Price:Quality ratio of CA Ridgeline vs Tikka Roughtec

Scopes

FNG
Tikka all day or the S20 at Eurooptic is a great deal. I have both and they are great rifles. My CA sits in the safe. Wish I wouldn't have bought it.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, after deciding I’m ready to invest in a big boy hunting rifle, I’ve come to a bit of a roadblock between a couple rifles. I primarily hunt deer and elk, and I want something that accurately packs a punch out to distances of 5-600. The calibers I’m considering are 300 wm and 7 mag. I know there are a lot of posts about Christensen rifles, but I’m hoping to get advice more tailored to the options I’m considering. I also have read about the QC issues with CA, but it sounds like they’ve turned things around a bit. I have taken an elk with a buddies ridgeline in 7mag, and I really liked the way it carried and shot. Is the price really worth a Ridgeline or should I save some cash and go for the tikka roughtec? How is the recoil between the two? I’ll likely be using factory ammo as well. I’m open to other options but would like to keep the budget below $2k and fairly lightweight.

Although I’ve hunted for 15 years, I’m pretty new to the fancy gun world, so any advice is appreciated!

As a disclaimer, CA is offering a $450 gift card with the purchase of a ridgeline, so I guess that’s an added incentive in my decision making process here.

If you're going to be a member in good standing here you need to follow the rules. Remember Tikka rifles and swfa scopes are the only thing you should be buying. Best there is dollar for dollar. Everybody knows this. Its a fact. Stop playin around mister. And CA and Leupold are absolute garbage always have been always will be. In the entirely unlikely event some kind sole gifted you one, you should refuse it. Thats how lousy they are. They’ll probably jinx your entire collection. Guaranteed to ruin any hunt you’re silly enough to take it on. There shall be no dissent.

You should also never mind that not a lot of guys have owned a CA or Leupold…. because they know a guy who does… or a poster can SCIENTIFICALLY prove its true… or its WELL documented on ALL the forums… or the best gunsmith around or some joker behind the gun counter told them he had a customer… Anybody with half a brain can tell you they’re garbage.

Joking aside I’m not calling anyone a liar. Those companies built enough that some guys do or did own one. Those guys can offer first hand experience. But most can’t bring themself to branch out of the accepted circle and then sell it off if it’s not what they expected. Or keep it when they're pleasantly surprised its as good or even better than this other thing.

So you should get the Tikka not CA. If you do- please don’t play around with an old cartridge thats widely available over the counter. Now sit back and watch. Theres a good chance I get flamed for even playing around about any of this stuff.🍿

I'd probably be looking at the TIKKA Ember over the Roughtech.. It's all stainless, but otherwise same (I like the red speckled stock better too).. I have several TIKKAs and have owned CAs.. Personally I prefer the TIKKAs or Sako over the CA.. I have had some CAs that shot lights out and some that were awful,, Never had a TIKKA that wouldn't meet their accuracy guarantee with factory ammo or better than with dialed in handloads... TIKKA's QC has been consistently better for less money.. Good luck with your choice..

atmat

WKR
Tikkas in general seem to have less issues than CAs do. I’ve played a lot with plenty of CAs — some were awesome and some were terrible. It’s strange how their brand can put out a line of rifles with finished quality all over the board.

The Tikkas I’ve played with have been significantly more consistent. I’d say go with a cheap Tikka stainless and deck it out how you want.

The Sako S20 looks to be an awesome deal as well, though a little heavy.

I would echo others to choose a lighter caliber. I’ve sold all my heavy calibers and only own lighter calibers, and I have way more fun shooting. For perspective, I’m a fairly bigger person than you and I don’t enjoy shooting 300wm for any considerable number of rounds.

WoodBow

WKR
I'd like to know how many people that rag on the CA's have actually owned one, versus how many have read about QC issues online and just keep spreading those same tales of woe.

My Ridgeline is an amazing rifle. Effortless to shoot at distance. Superbly balanced. Great accuracy.

Mine is a 6.5 prc and i wouldn't hesitate to hunt every animal you have listed with it. I have taken an oryx, a nilgai, and a pile of hogs with it. Only animal i have ever had to track is a hog i gut shot and it only went about 50-75 yards.

I am not a fan of magnum rounds. They are no fun to shoot and I have not found them to be necessary in the lower 48.

The CA's have been stupid cheap in the recent past. I don't know if stores were clearing old inventory or what. I think shceels had them for $1200.

atmat

WKR
I'd like to know how many people that rag on the CA's have actually owned one, versus how many have read about QC issues online and just keep spreading those same tales of woe.
In the same vein, how many CAs do you have extensive time behind? You having a great experience with one is entirely anecdotal, too.

