PRE-treating my boots with ShoeGoo!

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve saved many pairs of boots with ShoeGoo over the years. It truly adds a year or two before a resole. I have a pair of muck boots that wore really fast and I completely rebuilt the sole with ShoeGoo and the grip is actually better than new!

This got me thinking: what if I took a new pair of boots and put Goo on then right away… so I did just that with my new Schnees!

My thinking is:
>I tend to wear out heels on boots far faster than the rest of the sole or upper.
>ShoeGoo is self leveling, so it will maintain the contact with with the ground but with a deeper tread.
>ShoeGoo is softer than Vibram rubber, so it should grip better when cold.
>I am wearing these boots on pavement to break them in, which is really abrasive on tread.

I’ll let you know how it goes! My plan is to touch it up once a year and never let the actual tread get worn. Anyone done this?

IMG_8670.jpeg

Last edited:

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Does it peel off pretty quick??
Roughly how long or how many miles will it take do you think?

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Does it peel off pretty quick??
Roughly how long or how many miles will it take do you think?
NEVER had it peel off. It wears about twice as fast as Vibram rubber. I’ve repaired boots with it in the past (reattaching separated soles and filling in worn soles) and it sticks like it’s one with the sole material.

I’ve never done this (just on the high spots of a new sole) so I’m interested to see if it peels at all.

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
These are the Mucks I did last year. Probably 200 miles on them since ShoeGoo. The heel centers were completely flat and are 100% ShoeGoo. I put a full layer of Goo on them then rebuilt the tread bumps. The fore-foot just has added Goo on top of the bumps:

IMG_8673.jpeg
IMG_8674.jpeg

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
That’s impressive.
I’ve used it for repairs just never had real good luck with it sticking. Maybe I didn’t clean it well enough. Haha

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
That’s impressive.
I’ve used it for repairs just never had real good luck with it sticking. Maybe I didn’t clean it well enough. Haha
You definitely have to clean the surface extremely well I wash the boots down and then wipe with 70% alcohol to remove any oils then once dry apply shoegoo and it holds extremely well I have some leather sole cowboy boots that now have shoegoo soles because I couldnt find anyone in my area to rebuild them.