• Hit

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • Miss

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters

Marble

WKR
I wish I knew the yardage..

Seems like something hit it. Maybe a graze or debris from striking the ground. Seen similar things happen

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The thing that stands out to me is this is far below goHunts normal quality. Does anybody with a couple llamas get a goHunt special now? Is that how this works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris is the President and co founder of GoHunt.

Dibenes

FNG
Can we talk about the shot selection as well? WTF? Definitely hit him as well. I love his response. "I hit him!", like he can barely believe it. How far was that shot?

These Youtube glory hunters are really starting to get old with their questionable choices.
It’s one thing aiming for proficiency and another altogether trying to take the furthest shot, sad to see

Flyjunky

WKR
I know this is the internet and people here never miss or make a bad shot at a distance they normally feel comfortable with, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the distance. None of us know the distance or the ability of the shooter.

The shot could have been well within the shooters comfort zone but just made a bad shot. I don't have a problem with the shot distance as much as I do about taking that shot with a moving animal and the angle at which the elk was when taking the shot. Then not staying in the shot and sending a follow up when a good broadside shot presented itself.

Like was said earlier, in the heat of the moment I don't take what he said about hitting the elk as being surprised....it was in the heat of the moment and it's easy to Monday morning quarterback.

I'm sure if we all had a camera on us for all our shots we could be critiqued as well.

DCAN

FNG
Lots of questions on this one. Footage makes it difficult to call, but my first reaction is a hit. Why no follow up shot? My thought is if you can't prove it's a miss, then it must be treated as a hit. Lots of tracking should have been in the cards for those guys. However, when the goal is to shoot a video for the glory, why waste time tracking? Just change the narrative, call it a miss, and go find another for the camera. Pathetic display of self serving behavior. Just my opinion based on 50+ years in the mountains.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm sure if we all had a camera on us for all our shots we could be critiqued as well.

Yes, but lots of us are not trying to make money off of hunting. They chose to post the video. They also chose to be lazy and not detail why it was a "clean miss" on the video. That, and no amount of bad behavior and/or poor choices by others justifies an individual doing the same.

The shooter missed, clearly he was not capable of the shot and him saying he did not understand what went wrong shows he is not very good at learning from his mistakes either. If that shot was inside his comfort zone, then he clearly has a disconect between his understanding of his abilities and his actual abilities. If he had said something like "I shoot at that distance without issue on the range, but clearly that does not carry over to field conditions" he would have gotten my respect. My personal comfort zone for a shot is short because I have missed and realized I'm not as good as I though.

I did not watch the entire video, so correct me if I missed something.

DCAN

FNG
Yes, but lots of us are not trying to make money off of hunting. They chose to post the video. They also chose to be lazy and not detail why it was a "clean miss" on the video. That, and no amount of bad behavior and/or poor choices by others justifies an individual doing the same.

The shooter missed, clearly he was not capable of the shot and him saying he did not understand what went wrong shows he is not very good at learning from his mistakes either. If that shot was inside his comfort zone, then he clearly has a disconect between his understanding of his abilities and his actual abilities. If he had said something like "I shoot at that distance without issue on the range, but clearly that does not carry over to field conditions" he would have gotten my respect. My personal comfort zone for a shot is short because I have missed and realized I'm not as good as I though.

I did not watch the entire video, so correct me if I missed something.
Sadly, a small minority of "hunters" leave a stain on the rest. Social media will be the death of our sport. Videos like this are just another nail in the coffin. Makes it just too easy for the anti hunting crowd to have something to point to.
If there had been some discussion, like you said above, it would have swayed my opinion. Even some discussion of having tracked the bull for an hour or two would have been a nice addition to the story. Hopefully they did.
I too didn't finish the video, so if they did, then shame on me.

Rock-o

WKR
What is a clean miss? What is a not-clean miss? Is the not-clean miss a miss or a hit? What is proper terminology for a not-clean miss? Sounds like terminology trying to sell a miss that either was actually a poor hit and the animal couldn't be located or they were not sure if the animal was hit or not. It's either a hit or miss.

Without using slow mo it looked like a possible hit to me. I believe I would have promptly sent a follow up shot. And based on what I saw using a phone, what they would have had in the field I would have searched for hair and blood. Then I would have spent the next day trying to relocate that bull.

I can’t question the decisions that were made up to the shot and directly after.

What I do question is the actions or lack thereof well after the shot. If Gohunts response is the truth why on earth would they not take and include the footage of them relocating the bull and confirming it was in good health. They have top of the line camera equipment, optics and digiscoping equipment. And that footage is way more important to the story line of the hunt than a llama taking a leak for a minute and pesto being made in a tent. Poor filming if they missed that footage and terrible editing of it was omitted.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Without using slow mo it looked like a possible hit to me. I believe I would have promptly sent a follow up shot. And based on what I saw using a phone, what they would have had in the field I would have searched for hair and blood. Then I would have spent the next day trying to relocate that bull.

I can’t question the decisions that were made up to the shot and directly after.

What I do question is the actions or lack thereof well after the shot. If Gohunts response is the truth why on earth would they not take and include the footage of them relocating the bull and confirming it was in good health. They have top of the line camera equipment, optics and digiscoping equipment. And that footage is way more important to the story line of the hunt than a llama taking a leak for a minute and pesto being made in a tent. Poor filming if they missed that footage and terrible editing of it was omitted.

That is the take away point for me. The vast majority care more about the elk than anything else in the video. Seems goHunt forgot that when editing the video... they lost their way in this narrative, IMO.

kpk

WKR
I think he panicked thinking that elk was going over the ridge and rushed/pulled the shot. Elks reaction looks to me like the round splattered right in front of him. Elk backed away and then went down and around where he initially planned to go which seems unusual if he was hit.

Either way it was a sketchy shot to begin with and then he didn't follow up the shot?

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Bull definitely acted hit, but when you watch that couple seconds over and over again, it looks like to me there's a puff of dust that flies up from just in front of the bull, so he pulled the shot to the right. Bigger question is, if that bull is far enough to be dialing a scope, why the heck is he taking a moving shot? That's just recipe for disaster

Just looking across at the 14:52 mark you can barely see elk as light brown specs at the top of the brownish tree. I can only guess what the yardage is but the fact is that's a loooong ass shot & no way I'd even think about taking it even on a broadside animal. Maybe the Jimmy Johns guy could hit it but not me. LOL
At the angle the elk is when the shot is taken you probably only have a window of just a few inches in order to hit vitals. Just very poor judgment overall IMO.
Maybe GoHunt should do a follow up video with more context & info about the yardage & especially what they did afterwards to confirm a miss. It just comes off as flippant & nonchalant about declaring it a miss & moving on without an exhaustive search.