I’ve spent time with a lot of different CAs. As I said in my post, some have been awesome and some have sucked. There’s no rhyme or reason for the huge variation they have other than poor manufacturing/QC.

WoodBow

WKR
In the same vein, how many CAs do you have extensive time behind? You having a great experience with one is entirely anecdotal, too.

I’ve spent time with a lot of different CAs. As I said in my post, some have been awesome and some have sucked. There’s no rhyme or reason for the huge variation they have other than poor manufacturing/QC.

That's a fair point. But first hand experience is better than "i read it online".

nobody

WKR
Per my post on page number 1, I have experience with 4 different Christensen's: 2 mesas, an MPR, and a Ridgeline. It pains me that a company from my home state has this type of track record, but let's call a spade a spade. I would be happy to expound:

1st Mesa: My rifle, .308 Winchester, never fired, tight chamber was difficult to feed and chamber factory ammo. Wouldn't close without fairly considerable force on everything from cheap Federal Power Shock to Hornady Match. Action felt like it had some burrs on it as well, not very smooth at all and had a catch when closing on an empty chamber. Traded in on a Tikka without ever even firing it, no regrets.

2nd Mesa: belonged to a coworker. Same rough action issues as mine above, but shot 180 grain Berger VLD‘s that he handloaded very well. It was a 7 rem mag. If I remember correctly (he was fired from our company a little over a year ago, so it's been awhile since I spoke with him about it), it also shot handloaded 168 VLD's well. But it was extremely picky otherwise.

MPR: belongs to my dad, chambered in 6.5 PRC. Mom purchased it for him for their 30th wedding anniversary. The gun shoots extremely well as far as accuracy is concerned, but everything else about it leaves a lot to be desired. Poor fit and finish, gritty action, burrs left over from machining, and a magazine made so poorly that it strips shards of brass from the ammo as you feed it from the magazine into the chamber. Call me crazy, but for $2500, it should be distinctly superior to a $700 rifle.

Ridgeline: belongs to the father of my former coworker. Chambered in 6.5 PRC. Gun is extremely accurate, but the scope mount screw holes are drilled off-center, so the zero in the scope is off to one extreme side of the erector travel.

To sum it all up, the three that have been shot all seem to shoot very well, although the Mesa owned by my coworker required hand loading well over recommended book charge weights in order to shoot well. Mesa number one, which I owned, had a chamber that was so tight it was unsafe to fire, so it was never even tested. So of the four I have experience with, one of them was unsafe to shoot from the factory, and all four of them had massive fit and finish issues.

I think my biggest issue with Christensen as a brand is that they feel grossly overpriced for what you get. If their rifles all cost 25%-35% less than they currently do, Then some of the less than perfect machining practices could be forgiven. But at a starting price of over $1200 even for the Mesa, it’s just hard to justify that they offer any value in our current market. Add in their less that desirable stock geometry and spotty reputation and I become wary.

Given my experiences with them (fit and finish issues and such), here's the value I personally feel they offer:

• The Mesa in all reality is a $850-$900 rifle at it's current level of fit and finish and "features"
  • The Ridgeline is worth about $1200-$1400 (Savage uses Proof research barrels and can be had for $1100 at Cabela's right now, I know I would rather have a Proof if I was forced into a carbon barrel)
  • The MPR should be no more than probably $1600-$1800, especially considering everything with the "chassis" is proprietary except the Magpul grip. You could buy a ridgeline and put an MDT or a KRG on it and be miles ahead of what Christensen sells you from the factory, for LESS MONEY a lot of times (sales, etc.). But hey, it's folding and IT'S GOT CARBON FIBER. Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's reasoning of why bass boats have a glitter finish... rednecks like shiny stuff, and hunters like carbon stuff.

Sandstrom

WKR
I had a titanium ridgeline that went back to CA three times. First time was for a stock that was almost a lb heavier than advertised, the second time was an inability to shoot less than a 2 moa group, the third time was for the replacement barrel that wasn’t headspaced properly and was having pressure issues. They were very prompt on the customer service, however they failed to have a product that worked properly. The store I bought it from bought it back from me and gave me a good deal on a tikka:) I won’t be buying another CA
Ryan

TaperPin

WKR
The good news is you can’t go wrong.

I haven’t owned either rifle, but they are different enough that whichever one speaks to you the loudest will be a good gun.

