Predator Rifles! Let's See Them!

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always wondered how a 20practical might do in a short barreled AR or bolt gun. I built two .000 freebore slow twist 223s for this purpose, an 18” ar and 20” bolt gun. They both still shot 52smks way better than 40vmaxs.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always wondered how a 20practical might do in a short barreled AR or bolt gun. I built two .000 freebore slow twist 223s for this purpose, an 18” ar and 20” bolt gun. They both still shot 52smks way better than 40vmaxs.
I tried a 204 in an ar platform and ran into too many feeding problems. It also loses too much velocity for the cartridge over the simplicity and speed of a standard 223 at 16 or so inches.

TheGDog

WKR
MJspeers nailed it. Also the gun was specifically built for mostly prairie dogs and at the time I could get super cheap varmint bullet blems from midway compared to .223 varmint bullet. In shorter barrel lengths .204 is not a good option like I did. In hindsight .223 in 18.5” is the better option.
I just always kinda figured they made that cartridge with the idea of like tearing up the hide less, with the lighter bullets. Especially for the smaller than coyote predators. While also giving the high speeds for less drop and more likelihood of "remote wounding" effect.

But now Hornady makes those 35gr NTX for that in .223 Rem. Says it does 4000fps.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I just always kinda figured they made that cartridge with the idea of like tearing up the hide less, with the lighter bullets. Especially for the smaller than coyote predators. While also giving the high speeds for less drop and more likelihood of "remote wounding" effect.

But now Hornady makes those 35gr NTX for that in .223 Rem. Says it does 4000fps.
Though somewhat limited to Midwestern coyote hunting, regardless of caliber, I’ve never had a broadside coyote that didn’t exit….

As long as we’re talking reasonable varmint calibers.

Mick214

FNG
I just picked this up today. It’s a left handed Savage MagPul Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has an 18” barrel and the Tungsten finish. The scope is a Vortex 4x12. The suppressor is a YHM “Resonator”:

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I like anything that is sub MOA. Not into building special guns for varmints but admire those that do.

Duh

WKR
Tikka 22-250 with a free float, rattle can paint job, and some tape.

Attachments

• IMG_6410.jpeg
    IMG_6410.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 49

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. I have zero complaints. It is versatile to use on multiple guns. Plus it is light. Everything is a trade off, but with this rifle I wanted as short and quiet as possible. I'm very happy with the balance that this setup strikes.

If I was to have just one silencer, it would not be this, may go for TBAC7 or regular Nomad Ti. BUT, maximum suppression with lightest can, it is great. If that's what you're after, you will be very happy with it.

Cbthomas

FNG
88ee4f9b9871ad31e14094372c827389.jpg

Iv been using the same rifle for killing dogs for 12 years. Remington R15 in .204

I think im going to swap the scope to a LPVO and potentially swap the rail to something lighter with a arca rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

won’t let me upload the pic for some reason so I guess I’ll have to break her out Friday. I use a Tikka T3x Varmint in 223. 24” bull barrel with an SWFA 3-15 on top, mrad of course. It sends 62gr Federal Fusions down range extremely well, generally a 3/4moa or so setup. I’d like to find a good gunsmith here in MT that can chop, thread, and maybe flute this barrel so I can suppress it and not have it weigh 30lbs lol