Posting unit #'s

I don't know man. I'm not sure you can really blame Meateater and hunting shows as much anymore. To me the blame goes to Newberg, Epic Outdoors, Huntin Fool, Eastman's... The places that pump up specific unit numbers, broadcast OTC units and opportunities.

I've heard a lot of hunting media personalities have the internal conflict of blowing up spots or talking too much about different opportunities and they usually seem to think that it's worth it to not be out numbered by folks that don't understand hunting.

Steven Rinella put it best, "in a perfect world, I'm the only one who hunts but everyone else supports it"
That's not an exact quote but I've heard him espouse that exact sentiment more then once.

Ralphie

WKR
The internet wasn’t relevant or useful for hunting purposes until well into the early 2000’s. There were no mapping tools, google earth, huntin fool, go hunt, Rando Newbie, etc until 10 ish years later. Even State game agencies had limited websites at best. No online stats, unit maps, proclamations, etc. And there certainly were no damn YouTube videos giving everyone the keys to the castle! What was there was limited to maybe a few basic online forums (when did Monster Muleys start?) that were only minimally used by a dedicated handful. There was no mainstream access. You had to work at it. I miss those days. To say those of us Gen X’rs and later grew up with the internet is totally bunk as it relates to hunting. That transition didn’t come along until around 2005 or so and firmly into millennial territory. Damn Millennials!View attachment 566240
The internet also wasn’t around to convince us we liked to hunt.

The internet was released to the public in 93. People who are in their mid 40s would have been teens at the time, and therefore did grow up with the internet. You can argue semantics all you want, but the point is still relevant. Every generation has built-in technological advances that help them achieve more than the previous generation.
I’m 47 bud i didn’t get internet until i got my first apartment at 21, and it was Dial Up. We most definitely were not using it for EVERYTHING like a 21 yo today much less hunting purposes.

Just cause it existed does NOT mean guys my age used it much, if at all. Widespread use wasn’t adopted yet. In high school and college i had to go to the library to use the internet.

So now you know.

Iddogguy

FNG
How naive to think you have any power to stop people from getting information on the best of the best hunting areas!!!! You’d have better luck watching a sock full of fleas hoping none escape! I have 25 plus points in several states. If you’re under 20 it’ll be a long wait. Get ready to watch it dwindle each year!

How naive to think you have any power to stop people from getting information on the best of the best hunting areas!!!! You’d have better luck watching a sock full of fleas hoping none escape! I have 25 plus points in several states. If you’re under 20 it’ll be a long wait. Get ready to watch it dwindle each year!
You have 25 points in more then one state? That's a long time to wait to hunt

Iddogguy

FNG
You have 25 points in more then one state? That's a long time to wait to hunt
Drew elk in Nevada in 2020 with 21 points. Drew Utah elk this year with 25. Have 30 elk points Colorado & 28 elk points in Arizona.

Things are changing fast, hang on!!! What’s available to do yearly will be gone soon, enjoy it while you can!!

Now we know how the Native Americans felt when the covered wagons keep coming! More every year until there was nothing left.

Be sure you monitor posted unit numbers to save your future. HaHa

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Drew elk in Nevada in 2020 with 21 points. Drew Utah elk this year with 25. Have 30 elk points Colorado & 28 elk points in Arizona.

Things are changing fast, hang on!!! What’s available to do yearly will be gone soon, enjoy it while you can!!

Now we know how the Native Americans felt when the covered wagons keep coming! More every year until there was nothing left.

Be sure you monitor posted unit numbers to save your future. HaHa

You may have missed out some Bull quality waiting that long in Colorado.

It’s no secret that the top units aren’t producing the class of bulls they did a few years ago.

Good luck 👍

Can anyone actually point to a time a random dude on a forum blew up a unit, or even moved the needle a percent?

Did this really happen?

Iddogguy

FNG
You may have missed out some Bull quality waiting that long in Colorado.

It’s no secret that the top units aren’t producing the class of bulls they did a few years ago.

Good luck 👍
It’s not that I was waiting, never had the points to draw the unit I wanted to. I thought it would take me 8 years to draw. Here I sit with 30 points, maybe draw in a couple more years. Over the counter tags in Idaho & Montana 30 years ago we’re probably better than this unit in Colorado is now. I’ll enjoy the hunt when I draw. I’ve played this game since the mid seventies. I’ve had my share of great tags and set the table for a great run in my golden years.

Can’t even believe how much hunting has changed, with fewer and fewer opportunities every year.

gtriple

WKR
It’s not that I was waiting, never had the points to draw the unit I wanted to. I thought it would take me 8 years to draw. Here I sit with 30 points, maybe draw in a couple more years. Over the counter tags in Idaho & Montana 30 years ago we’re probably better than this unit in Colorado is now. I’ll enjoy the hunt when I draw. I’ve played this game since the mid seventies. I’ve had my share of great tags and set the table for a great run in my golden years.

Can’t even believe how much hunting has changed, with fewer and fewer opportunities every year.
I hope to be in the same boat as you one day. To be able to take my kids or grandkids along on a handful of once-in-a-lifetime kinda hunts is more important than me filling a tag this year.

Iddogguy

FNG
I hope to be in the same boat as you one day. To be able to take my kids or grandkids along on a handful of once-in-a-lifetime kinda hunts is more important than me filling a tag this year.
Hope you get to live that dream!!!

Laramie

WKR
Can anyone actually point to a time a random dude on a forum blew up a unit, or even moved the needle a percent?

Did this really happen?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out but many of us were slow to learn. If good things are posted about an area, more people will want to go there. This is simple, and very effective marketing. Most people believe a first hand account with pretty pictures from a fellow hunter.

I have actually been studying this for numerous areas. 10 years ago I ruined the draw odds in an area, unintentionally, by publicly posting information. This was on a different site and I had no idea what I had done.
As a test, 5 years ago I intentionally blew an area (that I had no intention to hunt again) up by posting information. The information was accurate but glorified to a point. Preference points needed changed quickly over the next two years.

The reverse works as well...

Be careful what you believe on the www these days because some have become wise and are intentionally using the masses to their advantage.

bohntr

WKR
AZ Elk: Unit 1, 27, 23, 3A/C, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 5. Best in the state. Good
Luck drawing! 😎.

Honestly, it all began to deteriorate when when Huntin Fool service began. If you were ever a subscriber, you are partly to blame.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Have you pressed CO game and fish to reduce overall tag numbers ? At the end of the day that's the most effective way to reduce hunters. Raising the cost won't do it for a lot of guys.
Unlimited tags for NR's are going away in 2025, FYI

Idaboy

WKR
We have a capitalist economy, so money talks, and with the internet/social media etc that is the new marketing compared to 25 yrs ago...we are all part of the algorithm, look at the adds that pop up on these forums, while we, in good faith and intent, try to discuss how we can help the situation.

I don't think we can fix it, maybe we can try to prevent it from getting worse. I think keeping up access and expanding access to land will be key in the long run