I can say your choice of cartridges are good ones - either are fantastic all around western elk/deer rifles. Elk are tough - only shooting to 350-400 yards my choice has been a light weight 7 mag, but beyond that it’s into 300 mag territory. If a recoil calculator is fed information on both, the 300 will have slightly more recoil, which is about what you’ll feel in person, but if you shoot a 7 mag ok, the 300 in a similar weight rifle shouldn’t be a problem. Having said that, a light rifle magnifies the difference in recoil and for many experienced guys I’ve known over the years with standard weight 300’s, they would not be interested in a lighter rifle. The 180gr is by far the most popular in the 300 as are 160gr in the 7mag.

If you ever go way up north for moose or bear and ask the outfitter if you’d be better with a 7 mag and 175’s or 200’s in the 300, I’d bet lunch he says take the 300.

Recoil is very subjective and individual recoil tolerance is quite variable so if you’ve always wanted a 300, it’s a perfect choice.

I fell into owning a CA and haven't looked back. Have owned/own the following, and in this order:

CA Mesa 7mm rem mag (won via the Wyoming Supertag raffle)
CA Ridgeline 7mm rem mag
CA Ridgeline Ti 7mm rem mag
CA Ridgeline FFT 7mm-08
CA Ridgeline 7mm-08

All shot/shoot just fine, though I am a handloader and found a good load/bullet combo for each. Some preferred Barnes, some preferred Nosler, etc.

The Mesa is fine if you don't ever plan to shoot suppressed. The Ridgelines however, all come 5/8x24 so go with suppressers like peanut butter and jelly. The carbon wrapped barrel also is sexy, and weighs less than the Mesa barrel.

I've seen alot of negative comments about the stocks......I actually prefer the ergonomics of the CA stock. Just goes to show there is a butt for every seat. Doesn't really matter what someone else likes. Find what you like.

Never owned a Tikka, but have owned a couple of Sakos. The actions sure are smooth

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I wonder how many people maligning those who dislike Christianson bother to read seeing as several people have specified personal experience.

I own a CA Ranger 22. It is not bad, but an $800 22 should not need to have major fixes. In my case Christianson installed a bedding pillars that was about 1/8th inch too long and relied on the press fit in the stock. Not noticable at first and it shot well. Then, 5 miles into the mountains the action started rocking forward and aft in the stock as the pillars slid up and down. Makes me wonder what other sloppy work is hiding, though other than that issue so far fit and finish look good.

I will not give them my money again though. It is too bad, I like their stock.

nobody

WKR
I will not give them my money again though. It is too bad, I like their stock.
I agree on their stock on the Ranger. What blows my mind is why they don't offer the same stock on their Ridgeline, Mesa, or Traverse models. They obviously recognize their traditional stock geometry is less than ideal and the market wants something different (like on the Ranger), so why haven't the rimfire guys knocked on the centerfire guys' offices and told them??

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have personally shot 3 Christensens, 2 mesas and a traverse. The traverse will shoot with just about any custom gun, but neither Mesa could compete with a tikka or savage at half the cost.

Hydro557

FNG
I wanted a factory 16 inch lightweight 308. The Christensen Scout was about all I could find.

I rolled the dice and came up solid. It shoots lights out and there's no issue with it. Currently my favorite rifle lol.

TaperPin

WKR
That may be your choice, but there's no reason for it. There's plenty of folks here taking elk at distances >500 with .223, 6mm, and 6.5mm bullets.
The lighter you go the more limitations you‘re willing to accept. I have a 243 that shot a cow through both lungs and she went a long long way - not a problem in the sage, but would have been hard to find in the timber. I shot a bull facing me with a 338 and he made it a football field away. If that was someone’s only shot, how far would he have gone with a 6.5? I’m jealous of those that can have an elk in the scope and patiently wait for it turn, hopefully slowly, for a double lung shot. When there’s a little hole in and no hole going out, tracking becomes more than a little difficult.

The physics of what it takes to kill elk hasn’t changed in half a century - Jack O Connor waited for broadside shots and killed elk just fine with a 270. Others who want to be able to take tough quartering shots have gravitated to larger calibers for a reason - same reason many shooting the 6.5 will gravitate to larger calibers after a bad experience or two.

My judgement tells me, after hearing the same stories you’ve heard of light calibers killing elk way out there, is that there are plenty of stories not being told of times the shot should have waited for a better angle. That‘s also nothing new - human nature is what it is - many of my friends growing up have lost elk to every caliber and don’t seem to mention it.

As big and heavy as they are, following tracks in the timber with dried up dirt and pine needles of October is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done - rarely does the topic even come up and self teaching the moment it’s needed just doesn’t work all that well - much easier to simply justify it as a clean mis.