Photography- one photo a day

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
9ed20a9bed6107c99065433fb9cb2d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevek

WKR
I know this is supposed to be a single photo of the day, but this series of pics are just a few of the many I took that morning when these two bucks started to fight. I took these photos in South Texas last year on January 9, 2021. One single photo would not do justice. I really need to post about 25 -30 more photos from the start to the finish to see the intensity.
10-IMG_1772-21.jpg11-IMG_1774-21.jpg12-IMG_1776-21.jpg13-IMG_1781-21.jpg14-IMG_1801-21.jpg15-IMG_1806-21.jpg16-IMG_1837-21.jpg17-IMG_1846-21.jpg

Last edited:
I know this is supposed to be a single photo of the day, but this series of pics are just a few of the many I took that morning when these two bucks started to fight. I took these photos in South Texas last year on January 9, 2021. One single photo would not do justice. I really need to post about 25 -30 more photos from the start to the finish to see the intensity.
View attachment 366879View attachment 366880View attachment 366881View attachment 366882View attachment 366884View attachment 366885View attachment 366886View attachment 366887

The difference in color of the two bucks is amazing.

Brute

Lil-Rokslider

Nice series of the fight. How long do you think it lasted?
Here is a couple Muleys back in 2014 going at it. It's one of the longest fights I 've seen so far. It was just over a minute and a half. Seems like most fights just last a couple seconds before one of them runs off.

Muley November 2014 a-7300.JPG

Muley November 2014 a-7301.JPG

Muley November 2014 a-7310.JPG

Muley November 2014 a-7315.JPG

Last edited:

Stevek

WKR
The difference in color of the two bucks is amazing.

Yes it was. I think the one buck had some internal parasites and he had not lost all of his summer hair coat. It had been very dry that year on this ranch. Rest of the deer were a normal color.

Stevek

WKR
Nice series of the fight. How long do you think it lasted?
Here is a couple Muleys back in 2014 going at it. It's one of the longest fights I 've so far. It was just over a minute and a half. Seems like most fights just last a couple seconds before one of them runs off.

View attachment 366923

View attachment 366924

View attachment 366925

View attachment 366926
I will have to check the data on those pics to tell but guessing just over 1 minute. Most fights are very short. I have photos of 10 or so with longest 1.5 minutes. Longest I have seen lasted just over 9 minutes way back in the early 90's. I have been able to observe a whole of of fights in the last 30+ years and most are short....10-20 seconds to be exact. Some last longer but most are over pretty fast.
Those are really great mule deer pics! I have not seen mule deer fight when I had a camera with me. Did see two big mule deer bucks fight in Alberta when I was hunting there back in 2007. I ended up killing one the bucks later that morning about a mile from where he lost the fight. He scored 180 and the other one was about the same size. I did see a mature West Texas whitetail fight a 3-4 yr old mule deer buck and that little whitetail(body size) shoved that mule deer all over the place. The mule deer was twice the size of the whitetail.
I looked back and this fight in the pics lasted 56 seconds.

Last edited:
I had two mature bucks go at it almost under my stand in Illinois years ago. I was stunned by how much noise they made and by how brutal the fight actually was. I was damn glad I wasn't on the ground during all that! They went at it for about 2-3 full minutes. Seemed like an awful long time to me.

Stevek

WKR
I had two mature bucks go at it almost under my stand in Illinois years ago. I was stunned by how much noise they made and by how brutal the fight actually was. I was damn glad I wasn't on the ground during all that! They went at it for about 2-3 full minutes. Seemed like an awful long time to me.
Yes, I do agree that most fights even though short, are brutal. The bucks are really trying to kill the other buck in the fight. I have watched bucks win one fight and immediately get jumped on by another buck that came to the fight. I took photos of a two fights that happened like that. In South Texas you will see bucks rolled over or pushed through thorny brush and knock over cactus. I took photos of 2 mule deer bucks that had been in a fight I am sure, one had a broken tine and the other one had a bloody eye socket. Eye was poked out. In all of the fights I have seen it seems like time stands still and when I check the amount of time from the first photo to the last one I amazed at just how short the fight was. I have found bucks locked up and one or both dead. Most are beat up and poked full of holes by other bucks that came to the fight. I found two bucks locked up and both beat up and poked full of holes on March 5th one year. They had been dead about a day when I found them. I shot a management buck on a ranch in South Texas only to have a really big typical buck come in and fight/poke/shove the dead buck all over the place for about 3 minutes. It was very late one afternoon but still took a bunch of photos of the buck trying to kill the already dead buck.

Last edited: