Petition - OTC for Colorado Residents

tdhanses

WKR
Hunting represents a small percentage of the total federal pie as it relates to federal lands. Based on that it’s much too convenient to argue that NR should just cut off federal funding because they can’t hunt in a given western state. Or that we should sell off federal lands then because they have reduced hunting opportunities. Speaking of which, it is on no way a given that federal lands are going to be sold because “that’s where it is heading”. Those kinds of unsupportable statements are a form or disinformation that clouds rather than clarifies the very difficult issues we are tasked with solving.
95% of public land users touch maybe 10% of them. It only a matter of time that a large chunk are sold off, just based on the direction the country is headed.

Mtndawger

FNG
95% of public land users touch maybe 10% of them. It only a matter of time that a large chunk are sold off, just based on the direction the country is headed.
Speculating about what you personally think the future holds does nothing to help us solve our current situation. It doesn’t take into account the multitude of other uses, including recreational, commercial and extractive, that occur on federal lands other than hunting. Nor does it account for the opinions of the millions of Americans who support the uniquely American ideal of federal ownership and thereby personal access to millions of acres of land, EVEN IF they never get to step foot on a fraction of it. Our federal lands system represents a critical part of the democratic ideal of America itself. But that is all a digression. The fact remains that right here and now something needs to be done to fix the situation in Colorado. Please read the attached link. https://www.steamboatpilot.com/opin...ange-the-west-has-too-many-visiting-hunters/#

tdhanses

WKR
Speculating about what you personally think the future holds does nothing to help us solve our current situation. It doesn’t take into account the multitude of other uses, including recreational, commercial and extractive, that occur on federal lands other than hunting. Nor does it account for the opinions of the millions of Americans who support the uniquely American ideal of federal ownership and thereby personal access to millions of acres of land, EVEN IF they never get to step foot on a fraction of it. Our federal lands system represents a critical part of the democratic ideal of America itself. But that is all a digression. The fact remains that right here and now something needs to be done to fix the situation in Colorado. Please read the attached link. https://www.steamboatpilot.com/opin...ange-the-west-has-too-many-visiting-hunters/#
Maybe the feds need to manage hunter access to federal lands, states can still issue the tags for their animals but hunting is managed on a federal level to reduce overcrowding on federal lands, maybe limit the number of days a month a person is allowed to hunt on federal lands and require a federal permit for a set timeframe to legally be allowed to hunt any species. I mean we need people to stop just thinking they can have their own playgrounds, maybe apply for a time and place to hunt but not be guaranteed to get it because they only give out a right to access to a limited number of people.

There is a lot we can do to reduce overcrowding on public lands.

wytx

WKR
Yep and controlling NR hunter numbers is one of the things that can be done to reduce crowding on federal lands, and state lands for that matter.

Federal lands getting sold off is a convenient argument but not happening anytime soon.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
What is the argument here? A lot of "you can't eat your cake and have it too" going on.

If you want to hunt CO as a resident, move here. Otherwise, the system needs to go draw for the benefit of everyone.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
What is the argument here? A lot of "you can't eat your cake and have it too" going on.

If you want to hunt CO as a resident, move here. Otherwise, the system needs to go draw for the benefit of everyone.
If I was going to move to any Western state on the sole premise of improving my hunting opportunities, it sure as hell wouldn't be Colorado.....and I've been here my whole life.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to move to any Western state on the sole premise of improving my hunting opportunities, it sure as hell wouldn't be Colorado.....and I've been here my whole life.
I guess you misunderstand my post. NR are complaining that they would no longer get a "freebie" elk tag every year and have to put in for the draw like every other western state model. Yet they will go home and blast whitetails in their home state that won't sell me an OTC buck tag. If you want to have elk opportunities every year, then move.

I would like better quality hunts for everyone. OTC system needs to change for both R and NR. CPW cash cow has to end.

Last edited:

HOT ROD

WKR
Threads like this all ways amazes me it does not matter if its Colorado Wyoming Idaho or any other western state the NR entitlement comes to a head when it comes time to cut NR tags or start limiting NR tag to LQ tags... Colorado should of went LQ NR elk tags years ago and kept resident OTC as far as CPW revenue when they finely go LQ NR all they have to do is double the price of elk tags and they will still sell every tag and if there is still a short fall of revenue they can raise every other big game price. NR are going to foot the majority of the bill all ways have and all ways will if U dont like it move to Colorado..

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you misunderstand my post. NR are complaining that they would no longer get a "freebie" elk tag every year and have to put in for the draw like every other western state model. Yet they will go home and blast whitetails in their home state that won't sell me an OTC buck tag. If you want to have elk opportunities every year, then move.

I would like better quality hunts for everyone. OTC system needs to change for both R and NR. CPW cash cow has to end.

I have no dog in the fight, but come visit Virginia. We'll sell you an OTC license with six whitetail tags, three of which can be used for bucks. The same license includes turkey tags, and you can also by an OTC bear tag every year.

