Price:Quality ratio of CA Ridgeline vs Tikka Roughtec

picketuc

FNG
Hello all, after deciding I’m ready to invest in a big boy hunting rifle, I’ve come to a bit of a roadblock between a couple rifles. I primarily hunt deer and elk, and I want something that accurately packs a punch out to distances of 5-600. The calibers I’m considering are 300 wm and 7 mag. I know there are a lot of posts about Christensen rifles, but I’m hoping to get advice more tailored to the options I’m considering. I also have read about the QC issues with CA, but it sounds like they’ve turned things around a bit. I have taken an elk with a buddies ridgeline in 7mag, and I really liked the way it carried and shot. Is the price really worth a Ridgeline or should I save some cash and go for the tikka roughtec? How is the recoil between the two? I’ll likely be using factory ammo as well. I’m open to other options but would like to keep the budget below $2k and fairly lightweight.

Although I’ve hunted for 15 years, I’m pretty new to the fancy gun world, so any advice is appreciated!

As a disclaimer, CA is offering a $450 gift card with the purchase of a ridgeline, so I guess that’s an added incentive in my decision making process here.

This will greatly influence your decision, it has for me.

There are so many CA horror stories, plus it uses a Remington style trigger. No way they get my $.

Also, for the ranges you're thinking a 6 5 creed is a better choice. Less recoil, better factory ammo.

And lastly, the rifle I would get in your shoes is the sako s20. It's actually nice.

nobody

WKR
I traded my brand new, never shot Christensen Mesa in on a blued Tikka CTR late last year and don't regret it one bit. The Christensen was a .308 that chambered tight on factory ammo of many different flavors. The action feel was rough, barrel channel in the stock was crooked, and the cerakote job was less than stellar.

Dad has an MPR in 6.5 PRC that's a hammer, but for what Mom paid for it (30th wedding anniversary present), it should be better than it is from a fit/finish standpoint. Again, the action was rough, and the factory magazine is sharp enough that it scrapes brass off the cartridges as the rounds feed in and out. Dad has switched over to Magpul plastic mags and is much happier.

I worked with a guy who had a Mesa in 7 mag that he handloaded 180 grain bergers for and that rifle was a hammer. His dad had a ridgeline whose scope mount holes were drilled and tapped so far off center that the scope that was on it was zeroed less than a half revolution from the extreme left-hand side (maybe right, can't quite remember, but I do know it was basically "bottomed out" to one side).

From my experience and from the myriad of experiences of others, on this board and locally, the proverbial "roll of the dice" is a much much MUCH larger risk with Christensen. I've known of several that shoot very well, and many more than that with extreme issues. Personally, I'll never purchase a Christensen, and I would caution anybody else who wants one against it.

Buy the Tikka.

OP
picketuc

picketuc

FNG
Any Tikka over any CA any day of the week. I personally am a fan of the 7mm rem mag over the 300 WM, but that's just personal preference.
Thanks for your advice. To add to this, I’m smaller statured (5’8) so I definitely have some apprehensions with the 300wm and if it might beat the shit outta me. My reasoning with the 300wm is purely for wanting more wallop further down range but if you think the 7mag would do justice, I’d definitely be open to that

Bullets matter

This thread shows that ft lbs/wallop is an ineffective term when talking about wound channels

jc_at_aq

FNG
I've been very happy with my 7mm RM shooting a 145 grain LRX bullet, but I've also killed elk with my 270 shooting 110 grain TTSX bullets.. I agree with the posts above. People put too much faith in big calibers when shot placement and bullet construction are what really matters.

DaleW

WKR
If you're set on a LA magnum definitely go with the Christensen. Long action cartridges barely fit in tikka mags so if you ever wanted to load heavy low drag bullets you'd be SOL. I have had very good luck with Christensen rifles, but there are definitely plenty of bad qc stories out there.

Also, your trigger isn't going to freeze lol

Hnthrdr

WKR
I own both. 2 CA’s and 2 Tikka’s. Picked up a ridgeline fft in 6.5 that is shooting right under 1 moa with factory 143 eld-X. My tikka roughteck in .308 is awesome. Put together a “bastard CA” MPR ( started as a MPP that I put a 16 in barrel on and stock and will shoot suppressed ) haven’t shot it yet so tbd” I’m happy with both. CA is lighter. My tikka is a hammer better trigger and bolt stock leaves some desiring though . Also I know guys love their 300 win mag or 7 rem, but 6.5 for deer or .308 will beat you up less, cost less per shot and do just about anything a guy wants out to 600. Just my two cents ( probably worthless)

Attachments

• 71441794098__066BD877-FBEC-456D-8A97-FDE4A28387EA.jpeg
    71441794098__066BD877-FBEC-456D-8A97-FDE4A28387EA.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 31

Bluumoon

WKR
Friend of a friend bought a top of the line CA for Bear hunt next month. Neither he or his gunsmith can get it to shoot worth a damn. He is going to buy a different rifle as CA isn't going to have it fixed in time.

If you are planning on going with a long action round, and want to shoot heavy bullets, your options are limited with Tikka, and I would look to Sako. Tikka makes a "Standard" action not a long action. Based on what you have stated, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a 6.5 PRC; however factory ammo may not be reaidly avaliable (I'd be reloading). It far exceeds the 600 yards you specified and is more than capable of taking anything on the North American Continent, given the right bullet/load, and it will have less recoil that a 7mm or 300 mag. The 6.5 PRC allows you to grow that distance your willing to shoot as your skill and knowledge level improves. However, the 6.5 Creedmore would not be a bad choice based on your 600 yard limit with even less recoil than the PRC.

I have owned and still do own several christensen rifles. They are all amazing shooters. They come with an accuracy guarantee, and the one time I used their customer service (not accuracy related) was a great experience with a quick turnaround.

I have owned Tikka, CA, Seekins, Bergara Premiers…CA or Bergara Premier are my recommendation.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks for your advice. To add to this, I’m smaller statured (5’8) so I definitely have some apprehensions with the 300wm and if it might beat the shit outta me. My reasoning with the 300wm is purely for wanting more wallop further down range but if you think the 7mag would do justice, I’d definitely be open to that
I’ll be straight with you, .300wm has more forgiving recoil it seems than a 7 rem mag, they are a dang punchy load. My .300’s seemed like the recoil was a little slower and not as snappy as my 7 mag, I sold that rifle and most of my .300wm as well

Felix40

WKR
I’m a fan of CA. I’ve only shot two of their rifles but both of them are perfect. I have a Mesa fft that cost $300 more than the tikka but is a pound lighter. Everyone here rags on CA but I can’t say anything bad.

The tikka is probably a great rifle too. I just felt like the CA had everything I wanted.

Only guy I know shooting CA had his stock crack twice. 7 mag Tikka T3x Lite with a limbasver airtech pad is very manageable to shoot. I do prefer my 6.5 cm tikka though. Seekins if your budget is under 2k also has a lot of positive feedback.

Andy Ivy

FNG
I own both. And have friends and family that own both. Almost all of us have had issues and problems with the Christensen arms rifles. In comparison all the tikkas are, problem free, reliable and accurate.
Hands down the tikka are a better option