Possible Solo North Slope Hunt

Partner just pulled out on our Caribou Hunt. Thinking about going solo. Anyone one on here done that lately? Any input will be appreciated.

rayporter

WKR
it was 11 years ago when we had a float trip paid for and my partner had a stroke. i was goin no matter what.

i had a hard time finding a partner. after the trip a dozen came out of the bushes laff. they knew it was a free trip and they did not pony up

i did finally find a geezer to go along because the float would have been pretty rough on me at 60. anyhow he did not appreciate the trip even though he did get one.

go for it - heck if i wasn't all busted up i would go with ya.

Northpark

WKR
Heck I just drew a great NV deer tag and can’t get anyone to go with. My philosophy is hunt when you can. I say go for it.

mcseal2

WKR
I would go solo if that's the way it worked out. I have not done a trip like that solo, so take my advice for what it's worth. I'm lucky enough to have a good hunting partner and we do all our out of state hunts together. If I ever go on one he chooses not to, or can't go on, I'll go solo. I hunt in my home state solo 90% of the time and enjoy it.

Solo on a hunt far from help just remember to hunt smart. If you are in unfamiliar terrain keep a good mark on where camp is. Stop and look back toward it every now and then to mark the terrain from that angle. Also make good decisions and be honest with yourself on how far you can pack meat across tundra. Keep safety in mind and take a Sat phone or other communication device in case things go majorly wrong. I always have a Seek DST tarp and a few stakes in my pack on a remote hunt that I can set up shelter with using trekking poles if I need to.

I have gone to doing quite a bit of my fishing and camping on the river solo since my buddy I fish with and I have both got busier with work and family. It's harder to get our schedules to line up, and I'm going to fish when I can. The river I fish is shallow with a fast current and a lot of logs and rocks. I hear of deaths on it almost every year. I run a jon boat with a surface drive motor to traverse it and have to be running the shallows at 20mph plus to get through them. I fish the places I do primarily because very few people can get to them so I get solitude and untapped fishing. Going solo so much makes me appreciate how much a good partner can help with tasks around camp or the boat. Going solo makes me think through my approach to things more. Doing everything myself and having all the success or failure based off my decisions is very rewarding to me. I find I appreciate the solo time more and more too as life gets busier.

I wouldn't let going solo hold me back, I'd just think through all my decisions a little more and be smart about my actions. Limit risk where you can and enjoy it.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
after sam died i loaded the horses and headed out every year till last year. the hi country has got to me and i have had my last elk hunt. i can still load up and deer hunt here. i have several that will go when they get free but if they are slow they will be following my ponies in. it is a 5 hour drive and a 2 hour pack in and that dont include saddling up. so to make camp by dark i have to be rolling at daybreak in the fall. i love every minute too.

but last year i found a new pard and we went bear hunting. sea level was mo betta. going back to alaska next year too.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Partner just pulled out on our Caribou Hunt. Thinking about going solo. Anyone one on here done that lately? Any input will be appreciated.

What type of hunt is it, and what’s your experience level with hunting solo or in remote Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
What type of hunt is it, and what’s your experience level with hunting solo or in remote Alaska?

I was just reading this thread and thinking I should have asked that before my reply earlier. Good point.

OP
A
Its a Northern Brooks Range unit 26c drop off hunt. I hunted solo multiple time in the lower 48 pack in for Elk and Deer. I have lived and hunted in both Bc and Alaska. I have not hunted the Tundra before nor have I hunted Solo in Alaska..

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Its a Northern Brooks Range unit 26c drop off hunt. I hunted solo multiple time in the lower 48 pack in for Elk and Deer. I have lived and hunted in both Bc and Alaska. I have not hunted the Tundra before nor have I hunted Solo in Alaska..

No red flags there. Only you can really assess your readiness, but I’d say go for it if your transporter will drop a solo hunter. Bring an InReach or sat phone.

Wrench

WKR
get in even better shape and know your limits. Choose your gear a little tighter to the bone....and have fun.

This is my personal nature, but I think I'd have some serious redundancies in place and be extra cautious. Check-in windows with a loved one every 24hr, multiple ways of communication, starting fire, staying dry, etc. You'd be in for an incredible adventure and even more self reflection, which is always good for a fella.

OXN939

WKR
Where in NV did you draw? I live in North Lake Tahoe area..

As Carson above me said, I'd have some more redundancies in place than a normal hunt, such as a PACE (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) plan involving comms windows that you have to hit or a family member/ buddy back home will get in touch with your outfitter to let them know something is up in addition to having a satellite messenger on you. North Slope can get pretty rowdy. When I killed my bull two years ago, an Arctic storm was just starting to set in and the viz dropped by about 2/3 each quarter I did... when I finally went back to get the rack, it was snowing and probably 30 feet viz with 30-35 mph winds. This was in the middle of August. As long as you take the necessary precautions, I'd send it

CAVEBEAR

FNG
Go for it solo, you have more than enough experience to pull this hunt off successfully. If able do some fishing along the haul road time permitting, and enjoy the drive.

Went solo last year, partner had emergency so could not go. Draw backs are it takes longer to get things done, clearing site, pitching tent, cooking and such. When you are successful harvesting, packing back to camp then to pickup site is a true chore. Positives are you only cook for you, you get to make all decisions alone. I got my caribou on the 3rd day of an 8 day hunt. Then fished, shot birds and did manage a curious wolf. This year, my grandson is going with me. Thought it would be once in a lifetime, now know the hunt will be continuous. Good luck.

mooster

WKR
Transporter may be uncomfortable with dropping you solo. Heck you have time to find and vet a partner. I’d be more comfortable with a 2nd person just from a safety standpoint. Unexpectedly, unexpected things happen.