Priming tool

IDShane

WKR
Have any of you used this priming tool?
I hate my RCBS priming tool and just can't bring myself to spend the $$$ on the Primal Rights press I am just checking to see if anyone has used/tried this unit before? Or maybe you have another suggestion I am all ears.
Shane

Axlrod

WKR
I have the 21st, the Primal, and the Frankford. They are all very good and all better than RCBS, Hornady, & Lee (I have had all these).
21st -con no primer tray. Pro excellent feel, very well made
Primal - con price. Pro fast (I have the auto tube filler), good feel, very well made.
Frankford- con not US made, pro price, feel, comes with shell holders and a tray.

They are all adjustable. For the money the Frankford would work very well for you. I have many thousands of cases through mine. If you are shooting competition the 21st is probably the best. If you have no regard for money get the Primal.

Last edited:

blkqi

WKR
I use the Frankford and like it fine, but would definitely give the 21st a try if I was starting over.

Mag_7s

WKR
I think the single feed will drive you nuts on the 21st century, but will be an improvement over the RCBS in regards to better seating/feel.

What I do is kinda ridiculous but I seat 90% of the primer with the Frankford, as you can adjust the seating depth with a dial. I then finish them all with K&M primer gage with ~1- 2k crush.
I still don't feel that there is actually a "great" priming tool in the market. The Primal is probably the best option, but at a pretty hefty price that still doesn't solve indexing the seating operation off the rim of the case.

What difference have you all seen with such detail on the primer seating?

For me, Lee Auto Prime.

Mag_7s

WKR
What difference have you all seen with such detail on the primer seating?

For me, Lee Auto Prime.
For me, I don't think I can honestly say it has made X difference. I can't quantify my observations or even say I did an empirical study, because I didnt.
I went down the rabbit hole of trying to follow F-class John, Winning in the Wind, and Eric Cortina methods of brass prep and reloading techniques to reduce my extreme spread. I really enjoy this stuff and the process. I understand this is not for everyone, but i really like to geek out on it
I turned necks, uniformed primer pockets, expand necks, deburred flash holes, graphite lube necks, and matched gives.
What I did attain out of the rifle I was focusing on was an es of 14, depending on cleaning and the barrel reaching a point when it settles in after the bore has been found a couple rounds. An es of 14 is not fantastic, but not terrible. I didn't have a reliable chrono before I started so I can't actually say it made the difference or not.

Would be interested if there is a comparison of meticulous primer seating in and of itself on regularly prepared brass that is simply sized, trimmed, pockets cleaned/uniformed. If primer seating is a variable that makes a difference, it should show up on any brass that was prepared consistently whether to the nth degree or as shared above.

Mag_7s

WKR
Would be interested if there is a comparison of meticulous primer seating in and of itself on regularly prepared brass that is simply sized, trimmed, pockets cleaned/uniformed. If primer seating is a variable that makes a difference, it should show up on any brass that was prepared consistently whether to the nth degree or as shared above.
I would imagine there are within the BR and F-class community somewhere. I just haven't done that much digging.

Lawnboi

WKR
Can anyone comment on the comfort using the 21st century?

I want a primal but I’m not sure I can swing the price and bench space.

My k&m hand primer leaves my fingers numb by the end of the 200 pieces.

Dos XX

WKR
I have 21st Century. If I had to buy one today. It would probably be this one. They didn't have a priming tool when i bought my 21st Cent tool. PMA makes great stuff. Their neck turners, trimmers, etc. are great. I have a lot of their stuff.

For reference, that is not a handheld Lee auto prime in the picture in the bin... it is a Lee bench prime. Entirely different beasts.

I used the primer arm on my single stage RCBS press for a number of years, I agree something that relies on more than the fingers to seat the primer doesn't give the best consistency and isn't a good tool, IMO.

The unit that started this post is a handheld. I have reservations about a handheld that requires touching the primers one at a time to load them in order to seat them. Touching primers with fingers/hands and potentially introducing contamination is questionable.

Very easy with the Lee to put the proper number of primers from the primer box into the Lee tray, tap the tray and flip them right side up.

The video in post #11 shows well, this is much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
frankford here. It's ok and works fine. Like someone else said, if I were to do it again I'd get a 21st century

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Also a Frankford user, here, although I keep the RCBS one set up for large pistol primers for loading .45 Colt, it's okay for that. The PMA one is intriguing, as well.

Torque

FNG
The FFA priming tool is the only tool i have every used that caused a primer ignition during use. It may be a fluke, but I never loaded with it again.

dla

WKR
I have a handheld Lee that I like, but I'm wearing it out. I also have a Lee bench prime that I use a lot. Neither of them are built for thousands of rounds of priming. This is one area where stuff should made of steel and held to close tolerances.
BTW, $185 is ridiculous.