Pistol for AK adventures...

What do you guys know about the .460 XVR? Apparently able to shoot .460, .454, and .45 long Colt... a google search pulled it up on another forum.

Mike

My (work) partner carried one for a year or two in the field. Nice gun, but very heavy, expensive, slow to draw, and low capacity (5 rds). Would make a sweet hunting gun, but as a full time carry gun he thought it less than ideal and sold it.

Yk

jherald

WKR
Hells Canyon, if your buddy wants to go to the range sometime, drop me a pm. I'm out in Bethel area.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger or S&W .44 mags are pretty much the "standard" carry gun up here. Lots of .460's, 500's, .454's etc also, but I haven't met very many people yet who actually practice with those big cannons. At $2-$4 a shot, its simply too expensive for most people. The .500 in particular is a expensive beast to feed. They are fun to shoot though. :)

One warning on the 329. They recoil back fast enough that many of the heavy loads will jump crimp and lock up the gun. My brother carries one, but can't use anything stronger than HSM 300 gr loads. The 320's or the +P 300's will cause problems in his gun. He's also had a couple issues with the recoil tearing up internal parts, and it's been back to the factory once for a rebuild.

I mostly carry a Glock 10mm now. Not because I think it's better, but because I can just flat shoot it faster and more accurately than I can my .44's. The extra capacity is a bonus that that doesn't hurt. Sure I might not get more than a couple shots of if a bear charges me..... but its 50/50 odds that it will be chewing on my partner instead, and I want all the rounds I can get in that scenario.

The Ruger .44's aren't getting sold though. I like them too.

Yk

Couldn't agree more with YK...love my Ruger RH .44 but carry my Glock 29 10mm for the above reasons.

$

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like my buddy ended up grabbing a 454 casull there locally!
JHerald, not sure if you know any fire fighters there but his last name is Hoffman, great guy him and his wife just moved up there last year!

Mike

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
First summer in AK I bought a Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun in .44 Mag. That thing has been everywhere. After some professional training with pistols I found out how much better a shot I am with pistols as that is what I train with. Now I run a G20 loaded with Double Tap 200gr WFNGC Hardcast. I use the 200gr as it shoots fairly close to my 180gr practice loads. I bought a few boxes of DT ammo before the latest scare and when that runs out I have a few boxes of just the DT bullets. I'll load those up next.

I've debated selling the Mt Gun, but its fun to shoot and I do occasionally switch it around. I just have to remind myself which one I have and there is a danger there as in a high stress situation you go to muscle memory...... I'm considering adding a 870 Marine Mag to the fold to have on family float / camping trips. I think my wife would do better running a shot gun than a handgun defending her "cubs." Of course training would be needed, but debating adding that option. She is a good revolver shot so current plans has her running the .44 Mag, even though her normal revolver is a .357.