hopper and the shelf across the front of the grill would be nice to have. If you want to go cheap and skip all the bells and whistles, this would be my choice: https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/daniel-boone-pellet-grill-non-wifi-blk/

The first one you linked above on amazon is their "tailgate" model and runs off a cigarette lighter in a vehicle, and its too small to cook up like steaks or chops for a family.

During holiday weekends (memorial day, labor day, fathers day especially), they typically have $50 off.

My other advice is to either keep it in your garage and just roll it outside to use, or keep it covered when not in use. I've left mine uncovered and had a good thunderstorm and it turned the pellets into mush, and then when they dry, they clog up the auger.

Whisky

WKR
IF you think you can get by with this size, the Rec Tec Trailblazer 340 will be your best quality option in your price range. They are built better then all of the other similar priced options, with better controllers also.
https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

If you need a bigger one, for under $700, flip a coin or buy what is most convenient. They are pretty much all built the same and it's luck of the draw if you have problems with it or not, as evidenced by the various posters in this thread..... My opinion

CAH

FNG
I've gotta throw the Pit Boss 820 out there. 450 bucks and it is the cats meow. Never had an issue with it and the food turns out amazing.

NDGuy

WKR
I've gotta throw the Pit Boss 820 out there. 450 bucks and it is the cats meow. Never had an issue with it and the food turns out amazing.
I was checking that one out too good price on Amazon usually.

three5x5s

WKR
After you get your smoker give ThermoWorks a look. Lots of stuff to help get things to the right temp. They have great sales if you sing up for the emails. I over cooked everything till I got thermometers.

Last edited:
My dad and I have the RT700 model of Rec Tecs, they have both been great so far.

Last edited:

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Camp Chef Smokepro DLX for $550 (cover included) and it's been awesome. I use it maybe once a week and it sits outside. It gets pretty beat with high winds and 100*+ weather in the summer where I'm at, but it's been 100% reliable so far.

OP
BRTreedogs
I got a Camp Chef Smokepro DLX for $550 (cover included) and it's been awesome. I use it maybe once a week and it sits outside. It gets pretty beat with high winds and 100*+ weather in the summer where I'm at, but it's been 100% reliable so far.
How long have you had it?

OP
BRTreedogs
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I ended up getting the Daniel Boone for $500 plus a $50 gift card back.
Get out feet wet and see how much we actually use it. I'm not at the house very much.
If it makes it a few years and we get some decent use out of it I'll look at a yoder next time.