Pnuma Selkirk

ADK_Man

FNG
interested in selkirk vs sitka downpour - bunch of reviews that werent big secrets on the downpour referenced sleeve moisture issues due to wicking. that has me looking for other waterproof jackets that have tree harness holes hence my interest in the selkirk
I’m at the upper end of the Pnuma sizes and some of the other brands of “athletic” cut hunting clothing fit me in certain pieces but not everything. Pnuma is cut a little more generously in my experience. I found the Selkirk jacket to fit generously, was quieter than most other rain gear, seemed well made and I’m sure more breathable than other brands. The Selkirk pants however were an odd
fit for me, short in the crotch (short zipper too) and they seemed to cling around my knees and pull down when I walked (felt like the membrane was clinging). I returned them only because of the fit of the pants which could be just me. One other note, the lifetime warranty is great, but I was advised it was voided by using any kind of scent spray or bug spray on the clothing. I also decided the camo pattern was a little too tan for me, I do a lot of hunting in conifers and need some green/grey. I do love the Pnuma merino wool though it’s the best.

I'm going to go with Pnuma based on everything I've read. If some person wants to get their panties in a bunch and not share some bad experience public, then screw em. That's about as shady as can be. Just say your peace and move on.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I see you work for pnuma, welcome aboard! Definitely buy more than you can afford.

Seeing as you are new, Ill let you in on the secret that people (like you) get butthurt when someone badmouths their favorite tampon maker. In an effort to keep things civil i have given those who are interested an honest appraisal of my experience with the quality of the product in PM form. This chaps your ass apparently, so move on if you work for the company or piss off if you are as moronic as you sound.

Happy new year!

Lol, works for Pnuma? Hardly, I work as an I.T. Guy with my own business in Alaska, look my name up as I don't have any reason to hide a damn thing.

I've just seen this kind of secret, behind doors stuff in forums before. The post was more recent enough that I felt it a good time to have at someone clearly acting like this is some sort of middle school gossip game.

The only kind of people who act like that are either full of it, butt hurt former employees, the competition trying to hurt someones brand, or a customer who didn't get his way because they were unrealistic. I'm simply looking for new gear and hate when people muddy the waters. As someone who wasn't apart of these forums prior to this, I'd either have to let that stick in the back of my mind or get involved. I sure didn't want to play the "PM me too" game, it's just childish in my opinion.

I've never owned any Sitka, Kuiu or Pnuma. I'm literally in the process of finding my gear for the next season. I wasn't going to pay $550-600 for Sitka, and Kuiu seems more lightweight and colder for my area. So it was either find some steals on Sitka Stormfront or my finding Pnuma and taking a bet on a less known name that seems well regarded so far. Minus a few people talking about some fitment issues, you are the only person saying to ruuun. If something was that serious, why not post it out in the open to help your community. Possibly something of a personal nature or you don't want Pnuma sueing you for libel?

Just say your peace, if you've got some legitimate qualms with their gear, then I'll retract my accusations.

Last edited:
OP
T

tex0373

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying their puffy in the solid color. I really like the jacket, however, it’s not packable. I haven’t been rough on it at all either though, just wearing it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the jacket for tree stand hunting its great and the side zips line up with most layering pockets and for my aegis bibs

Umpcoos

FNG
I have the Selkirk bibs. Generally high quality except the suspenders are cheap and thin. Waterproof and breathabailtiy is as advertised.

I wouldn't get them again because the material attracts stickers worse than any hunting pants I have ever owned. Depending on where you hunt, it makes them unusable in the brush.

They are also bulky and heavy but i expected that.

They should keep the same technology and concept but find a new face fabric.

I have to ask, has anyone purchased anything from them in the past few months? Tried calling a few times this week, and it goes to a message saying to email an Amber at Pnuma. I sent an email and finally got a response yesterday. I had requested to speak with someone. It took 3 days for a response and I responded back within 1 minute of the email with my phone number for them to call to speak about their different lineups.

We shall see, I just sent another follow up to see if they will respond, but I've got seriously doubts about buying something with a lifetime warranty if it's this difficult to get a hold of the company, and if they only have a single point of contact...

I'll see how my interaction goes with them when (if?) they call.

between my & a couple of friends we've bought several things from them... I'm a huge fan of the base layers & Tenacity pants ...
I exchanged one thing & it did take a lot longer for the process to play out than I thought it should. They also told me they would refund the shipping charges but didn't but I just overlooked it.
I tried calling too & got the same result you did with the emails, etc. Very frustrating
It's also very frustrating to not be able to try on something, have to return it for exchange & have over $30 just in shipping.
The biggest problem I've seen is their inventory or lack thereof. I would've bought several more things but they never have anything in stock. When you ask about a lead time they say they have no idea & that it may be several months or more. WTF?
I just stopped even going to their website.. too damn frustrating.

Sad because I was ready to order from them, and their gear seems like with time and updates could be one of the better out there, competing at 1/2 that of Sitka and with a lifetime warranty to boot.

But it seems like they are ultra small and not taking their business seriously from what I've gathered. I always wonder why some companies do this.

joshjt25

FNG
I have the selkirk endurance jacket and pants. They are okay. They are quiet and a softer material that eventually wets out where I hunt - oregon coast brush country. For the price there are better options. I dont see a big difference from cabelas rain suede. I wish I would have went with Kuiu.

I spoke with Amber this last week on the phone for over 1 hour asking every possible question.

Apparently the 2020 camo will be changed to the same pattern that Prois uses. The parent company owns and makes that brand for women.

Anyhow, they explained that they finally started advertising early 2019 and it blew their sales up in a way they never expected. They are hiring up more people for the 2020 season to handle the new load. They profusely apologized for the delay in response and gave me some great insight into their entire lineup and what made the most sense for the conditions I hunt in.

She also corrected me on a point I brought up. Even if you manage to burn your gear around the fire at camp, they will cover it. That was surprising to me.

I'll probably go forward with getting some gear from them, with the understanding that they aren't going to have 1-2 day turn around while they grow as a business.

We shall see if it ends up being worthwhile. I'm going to give the Selkirk a go.

I have the selkirk endurance jacket and pants. They are okay. They are quiet and a softer material that eventually wets out where I hunt - oregon coast brush country. For the price there are better options. I dont see a big difference from cabelas rain suede. I wish I would have went with Kuiu.
How long have you had them and did they wet out when brand new? Those are the endurance ones too right, not the main Selkirk?

I have the Selkirk All Weather jacket and pants. Out of the gate both had to be returned because of defects.
Used them on a hunt in Alaska and they failed miserably in the moderate weather we encountered. They wetted out easily and with no way to dry them rendered them useless. Way over priced for a mediocre set of hunting gear.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I have the insulator vest and so far I love it. Fit is a little bigger than I thought but not a big deal. Last summer I emailed them asking for when the vests would be back in stock and received an email from their CEO ( I believe his name was Adam) and he responded to my email and apologized for the delayed response. The vest is a little on the heavy side but not a big deal since I use it in a treestand. In the future might invest in some of their base layers.

IDed

FNG
Run the other way...quickly
Ill pm you this evening
I was just considering getting the Pnuma Selkirk jacket. What're people's opinions now having owned the jacket, or other Pnuma products, for several seasons?