Was this a “clean miss” or a hit?

• Hit

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • Miss

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters

wyodan

WKR
I feel if they were close enough to take a shot, they were also close enough to walk over there and take a look. That did not look like a responsible shot from my perspective.

My first reaction was that it was a hit. After replaying it a few times, I'm not sure.

It looks to me like they decided it was close enough to send a long shot at a moving bull but too far to actually go look around afterwards.

Being it that the guy didn't want to shoot a broken bull for his first, the decision seems to have been based on the size of the second bull.

Laramie

WKR
My first reaction was a hit but after watching a few times I do think he missed. Along with the others commenting before me, I think the shot selection was poor at best.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't see a hit, and there is a lot of other things that makes me think it was a miss. But, I can't rule one out watching video on my phone. Regardless, IMO, if you take a shot, it is a hit and you own that animal until you prove otherwise.

Last season, a friend took a shot, was pretty sure it was a miss. But, I just couldn't leave till I climbed the 30 minutes to the top of the saddle. Until I saw the saddle and searched, I treated it as a hit.

In the video, he dialed, the elk walked at least 20 yards further away, and he didn't dial more. It is very possible he may have sent one at his feet, and that made the elk jump. Elk could have caught some shrapnel in the back leg. All speculation though.

I hit an elk in the lungs at 590 and he just stood there. Hit him two more times before he fell over. I was sending bullets till he was dead.

That shooter may have practiced shooting, but he didn't practice killing. I bet he took a ton of single shots. Doesn't look like he practiced shooting till the animal was dead. If you think you hit an animal, and then you don't stay in your scope and keep sending bullets, then you are not acting responsible IMO.

Shooter looked like a prairie dog, pulling his head up out of the scope too much. He should have stayed in the scope and been sending more rounds if he thought it was a hit. If he thought he hit him, why didn't he send another shot? It wasn't until later that they determined it was a miss. That was convenient. I don't think they could call it a miss any more than us. They certainly didn't talk much about it on camera.

IMO, if you shoot long range, you better have the skill to make a fast follow up shot, or just don't take the shot. I see too many who can pull the trigger, but they aren't ready to keep shooting and follow up a bad shot or less than lethal shot.

Only half the story on that video. You never see a range finder. Lots of that event edited out or not filmed. Later in the video he proclaims "first elk".

So you have an inexperienced and excited elk hunter that just trotted down hill, set up on a downhill slope, shooting down hill at a moving elk.
Seems like a good recipe for a miss to me.

That bull had a forked dagger. That was pretty damn cool.

The Poll lacks the choice of "Cant tell".

ODB

WKR
I can't see a hit, and there is a lot of other things that makes me think it was a miss. But, I can't rule one out watching video on my phone. Regardless, IMO, if you take a shot, it is a hit and you own that animal until you prove otherwise.

Last season, a friend took a shot, was pretty sure it was a miss. But, I just couldn't leave till I climbed the 30 minutes to the top of the saddle. Until I saw the saddle and searched, I treated it as a hit.

In the video, he dialed, the elk walked at least 20 yards further away, and he didn't dial more. It is very possible he may have sent one at his feet, and that made the elk jump. Elk could have caught some shrapnel in the back leg. All speculation though.

I hit an elk in the lungs at 590 and he just stood there. Hit him two more times before he fell over. I was sending bullets till he was dead.

That shooter may have practiced shooting, but he didn't practice killing. I bet he took a ton of single shots. Doesn't look like he practiced shooting till the animal was dead. If you think you hit an animal, and then you don't stay in your scope and keep sending bullets, then you are not acting responsible IMO.

Shooter looked like a prairie dog, pulling his head up out of the scope too much. He should have stayed in the scope and been sending more rounds if he thought it was a hit. If he thought he hit him, why didn't he send another shot? It wasn't until later that they determined it was a miss. That was convenient. I don't think they could call it a miss any more than us. They certainly didn't talk much about it on camera.

IMO, if you shoot long range, you better have the skill to make a fast follow up shot, or just don't take the shot. I see too many who can pull the trigger, but they aren't ready to keep shooting and follow up a bad shot or less than lethal shot.

This is exactly why i said what I said about the repeated “hitem again”. Because it generally means all those small errors have added up into one big cluster-mess that is trying to be overcome by more lead. there is a panic and uncertainty that is palpable just after the shot here.

