Powdered peanut butter!

kyle1112

WKR
In getting into making my own MH meals for hunts I found powdered peanut butter, now I'm kinda a pb freak and like to put in along with protein powder into my oatmeal. This is making its way into my backcountry meals FOR SURE!! The price is pretty good for what it is and as most ultralight hunters/hikers know you kinda gotta shell out some dough for goin UL, but this is 4-8 dollars for a 6.5oz jar, ill keep all posted. Is this something anyone has already done?

Eagle

WKR
I love PB, but that doesn't really sound appetizing, just not sure how that would work, as generally, fat isn't a good medium for dehydration.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
That's just it, it's got 85% less fat than the real deal. I'm getting it today so ill let you know haha

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
5 grams per 2 tablespoons, Im figuring ill be putting at least 4 tablespoons into each mornings oatmeal plus the protein powder...

I was using PB2 while deployed, they ran out of regular PB over there and it was easier to keep the PB2 then regular PB so that is what my wife was sending me. It's great stuff. I will be taking it in food saver "pouches" that way when I want a quick energy boost I can just cut the top off the pouch add water and have some peanut butter.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
I was using PB2 while deployed, they ran out of regular PB over there and it was easier to keep the PB2 then regular PB so that is what my wife was sending me. It's great stuff. I will be taking it in food saver "pouches" that way when I want a quick energy boost I can just cut the top off the pouch add water and have some peanut butter.

thats a good idea, i was thinking of getting some of the justins honey almond butter packets for that reason too, they pack 150 calories in a small package and taste awesome, may just use the powder though

Eagle

WKR
Nevermind, I found the info. It's actually less beneficial in a calorie/ounce, bang for your buck standpoint than real PB. This stuff has 45 cals for 12 grams, real PB has 190 cals for 33 grams, so equalizing, the PB2 is 105 cals/ounce and the real PB is 161 cals/ounce.

So if your goal was to save weight, it'll actually take a larger amount of the powder PB2 to give you the same amount of cals as real PB.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
Nevermind, I found the info. It's actually less beneficial in a calorie/ounce, bang for your buck standpoint than real PB. This stuff has 45 cals for 12 grams, real PB has 190 cals for 33 grams, so equalizing, the PB2 is 105 cals/ounce and the real PB is 161 cals/ounce.

So if your goal was to save weight, it'll actually take a larger amount of the powder PB2 to give you the same amount of cals as real PB.

i see where you are coming from but in a space saving aspect, i am putting my powdered pb directly into my oats along with my protein powder and packaging it together thus not having to have messy pb that i would have to otherwise carry in a separate container and make more trash to haul out...plus its 61 cals you are talking about, which i more than find worth losing by not having the original peanut butter...

Eagle

WKR
Understood, just wanted to point out that it's not quite what I thought it was. I use the single serving Jiff PB packs. Virtually weight less packaging and don't really take up much space, 250 cals per individual cup too. In the end the PB2 hits the 100 cals/oz minimum I put on my food, just not as cal dense as the real thing.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
Understood, just wanted to point out that it's not quite what I thought it was. I use the single serving Jiff PB packs. Virtually weight less packaging and don't really take up much space, 250 cals per individual cup too. In the end the PB2 hits the 100 cals/oz minimum I put on my food, just not as cal dense as the real thing.

agreed, my main reason for using it was a light and easily mixable substitute(lacking a little in the cal department) for standard pb.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR

and its 45 cals different not 61 hahaha my bad