Posting unit #'s

Wags

WKR
You make some valid points. The point is not to weed out the hack hunters only (although that would be nice), the goal is just to reduce the number of humans in the woods.

Something has to give, someone’s gonna have to lose, and I don’t know how else to accomplish the goal.

Have you pressed CO game and fish to reduce overall tag numbers ? At the end of the day that's the most effective way to reduce hunters. Raising the cost won't do it for a lot of guys.

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you pressed CO game and fish to reduce overall tag numbers ? At the end of the day that's the most effective way to reduce hunters. Raising the cost won't do it for a lot of guys.
Will never happen without some replacement for the lost income. Hence my idea of a compromise.

ID_Snow

FNG
New guy question, I've seen a lot of post lately locked because of posting unit #'s. Does this actually cause more people to go the units people name. I could see where OTC units could be a big problem because anyone can go but what about unit that take 15 or 20+ points??
Seems like a great option to allow the post but lock comments so folks can solicit private messages. Keep the info from being out there for the world to see, but still let members offer assistance if they’re willing.

Wags

WKR
Seems like a great option to allow the post but lock comments so folks can solicit private messages. Keep the info from being out there for the world to see, but still let members offer assistance if they’re willing.

This is how help should be given if a person chooses to do so IMO as well.

And ban the hunting stories and recaps. Then ban the "this is what I learned" threads. Then ban the best gear threads. I mean its all just giving everyone an easy button and they should be pulling themselves up by their boot straps (just make sure no one tells them the best boots) and getting after it on their own with no help.
Yes, doing it yourself and learning as you go has always been and always will be the correct way.

The current societal trend to want to take the easy way, the path of least resistance in all things quite frankly is an embarrassment. Why are people so fearful of putting in any effort themselves or failing a couple times before they eventually succeed? It builds resolve, tenacity, and character.

I don’t know why I bother…

I don’t know Robby Denning from Adam but I don’t think anyone should be making videos and blabbering about the how to or where to about hunting anymore. There may have been a time in the infancy of the internet where doing so on forums like this didn’t result in widespread harm of one form or another. That ship has sailed. It’s just too damaging now and no one should be doing it. I don’t care who you are. Just hunt for the sake of hunting, for the sanctity and personal fulfillment. For the food and connection with Mother Nature. That’s it! No one needs to inform or broadcast anything about hunting or hunting locations on the internet anymore. Share it in person with those closest to you and those you deem worthy, if you choose. Leave the internet out of the experience.

This isn’t broadly anti-technology or anti learning. It’s about technology making the learning too easy and accessible and what’s become easy and accessible then making a scare resource oversubscribed, and ultimately less accessible. A viscous circle. There’s a difference between information learned through genuine effort, reading, researching statistics, talking to biologists, etc and someone jackass on a YouTube video simply saying apply here, and hunt here. If you can’t see the difference and the harm in that, and instead think it’s a good thing, you are clearly part of the problem.
Nailed it man.

You seriously think game agencies are intentionally reducing supply? Come on! Those tags enable the take of an animal. Without animals, we can’t have the numbers of tags! And guess what? We don’t have the animals to give anyone and everyone a tag! I can’t believe I’m even saying this out loud.

And yes, there is the R vs NR debate, but when the R’s pay the majority of taxes in that state, the R’s win, deservedly!
I'd be fine with no more nr hunting. Everyone hunt their own states. If Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and any other states residents I haven't offended yet back east want to hunt elk, start barking at your game dept's to reintroduce elk in your states. Or simply move your azz out west somewhere and become a resident. For me it would mean I couldn't hunt CO anymore, but the plus side of that is there would be 1 more elk for a resident to hunt each year 🤔

I'd bet that the people that listen solely to the jackasses on a YouTube video are part of the 90% of hunters that kill 10% of the elk. Their lack of research and effort is really not helping them kill more animals. But their funds are definitely appreciated by the F&G departments.

Regardless of how we got to where we are today, this is the reality we are in. Complaining that somebody else took the easy route to figuring out which unit to hunt in is not solving the problem or helping in any way. Almost every single generation in human history has had it easier than the last generation. That's just the way things work. If you are in your mid-40s, then I bet the guys around here that didn't grow up with the internet feel the same way about you.