Flyjunky

WKR

Exactly why I said he should have stayed in the scope and sent another while that bull was standing broadside. You practice good form and manage recoil so you can stay on your shot, rack a new round, and send it without moving off your target.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
First time I watch it I think it hit, but when u watch it a few more times, like everyone else said, you kinda see the dust fly up and watch the Elk more as It walks away etc. and I think he missed, but I think maybe the dirt/rock/whatever else flying up from the ground maybe stunned the Elk and he had a "wtf" moment there

Flyjunky

WKR
First time I watch it I think it hit, but when u watch it a few more times, like everyone else said, you kinda see the dust fly up and watch the Elk more as It walks away etc. and I think he missed, but I think maybe the dirt/rock/whatever else flying up from the ground maybe stunned the Elk and he had a "wtf" moment there
I agree but I don't think that was dust, it looked like the elk exhaling (like said earlier).

FLAK

WKR
Let me add that I would have also been watching that draw to see if the bull ever came out or up the other side.
Then I would have been over there looking for blood and back the next morning scouring the whole area trying to put eyes on him. Dead, alive or otherwise.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is exactly why i said what I said about the repeated “hitem again”. Because it generally means all those small errors have added up into one big cluster-mess that is trying to be overcome by more lead. there is a panic and uncertainty that is palpable just after the shot here.
Agree, he sent a bad shot, and there was indecision after. Bottom line for me, he may have practiced the one shot, but, he wasn't ready for the one shot he took from a compromised position. And, he never practiced the follow up shots. If he would have sent a follow up shot, he would have missed too.

I want to look at the video on my computer, it has me curious now.

Exactly why I said he should have stayed in the scope and sent another while that bull was standing broadside. You practice good form and manage recoil so you can stay on your shot, rack a new round, and send it without moving off your target.
Agreed. Lack of preparation and lack of skill. Managing recoil is absolutely critical with hunting rifles. You need to be prepared for a good first shot, and to able to make follow up shots, IMO.

Reactions: ODB

Vandy321

WKR
They conveniently edited the range call out of the video to not catch sh*t for shooting beyond what most would deem reasonable on a moving ,cross canyon/draw, quartering away bull, then continuing on to hunt to fill a tag for the video. Poor form.

Looks like a miss to me. Also even though it’s not on video how do we know they didn’t go over and look for blood.

My 1st impression was a hit.

After subsequent viewings I can agree with the appearance of a miss.

If they were able to watch the bull afterwards and not see any blood, appearance of injury, etc and hopefully went and examined the ground for blood, then I can agree with it being a miss.

I agree that the biggest mistake he made was taking the shot in the first place at a moving bull at long range and then not being ready with a follow-up shot at the standing bull.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This is what goHUNT has to say on their youtube page.

"Hey John. We understand where you're coming from, but that was 100% a complete miss. On the footage of this shot you can clearly see the bullet hitting right in front of the bull, zoomed in, and in slow motion in the field reviewing it, it was easy to see it was a clean miss. Also, that bull when Chris missed, had moved one ridge over and for the next hour they watched him rutting cows and they were able to watch him from all angles, otherwise yes, they would have dove off into the timber and searched for a day if it had been hit. We are not hiding anything here one bit. Watch the footage and you will see the miss."

The fact that they watched the bull act normal for an hour is an acceptable verification that no significant wound was inflicted to me. They should have included something about that in the video though, smart people manage perception when intentionally advertising their actions to others.

I agree with all the responses above about "I hit him (with surprise)". I expect to kill with every shot I take or I don't take the shot. I did not catch the exact yardage but if it was over 500 you could easily not see blood on the elk or find blood initially. I don't like this side of hunting. My gun is capable so I will try it. "he is a great general tag bull" so I had better let it fly......

ODB

WKR
I agree with all the responses above about "I hit him (with surprise)". I expect to kill with every shot I take or I don't take the shot. I did not catch the exact yardage but if it was over 500 you could easily not see blood on the elk or find blood initially. I don't like this side of hunting. My gun is capable so I will try it. "he is a great general tag bull" so I had better let it fly......

100% here.

I swear when I watch it the bull acts as though he is smacked in the ass and tucks in a bit. I keep thinking he is hit on the right ham.