It is not the same as Western hunting, but if you want to hunt, there is plenty of opportunity.

if U dont like it move to Colorado..
If you want to hunt CO as a resident, move here.

you guys with this ridiculous statement. what would it change if everyone did move to CO? not a damn thing. I'm no Einstein but explain how having more people move there will equal less people being there? you know what else would fix the overcrowding problem? birth control.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
you guys with this ridiculous statement. what would it change if everyone did move to CO? not a damn thing. I'm no Einstein but explain how having more people move there will equal less people being there? you know what else would fix the overcrowding problem? birth control.
Everyone is moving here, it already is a problem.

I don't understand the backlash when R want to have better hunting opportunities in their home state. People can choose where they live and enact change as well.

And the fix to overcrowding (for the time being), stop selling unlimited OTC tags to NR.

Last edited:
People can choose where they live and enact change as well.
you are correct in that. we can choose where to live, but someone shouldn't be told they have to live somewhere just because you say so if they want to hunt elk. I do not live in CO, yet I hunt there, and signed the petition to help res. enact change. so what would be the difference if I did move there? then you would be stuck with me in the woods all the time, not just a few weeks.
the backlash is not from wanting to better the opportunities, it's from the selfish remarks and disrespect for fellow hunters. you really should see how many NR's signed the petition, you might be surprised. but the more the R's complain and bash NR's the less likely they are to help. not to mention that the majority of overcrowding is coming from hikers, bikers, huggers etc. yet you guys want to focus your anger on the very people who can help you.​
my only issue was with that statement. I have no say one way or the other what CO does with its system. if a fellow hunter asks for help, I help that's it. do I think as an American I should have the same right to hunt elk as you do? absolutely. what state I'm in has no bearing on any of it.

And the fix to overcrowding (for the time being), stop selling unlimited OTC tags to NR.
while I can't totally disagree with you, let me just tell you that it will not stop you from seeing large #'s of people in the woods. instead, you will see the wrong type of people and it may be worse. when the spots are open from the hunters, the huggers will move in because that's what people do. you have Cali mentality moving in fast out there, and that's something far worse than some guy from Texas running through the woods bugling on opening day.
let me also say, as a NR, I have never ran into another hunter in the woods during archery elk unless I sat at a trail head. I have however ran into a guy mountain biking with a radio taped to his bike and the volume way up as well as a guy backpacking his few month old up the mountain while it was screaming. now if only I could run into a hot blond in distress. but yeah, hunters are the problem.

Sako76

WKR
Wasn’t DOW just recently running “Come hunting in Colorado “ads on the Sportsman’s Channel? I’ve elk hunted Colorado as a NR since 1992. Be careful what you ask for! Between the bad winters, wolves, mountain lions and anti hunters those ads may start popping up due to lack of funds to run your wildlife management program!

tdhanses

WKR

What’s funny is CO needs more hunter types and less of what’s moved there, while not a resident I do own a property that I’ll probably live at part time once the kids are out of the house but if I wanted to have good resident hunting I’d buy something in WY and become a resident there.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Everyone is moving here, it already is a problem.

I don't understand the backlash when R want to have better hunting opportunities in their home state. People can choose where they live and enact change as well.

Even if all NR were booted many R would eat tag soup and complain about crowding. The wolves will reduce opportunities for R far more then NR and the R voted in the wolves, doesn’t seem like CO sportsman need NR help on conservation, they seem to be fully in control. Hopefully we see fewer posts of R asking NR to petition for them on issues like this.

Truthfully I’d like to see some federal public lands be sold off or at the very least require states to fund 49% of their care taking. The model today is funny when you think about it, most east and west coast states fund the majority of public land and most NR fund state wildlife agency’s while R sit back and say we are owed something.

Last edited:
I would pay more, but that argument comes up all the time and gets shot down as quickly as it comes up......because we aren't hunting "land"........we're hunting state-owned wildlife.
People miss, and guess where that arrow ends up? In the land. I left a broadhead in a big NF hemlock this year… I may have not been hunting that tree, but I surely shot its ass

Nr here signed and shared. Hopefully they will eliminate nr otc and keep it otc for residents.
I think that should always be the first step to a state trying to deal with overcrowding… once things settle out, reassess and go from there.

Residents should be the last to lose opportunity hunting in their home state imo

Gerbdog

WKR
I think the OTC model worked "ok" until they started taking more and more OTC units away and now the OTC units that are left get absolutely hammered. They need to just drop the OTC system altogether. That said: They need to identify calving areas, and limit any and all access into those areas when the elk are calving. The herds are suffering, and ive seen areas they limit access too for the goats/sheep, they should do it for the elk as well. It's the poor calving % thats hurting the herds the most which i read some article at some point that said if you bump a pregnant elk like... shoot, just 3 times? Something like that, she aborts the pregnancy.

tdhanses

WKR
I think the OTC model worked "ok" until they started taking more and more OTC units away and now the OTC units that are left get absolutely hammered. They need to just drop the OTC system altogether. That said: They need to identify calving areas, and limit any and all access into those areas when the elk are calving. The herds are suffering, and ive seen areas they limit access too for the goats/sheep, they should do it for the elk as well. It's the poor calving % thats hurting the herds the most which i read some article at some point that said if you bump a pregnant elk like... shoot, just 3 times? Something like that, she aborts the pregnancy.
I agree on that, OTC needs to go away, there will still be plenty of opportunities they’ll just require some planning and not a last min decision to go on a walk in the woods.