Preference points sold for profit?

Would you sell your points for profit if it was legal?

• Total voters

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
After moving out of Washington and not planning on hunting there again I wish I could sell my points. But I don’t think it would be good for hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd sell or trade my 18 CO deer points in a heart beat. I'd be willing to trade 3 deer points for every elk point.......maybe even more. It would be cool if CPW tried something like that where they allowed us to trade one species for another......even with a 3 for 1 ratio etc. They could get rid of a whole lot of points out there on the books.

My dad would sell to break even. My dad has Wyoming bighorn pref points. 15 years at $150 per year now.

When he started it was about 15 years to draw tag. Now it’s 25 years. And he’s in his 80s, so doubt wheel chair access will be readily available up in big horn country lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I'd sell or trade my 18 CO deer points in a heart beat. I'd be willing to trade 3 deer points for every elk point.......maybe even more. It would be cool if CPW tried something like that where they allowed us to trade one species for another......even with a 3 for 1 ratio etc. They could get rid of a whole lot of points out there on the books.
You're on, 5Mile! I'll trade my 6 elk points for your 18 deer points. Add them to my 7 deer points and I'll be in business! I'd like to hunt deer in CO before the wolves and the CPW wipe out every last decent buck in the state!

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Same as some other guys, have points in states where most likely will never draw. Or have let points go away with state rule changes.

Years back had told my brother we should either drop some of these states or cash them in. He thought I did mean literally and he wanted to sell the points back to game and fish. I ment super low end units, even then we might never cash in some of the points.

Some podcast or article had even discussed who would inherit a deceased relatives points..... this to some extent makes sense to me. But could be abused like anything else.

prm

WKR
I’ve read some bad ideas, and this is right up there. Might even be in contention for the worst possible idea. We could have thousands (tens of thousands) collecting points with only the intent to sell them. Basically PP brokers. Your odds of drawing through regular means would plummet. There is not a finite number of preference points. The number in the system would go up exponentially and your ability to draw would be near zero.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We could have thousands (tens of thousands) collecting points with only the intent to sell them.
They wouldn't want to do this long term. They've have to do it on a one-time basis like they've done point banking in the past. "Sell or trade your points this year, and this year only". The only way they'd go for it is if they get a cut in the profits.

JjamesIII

WKR
After moving out of Washington and not planning on hunting there again I wish I could sell my points. But I don’t think it would be good for hunting.
Of course it wouldn’t, pretty obvious where that would go. Point creep is already beyond stupid now, then get point brokers buying up more points to sit on. This isn’t like investing in crypto currency.

I’ll stir the pot a little more…. In lieu of the idea of holding points to sell off later, what about an expiration date on points? Give so many years after the date of purchase, then max points would be something like five or ten years, then expire. That would be a game changer. It would make a lot of more guys actively applying for various units, not just sitting the bench waiting for these “once in a lifetime” units.

Selling points would push a lot of guys like me, and I suspect guys that think they have a lot of money right out of the game. It would be the end of a "public" resource. As others have said, the only truly fair system would be to get rid of points entirely - then again that screws anyone that's been building points. Not really a good answer to this one.

The only way you should get a PP is if you apply for the tag. Period.

It’s the only way the PP system really works.

We’re less than a week into 2023, but this is the worst idea I’ve heard all year.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
The only way you should get a PP is if you apply for the tag. Period.

It’s the only way the PP system really works.

We’re less than a week into 2023, but this is the worst idea I’ve heard all year.
Glad to set the pace for ya on that one.
Me personally, I wish everything was random.

JjamesIII

WKR
Selling points would push a lot of guys like me, and I suspect guys that think they have a lot of money right out of the game. It would be the end of a "public" resource. As others have said, the only truly fair system would be to get rid of points entirely - then again that screws anyone that's been building points. Not really a good answer to this one.
States should just hit a big old reset button on the point system and scrub this whole failed experiment! Reimburse sportsmen face value (still not really fair), then go to a pure random draw. These agencies just keep it going because it’s making them big money. The system is really broke for them, it’s working out very, very well $$$