Petition - OTC for Colorado Residents

Rich M

WKR
Conrad read the law pertaining to that, settled by congress.
States manage the wildlife, not the feds.

Good luck cnelk, sounds like residents are getting fed up down there too.
It isnt about “managing the critters” - it is a trespass fee for federal lands. They are paid for by fed, not state.

wytx

WKR
Not sure what you are saying, states manages the wildlife, anyone can access federal lands but to hunt they need a licenses from the state.
And yes this is about too many hunters at certain times and managing their numbers.

Gerbdog

WKR

They gotta make changes across the board if we want kids and grand kids hunting elk in CO. Probably need to limit areas to hiking / biking / mushroom gathering during certain times of year among other things.

CO HTNR

FNG
I live in a beach town. I can assure you there’s tons of people around here all year long.
I can almost guarantee you have a better chance of seeing less people and a decent rack at the beach in Florida than in Colorado.

Recent winter kill, addition of wolves, encroachment of human development, marketing of information from digital platforms for profit, YouTube hero’s and general Californication of Colorado is really jeopardizing the current tag model in Colorado.

The fact of the matter is Colorado’s OTC structure is driving the sales for many of the western hunting companies and revenue to CPW from NR tags has created a mess. We even have ranching for wildlife where large land owners get to make up their own hunting seasons and sell premium hunts to the rich. Nothing but corruption.

This lemon has been squeezed to its last drop. There is simply no more juice left, and action must be taken now to protect this way of life for our children and their children.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
I can almost guarantee you have a better chance of seeing less people and a decent rack at the beach in Florida than in Colorado.
We will have to agree to disagree on the people. There’s still some good “racks” to be seen on the beaches.
Recent winter kill, addition of wolves, encroachment of human development, marketing of information from digital platforms for profit, YouTube hero’s and general Californication of Colorado is really jeopardizing the current tag model in Colorado.

The fact of the matter is Colorado’s OTC structure is driving the sales for many of the western hunting companies and revenue to CPW from NR tags has created a mess. We even have ranching for wildlife where large land owners get to make up their own hunting seasons and sell premium hunts to the rich. Nothing but corruption.

This lemon has been squeezed to its last drop. There is simply no more juice left, and action must be taken now to protect this way of life for our children and their children.
That’s a shame. Colorado is such a beautiful state to hear that it’s going down the tubes. I’ve been many times but only during the winter. Florida lacks snow covered mountains to snowboard 😅 Next year would be the first time hunting there. I even signed the petition against reintroducing wolves. From what I’ve read, residents have almost been ran off from hunting their own state because of NR. I signed the petition that started this thread. Y’all should have all the opportunities at your finger tips. As a NR, I’d be fine with having to draw because if I read the reg book correctly it states that there are no unsuccessful draws. If I’m wrong on that please point me in the right direction.

Poser

WKR
How is overcrowding an issue when other states sell way more than CO hunting licenses. Maybe park the side by side and go walk. Also without federal money what would elk population be today?

Are you comparing high density whitetail states’ total licenses sold to CO? Comparing states with 20 deer per square mile to a state with many square miles PER ELK or deer is in now way equatable.

Mcribs

FNG
How is overcrowding an issue when other states sell way more than CO hunting licenses. Maybe park the side by side and go walk. Also without federal money what would elk population be today?
CO sells the most elk tags, by far. And there’s 5.8 M people that live here. So yes, it’s crowded and we just want to hunt local without supporting the rest of the USAs desire for a mountain adventure with a weapon.

CO HTNR

FNG
WesternMDShooter still waiting on which states sell more tags to non residents.

tdhanses

WKR
CO sells the most elk tags, by far. And there’s 5.8 M people that live here. So yes, it’s crowded and we just want to hunt local without supporting the rest of the USAs desire for a mountain adventure with a weapon.
I get what you mean and one could say then invest in your own private oasis and buy some land if you don’t like others, without federal public land most residents wouldn’t hunt am I wrong? At some point the majority of federal lands will be sold, just the direction the country is heading and the remaining public lands will be swamped with all types of recreational activities. I can say that the 10 or so million western hunters won’t last without support from the majority of society outside its borders in keeping federal lands, heck seems like it’s most western politicians that keep trying to sell off federal lands.

Also to say you don’t want to support the rest of the USA’s desire to hunt is funny since the rest of the USA props up the lands you hunt on if they aren’t private or state lands. Maybe it is time to sell federal lands to the states, then it’s fully your burden and your statement can ring true. Yes the state owns the wildlife but the entire country feeds them.

In reality study up CA as CO is CA Jr and heading to that model fast, only diff is CO will have wolves further reducing hunting. Doubt many get an op to hunt in 30 years with the direction the state is going, Mt. Lions will be off limits shortly, but these are all state issues and NR shouldn’t interfere with state issues.

Last edited:

Mtndawger

FNG
I get what you mean and one could say then invest in your own private oasis and buy some land if you don’t like others, without federal public land most residents wouldn’t hunt am I wrong? At some point the majority of federal lands will be sold, just the direction the country is heading and the remaining public lands will be swamped with all types of recreational activities. I can say that the 10 or so million western hunters won’t last without support from the majority of society outside its borders in keeping federal lands, heck seems like it’s most western politicians that keep trying to sell off federal lands.

Also to say you don’t want to support the rest of the USA’s desire to hunt is funny since the rest of the USA props up the lands you hunt on if they aren’t private or state lands. Maybe it is time to sell federal lands to the states, then it’s fully your burden and your statement can ring true. Yes the state owns the wildlife but the entire country feeds them.

In reality study up CA as CO is CA Jr and heading to that model fast, only diff is CO will have wolves further reducing hunting. Doubt many get an op to hunt in 30 years with the direction the state is going, Mt. Lions will be off limits shortly, but these are all state issues and NR shouldn’t interfere with state issues.
Hunting represents a small percentage of the total federal pie as it relates to federal lands. Based on that it’s much too convenient to argue that NR should just cut off federal funding because they can’t hunt in a given western state. Or that we should sell off federal lands then because they have reduced hunting opportunities. Speaking of which, it is on no way a given that federal lands are going to be sold because “that’s where it is heading”. Those kinds of unsupportable statements are a form or disinformation that clouds rather than clarifies the very difficult issues we are tasked with solving.

Last edited: