Pine Gluch Fire in CO and my upcoming hunt

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Colorado archery mule deer tag for unit 31 and hunting partner has a mule deer tag for 21. So we were planning to hunt the border of the two units.

When I look at the map the pine gluch fire is in the middle of the unit. I will be at the very north of the unit and plan to arrive around September 5th. I live in Pennsylvania so I have very little experience with wildfires. So should we consider hunting a different area further from the fire? or do we just need to wait and see what happens?

Also, thoughts and prays to all the residents being affected by these wildfires.

Thanks in advance.

brsnow

WKR
Check where the boundaries are set for the fire. It is fluid and not controlled currently, but it will let you know how close you can get and also check road closures.

wytx

WKR
This week is going to be very difficult for that fire. I would check with CPW and USFS updates on it before making plans. Things could drastically change this week for all the fires.

11boo

WKR
No one knows for sure, but a Fruita fireman I know has been working support on that fire. He thinks they won’t get it out without help in the form of rain.

As Phaseolus said "We are?" he lives here I live here? Haven't heard anything like that here in GJ (thats Grand Junction for all those not on the ground) on the news or at the incident command center, which is at our fair grounds about 6 miles from me. Must have missed it? We dropped off some bottle water cases this morning. 87k acres

Its hot 90's & 100 this week, 10% thunder storms on Thursday, which could only mean dry lightening strikes.

Here is the few last week from my home looking north toward the fire

ycdkVE0h.jpg

nDFI7Wrh.jpg

Today the same view point

OD9omfuh.jpg

This one you should see the Grand Mesa behind the power lines,

5XravA2h.jpg

If anything the air quality pretty much sucks and white ask every where.

Keep us updated when you get more from US ;)

Jgelk, I would say just keep tabs on the official incident website and reach out to CPW. Many times areas will be shut down after a wildfires for quite some time. Just hard to say right now.

We used to live full time in the mountains and had to evacuate our home a couple of times. Sucks to have a whole neighborhood of homes only a mile away get burnt down to only the foundation left behind.

With something like fires there is uncertainty. I would expect that in a population of people there would be variation of opinions as to the end state of a situation with inherent uncertainty.

bwlacy

WKR
Being from the midwest I'm also curious how to treat these fires. Can you camp and hunt 20 miles from a large fire? Whether it's this one or one of the others currently. Does it depend on wind direction? I know things change daily with the fire and weather, but looking for general guide lines I guess.

Been watching inciweb daily to see what's going on.

I feel really bad for the people that live in the areas there are fires going on.

def90

WKR
I have a Colorado archery mule deer tag for unit 31 and hunting partner has a mule deer tag for 21. So we were planning to hunt the border of the two units.

When I look at the map the pine gluch fire is in the middle of the unit. I will be at the very north of the unit and plan to arrive around September 5th. I live in Pennsylvania so I have very little experience with wildfires. So should we consider hunting a different area further from the fire? or do we just need to wait and see what happens?

Also, thoughts and prays to all the residents being affected by these wildfires.

Thanks in advance.

Keep track of the fire here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6906/

They will show the current border of the fire as well as any evacuation areas. Also keep up with the CPW website, sometimes they will close down a larger area around a fire during hunting season to decrease the chance that a firefighter or someone else gets shot at accidentally. Not sure that would ever happen but I've seen that excuse used in the past.

This site has several other links with satellite maps

Add these to your links, see the Alerts & warning, has the closure orders and Maps of the closed areas, I hope these can help you guys coming in from out of states

Last edited:
Can you camp and hunt 20 miles from a large fire?

That depends on a number of factors, including the type of terrain and vegetation, prevailing winds, weather patterns, etc. 20 Miles sounds like a long way but if a fire changes directions it can cut off access to roads. That may trap you in a spot where the resources needed to fight the fire are now concentrated on getting you out. Try to make sure you have multiple routes in and out of an area.

Also, consider the amount of smoke in the air. Coming to Colorado from a much lower elevation is already taxing on the lungs. I live here and was having a hard time catching my breath when I went up to the mountains this last weekend. Hopefully, all of these fires can be contained before the seasons start but I wouldn't count on it. Pine Gulch is 87000 acres and only 7% contained right now. It would take several days of cool, wet weather to get that one out in time. Forecast doesn't look good for this scenario.

Good luck and stay safe.

Pine Gulch now 125k acres, second largest in CO history, and only 7% contained. Half the unit is burned and forecast is still for hot and dry.

I was working in UT when the Rattle Complex Fire happened on the Utah side of the Books. Truly amazing how that country funnels and creates weird wind patterns causing incredible blow-ups and runs.

Kindo

WKR
As Phaseolus said "We are?" he lives here I live here? Haven't heard anything like that here in GJ (thats Grand Junction for all those not on the ground) on the news or at the incident command center, which is at our fair grounds about 6 miles from me. Must have missed it? We dropped off some bottle water cases this morning. 87k acres

Its hot 90's & 100 this week, 10% thunder storms on Thursday, which could only mean dry lightening strikes.

Here is the few last week from my home looking north toward the fire

ycdkVE0h.jpg

nDFI7Wrh.jpg

Today the same view point

OD9omfuh.jpg

This one you should see the Grand Mesa behind the power lines,

5XravA2h.jpg

If anything the air quality pretty much sucks and white ask every where.

Keep us updated when you get more from US ;)

You must be in a similar neighborhood as my buddy. The day it flared up, he said he could just feel something in the air that day. His pics are from his little hobby farm.

Attachments

• B9D18C10-E6A7-44DD-997C-9AEEC491B26A.jpeg
    B9D18C10-E6A7-44DD-997C-9AEEC491B26A.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 162AD6C1-3070-461A-A949-307B45EB67E6.jpeg
    162AD6C1-3070-461A-A949-307B45EB67E6.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 59
  • F64849AF-2E60-4FB6-AD3B-6B2A27F06B0F.jpeg
    F64849AF-2E60-4FB6-AD3B-6B2A27F06B0F.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 53
Just out of curiosity, will animals use the area that's been burned again this year or do they typically stay away untill vegetation starts growing back?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
Just out of curiosity, will animals use the area that's been burned again this year or do they typically stay away untill vegetation starts growing back?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

These fires won't stop until we get prolonged (2-3 days) light rain, or some snow, and then it'll take more moisture and warm weather for things to green up. I wouldn't expect much/any new growth in the areas that are actively burning this year for sure, and possibly next year in areas as well (crown burns will leave the soils and all plant life 'dead' for a year or two).

Will animals cross the burn to get to other areas? Maybe. Will there be pockets that re-green and hold animals? Maybe. We're talking over 130,000 acres just for the Pine Gulch Fire, an area over 20 miles across in spots, there are no hard rules for the animals but I wouldn't expect to be allowed into that area to hunt/recreate until at least mid/late September.