Post hunt etiquette: Splitting/sharing meat

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm usually a solo hunter when I have tags in my pockets, but I did a group hunt this weekend with 4 guys where 2 of us were tag holders and 2 were not. I has the only one to fill a tag. It was an antelope so not a ton of meat to go around and I absolutely love antelope. We shared the heart that night and I definitely plan on cooking for the gang at a later date, but I also want to give them some meat too.

If we were splitting the bill at the butcher it'd be an easy answer, but I do all my own processing so I'm wondering: How do you all split up your meat post-hunt?

We usually split the meat between the hunters that have tags. Example: 4 people with elk tags and 3 harvest elk, all split the processing/shipping price and split meat between all 4. If only one person has an antelope tag, that person keeps and pays for it all. That’s just my group of hunters.

Bighorse

WKR
Well, if four people give up their time and accept risk, four people receive equal harvest. There is one small bonus for the shooter, the trophy and both tenderloins (the shooters trophy), so don’t gut shoot em!

This goes sideways if only one man harvests. One animal goes four ways. Two animals go four ways. Of course participants have rights of refusal but shooters don’t get right of denial. Hunting and harvesting is about teamwork and cooperation. Our basic understanding of community involves reciprocal relationships. Anyone going into the field with me earns a fair stake of harvest and will also be respected for their presence and willful participation in the hunt.
Respect! Take care of your hunting brothers

Attachments

• A5BEB4C3-FC11-49C8-8CC3-B48F70B26AFB.jpeg
    A5BEB4C3-FC11-49C8-8CC3-B48F70B26AFB.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

WyoKid

WKR
You take care of your team members. They rely on you and you rely on them for success in the field, safety and help in emergencies, packing meat out, performing camp chores, and having each other's back if things go south. While it took your efforts to find, stalk, and shoot it was because your team supported you in many ways to make it possibly. Don't loose that friendship and trust when there is plenty to share - if I eat, we all eat.

BuzzH

WKR
Our camp has always split elk with all the hunters with tags, deer and pronghorn each hunter keeps their own.

How do you split a single pronghorn with 4 people? Everyone enjoy their package of steaks.

A single pronghorn is not built for sharing 4 ways. I would probably grind the whole thing into sausage, except the back straps, and share that.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I have two stories of input on this regarding elk hunts. One in New Mexico. Hunted the Gila with a good buddy of mine in 2015. He drove out and I flew out and rented a car. We were supposed to hunt together , but he hired a guide from montana to help him. I was dropped off to hunt on my own most of the week. He killed a great bull and i screwed up twice missing huge bulls both times. Totally MY fault i didnt kill a bull as i had multiple chances. When the hunt was over, I gave him some gas money for part of the drive. He said it wasnt nearly enough to cover half, but it was well over half when you factor in total travel expenses with me flying alone an renting a car. We were originally supposed to fly and i had my ticket already. Also, I was fully expecting him to give me some elk meat since i hadnt kill one in 7 years or so. He didnt even offer once. I didnt come right out and demand it , but it was pretty clear i thought.

Other hunt was another good friend, and CURRENT , elk hunting buddy. We were in Wyoming on a 10 day hunt. I killed a bull on the last evening. Without question, we split everything up equally and loaded the coolers for the drive home. He would have done exactly the same. Anytime we hunt, this what we do. Typically we both kill, but sometimes neither of us do.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really just hunt with one guy for moose and caribou, we split it equally since we both do equal amounts of work. Heck, half the time we both shoot the moose.

When I have hunted sheep and goats, I've been solo so I kept it, I'd happily share with a partner who helped me find the sheep and pack it off the mountain.

That being said, I am fairly stingy with my meat as in I don't go around giving it away, half a moose and a good caribou is about right for me and the wife for a year. I love cooking burgers and ribs for friends when they come over but like I said, I'm not calling folks up and telling them to bring coolers to my house. ALthough, one year I got a moose solo, then got another one in winter so I gave a lot away.

This discussion is best had well before you get an animal down. Clear expectations lead to far fewer feelings getting hurt. We usually split equally among tag holders. If someone comes and helps pack out something like an elk they aren’t going to leave empty handed. This allows us to hunt in steeper nastier spots knowing somebody’s going to give you a hand. An antelope is different but I think sharing a little bit is reasonable.

Rob5589

WKR
Antelope are pretty small. I'd give each guy a pack of something, not much to go around. And elk there is significantly more yield so there is more to share. Deer is about the same as the lope, maybe a touch more. I personally don't expect anything but have no problem sharing.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
I think its a highly group-specific kind of thing to deal with. For me, anybody going on the trip is splitting gas cost even if they don't have a tag. Its usually around 3800 miles round trip so thats a decent investment in time and money and energy. I personally don't feel right asking someone to help out and then not offering them any meat if I kill something. I'd probably expect that to be reciprocated but I wouldn't be upset if someone chose not to offer me something.

This year a buddy and I hunted in WY. He had a cow tag and I had a general tag. I killed a spike and he had a couple chances but couldn't punch his tag. I gave him a shoulder and a backstrap and he was completely cool with that.

TSAMP

WKR
I do all my own processing. I typically hand out a few lbs here or there to buddies who went with. More If they show up and help process it, or more if I simply don't have space.. To expect some portion of a animal you did not kill is setting yourself up for disappointment in my opinion.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve shared and been given parts of elk at times. It was never expected or talked about prior, more of a result of things being a team effort and feeling like the right thing. As others have said a pronghorn isn’t a ton of meat to be sharing, I’d rather be gifted a couple thick ribeyes than have to split a single pronghorn