Practical/effective ear protection while hunting

My daughters will be shooting a braked .35 Whelen this fall for whitetails. We hit a buddy's range yesterday and shot out of his shooting house. The muzzle was roughly 3" out the window (couldn't get any closer due to bench clearance) and the muzzle blast was jarring. We all had ears on so no big deal with that, but I'm wondering what the most practical yet effective ear protection guys are using while hunting? I have one pair of Howard Leighty electronic muffs, but I've never considered wearing them while hunting. Thoughts?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I just use the earplugs on the plastic band. Where them around my neck and pop them in before I shoot. I also have a suppressor now which is also practical hearing protection.
Thanks for the feedback. I always see Hickcock .45 using those ones around the neck. Where can a guy find those, and are they effective against braked rifles in your experience?

Reading through some of the older threads below it looks like these can be found at Home Depot, Sportsmans, etc... Thank you again for the response.

Last edited:
I had some Howard Leight ear plugs on a plastic band and they were useless. The foam was too hard and shaped oddly to make a good seal. Here’s a picture for reference.

Attachments

• FC41D801-FAB8-454C-A7BB-1C7AFB7EF38B.jpeg
    FC41D801-FAB8-454C-A7BB-1C7AFB7EF38B.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I had some Howard Leight ear plugs on a plastic band and they were useless. The foam was too hard and shaped oddly to make a good seal. Here’s a picture for reference.
I just ordered these from Amazon. Reviews were pretty positive- 4.5 out of 1,200 users. I'll give them a try and return if they dont work i guess.

wyosteve

WKR
Since you said for whitetails, I assume you'll be in a stand/sitting. I'd go with the Howard Leight's as suggested. I wear mine for most hunting scenarios. The only downside for me is if you're walking they like to
'sweat' around the ears.

Fordguy

WKR
I tried electronic muffs last year and hated them. Had a good buck at 40 yards, in a brushy area. I could hear him but couldn't tell what direction he was coming from with the muffs on.

BBob

WKR
Find some magnetic with cords. These have replaceable and commonly available foam plugs. Available in Delrin and Ti.

Antares

WKR
I've spent a lot of hot, sweaty days deer hunting in Howard Leights. Hiking through brush, not just sitting. I don't mind it. You sort of forget they're there after awhile. Wearing a buff and pulling it up over your ears, then putting the headset over it really helps with the slippery, sweaty feeling. Sure it'd be more comfortable to not wear anything, but it's certainly more comfortable than shooting a braked rifle in heavy brush with no ear pro, IMO.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Find some magnetic with cords. These have replaceable and commonly available foam plugs. Available in Delrin and Ti.

I like the look of those. If the HL banded don't work, I'll take a closer look at these. 29 NRR rating is very nice too.

WTFJohn

WKR
Get a suppressor. It's worth it for everything from reduced muzzle blast, to reduced recoil, to reduced 'flinch' from new/infrequent shooters, to reduced animal reaction from shots, etc...

For over-ear hearing protection, whatever you go with get some NoiseFighter gel ear pads. Way more comfortable and they have a relief for your sunglasses/shooting glasses.

Sled

WKR
I've shot 1 big game animal with ear protection. It was with a braked rifle and it was the most unsatisfying shot I've ever taken at an animal.

Do what you have to for now but I like low recoiling rifles for young and new shooters. My preference is a suppressor instead of a brake.

To your original question, the ear horn with it outer ear pro is adequate for your situation. If the muzzle is in the shooting house I'd go foam inner ear with muffs over ear. It diminishes the experience but saves young kids hearing and that's more important, imo.

grfox92

WKR
I have $7 hard plastic band around the neck with foam ear plugs that I wear at work if I'm nailing or running saws. I forget they are there and plan on using them this year for rifle season. The ones on a string get wrapped up and tangled in stuff.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
916916a6c1e1039943fee793110b6c8a.jpg

mflo

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a few pair of these by surefire - I like to wear these under my Peltors at the range, and I wore just the surefires when I shot my first antelope earlier this year. They come with three sizes of the foam plug part, as well as different sized ear 'wing' parts. I'd think you'd be able to get the right size to fit your daughter.

I've worn the orange band around the neck plugs before, but didn't like them - I could never get them to seal up properly in both ears. Can't imagine them working for a kid.

FWIW, I shoot a braked .300wsm