I do agree with you that posting about specific locations or units should be taboo. But if somebody wants to give away their honey hole on the internet and ensure that there's 100 other hunters there next season, that's their decision and they have to live with it.
FYI, Guys in their mid 40s didn’t grow up with the internet. We didn’t use the internet at all for hunting purposes, i.e scouting, buying tags, etc. It was all boots on the ground.

gtriple

WKR
FYI, Guys in their mid 40s didn’t grow up with the internet. We didn’t use the internet at all for hunting purposes, i.e scouting, buying tags, etc. It was all boots on the ground.
The internet was released to the public in 93. People who are in their mid 40s would have been teens at the time, and therefore did grow up with the internet. You can argue semantics all you want, but the point is still relevant. Every generation has built-in technological advances that help them achieve more than the previous generation.

I'd be fine with no more nr hunting. Everyone hunt their own states. If Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and any other states residents I haven't offended yet back east want to hunt elk, start barking at your game dept's to reintroduce elk in your states. Or simply move your azz out west somewhere and become a resident. For me it would mean I couldn't hunt CO anymore, but the plus side of that is there would be 1 more elk for a resident to hunt each year 🤔
first, let me ask an honest question. what was the success rate for big game 20 years ago? and what was the species count back then?
if we're going to make this about NR then let's do it honestly.
as far as pushing game depts. for better opportunities, been there done that. RMEF has been doing that, and it just isn't working in every state. if you saw the reasoning behind why we shouldn't have elk it would make you laugh and want to slap people.
move out west? love to, tried, but thanks to Cali. we can't afford to.
it's not NR that are causing problems, it's the uneducated, undedicated, selfish and ignorant hunters that cause problems. and believe me, there are plenty out west. again, I have stories lol.

really? have you been out in the past few years? besides the fact that I was joking, people as a whole have actually gone backwards in many respects. more people have a hard time with the easiest of things. more people do know how to even take care of themselves. let's just not go there lol.

gtriple

WKR
really? have you been out in the past few years? besides the fact that I was joking, people as a whole have actually gone backwards in many respects. more people have a hard time with the easiest of things. more people do know how to even take care of themselves. let's just not go there lol.
I'll agree with you about the degradation of culture and the softening of people. But we are still making technological advances rapidly.

What's funny to me is most guys are guilty of taking advantage of other guys information, whether it be from the internet or tv shows. If you're from Oklahoma or some state that doesn't have a ton of public land, then you didn't grow up understanding how western public land hunting and draws worked.

I figured it out after going guided and digesting all the information I could from a lot of these guys people are mentioning. Now that I do understand it and have discovered spots on my own, the thought of some YouTuber or tv show sharing that spot is very maddening. If you find an area on your own then it's way more rewarding then having it handed to you.

So some guy just posts a question about that specific unit you've hunted or plan on hunting can attract attention to that unit and make the odds way worse in the future. Definitely has an effect.

SDHNTR

WKR
The internet was released to the public in 93. People who are in their mid 40s would have been teens at the time, and therefore did grow up with the internet. You can argue semantics all you want, but the point is still relevant. Every generation has built-in technological advances that help them achieve more than the previous generation.
The internet wasn’t relevant or useful for hunting purposes until well into the early 2000’s. There were no mapping tools, google earth, huntin fool, go hunt, Rando Newbie, etc until 10 ish years later. Even State game agencies had limited websites at best. No online stats, unit maps, proclamations, etc. And there certainly were no damn YouTube videos giving everyone the keys to the castle! What was there was limited to maybe a few basic online forums (when did Monster Muleys start?) that were only minimally used by a dedicated handful. There was no mainstream access. You had to work at it. I miss those days. To say those of us Gen X’rs and later grew up with the internet is totally bunk as it relates to hunting. That transition didn’t come along until around 2005 or so and firmly into millennial territory. Damn Millennials!1BE9E6ED-56B1-46AE-8BF9-7969DBD1A293.jpeg

Wags

WKR
Outdoor writers like Eastmans, Zumbo and the such are just as much to blame as anyone. Individuals like that were burning spots long before the internet was impacting hunting.

cnelk

WKR
Outdoor writers like Eastmans, Zumbo and the such are just as much to blame as anyone. Individuals like that were burning spots long before the internet was impacting hunting.

^^^ While that may be true in a very limited data base, those old articles arent 'searchable' and current like forums are

SDHNTR

WKR
^^^ While that may be true in a very limited data base, those old articles arent 'searchable' and current like forums are
And they require reading. Reading is hard. Videos be much more easier! 80% of the population doesn't read. 100% of the population watches.