Pine Ridge Nebraska Turkey or Black Hills South Dakota Turkey???

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
I am flying to Rapid City April 26 and leaving April 30. RT flight from KY was $300!!
I am doing some research on where the most productive areas within a 2 hour drive will be.
I am a very experienced turkey hunter. I will be backpack hunting and camping unless the weather is real bad.

In the hills there are turkeys everywhere. Bring cold weather gear because we have been known to get snow even late April (Lead is known to get 6 inches of snow in April) and if not snow it will rain and get down to freezing overnight. Other than that, do what you normally do. Its not a particularly difficult place to hunt if you're used to walking in hills like that, which being you're from Kentucky shouldn't be an issue. As always check the fire status as there are many years where no fires are allowed in the hills. Good luck, and have fun! West river SD is a great hunting experience.

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
In the hills there are turkeys everywhere. Bring cold weather gear because we have been known to get snow even late April (Lead is known to get 6 inches of snow in April) and if not snow it will rain and get down to freezing overnight. Other than that, do what you normally do. Its not a particularly difficult place to hunt if you're used to walking in hills like that, which being you're from Kentucky shouldn't be an issue. As always check the fire status as there are many years where no fires are allowed in the hills. Good luck, and have fun! West river SD is a great hunting experience.
Would you recommend SD Black hills over Nebraska's Pine Ridge?

Right now its hard to say. there is currently a fire in the hills that has caused evacuations of a bunch of people and closed some areas of the parks. This year might be a good year to head down to nebraska. I have heard mixed things from my friends about going out there after a big fire, and i don't know how big this one is going to get.

I just returned from hunting turkeys in Nebraska and was blown away by the amount of pressure there was. It wouldn't have swayed my decision because I was also going to hang out with some buddies and do some camping, but it would factor into the equation if I was debating between two states and/or only looking to kill birds.

hobbes

WKR
If you are flying into Rapid City, I'd recommend hunting the Hills. There is a lot more room to avoid other hunters than the Pine Ridge. You can't really wait to see what the weather looks like to pick a state because you have to order BH licenses online. However, I love the Pine Ridge too. I've just not been there since 15.

rcsd6x5

FNG
The fire is over and it wasn't that large, relatively speaking. The Black Hills holds plenty of Turkey, cannot speak to Nebraska. Good luck!

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
As a seasoned traveling turkey hunter, doing it way before it was "cool", if you want the Black Hills to remain that way....it's best not to go online telling everyone how great it is.
As another seasoned turkey hunter, I wouldnt consider Black Hills turkey hunting great. From my experiance it is pretty difficult for a trip across the country

As another seasoned turkey hunter, I wouldnt consider Black Hills turkey hunting great. From my experiance it is pretty difficult for a trip across the country
"Wy is by far the best place to hunt turkey. More birds, easier to call, more gobbles, easier to locate"

lol

Of course if you never go back, there's no harm for YOU in advertising that across multiple threads on this forum and even on other forums. But it sure sucks for the others who routinely hunt out there.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading to SD soon- anyone hunted out there after May 15th when they open the service roads? Wondering how much the off road traffic effects the birds- not sure how much ATV traffic they get. Certainly will push them farther from roads but from hunting out there previously the hills are so densely gridded with forest roads its not like you can give the default ' get away from the roads and you'll find birds' type answer.

i was going to be there over Memorial weekend but scrapped that as figured the hills could be pretty busy given a holiday weekend