Protect Yourself From Ticks

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
Schleppy (or anyone else), What experience with DEET do you have that makes it "worthless" ? I use it with confidence and like that it goes directly on my skin but am open to other on the skin products that work better. Anyone else here feel that DEET doesnt work ? It certainly is marketed for ticks (not that that matters much). Thanks

I guess I shouldnt have said "worthless" that was an opinion, I have had many many occasions when I had DEET on and still had ticks on my clothing that was just sprayed. I have also been bitten by lots of mosquitos with DEET on too so maybe it's just me. I do know that since I've been wearing the permetherin the only ticks that I find on my cloths are DEAD. And I havent been bitten with it on. I have also already had Lyme disease so I'm very careful. People arent fully aware of how serious Lyme disease can be and now it seems like they have found several other even more serious diseases that ticks are a vector for. Also highly concentrated deet above 30% I believe can be considered toxic. It's not like you're lathering up with sunshine sauce its all poison, and you need to literally "pick your poison". If I'm going to be using poison on my body for ticks, I'm going to use the one that actually kills the ticks and doesnt have to go directly on my skin. There are lots of good articles out there search google for this to get an idea of the tradeoffs: The Toxic Truth About DEET and Permethrin.

Thanks guys ! I Am going to look into the permethrin and probably give it a try. As I have said the game is infested in my hunting region and the % of ticks carrying disease is also very high. Lymes disease ruins people. I have seen it . I take this VERY serious and I appreciate the great info shared on here.

colonel00

WKR
Anyone know where I can find the referenced exlooding increase in deer population?

I know where you can find it but unfortunately you cannot hunt within city limits. My guess is this was more of a reference to whitetails living in suburban areas like here in the midwest.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Ticks are no good. I have a big scar on my neck from a imbedded tick when I was a kid! My mom freaked. The craziest thing happened in 2010 when my buddy and I were scouting for sheep in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. We literally had hundreds of ticks on us in a two day period. I know it sounds crazy but truly we were picking ticks off each of us for two days straight. Talk about creepy!! I still have nightmare about that weekend.

Ticks are no good. I have a big scar on my neck from a imbedded tick when I was a kid! My mom freaked. The craziest thing happened in 2010 when my buddy and I were scouting for sheep in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho. We literally had hundreds of ticks on us in a two day period. I know it sounds crazy but truly we were picking ticks off each of us for two days straight. Talk about creepy!! I still have nightmare about that weekend.

Ticks are creepy as hell. You ever look at one when they're waiting for their next victim. They sit on the tips of grass haut reaching they're little arms gropping the air.

Hell I wish they made of laundry soap with permethrin in it, or dryer sheets or something.

well some claim you can apply then wash and it will still be effective, something I dont subscribe to as my pants get sprayed every time . also turn my pants inside out to spray thinking it creates a barrier against them entering the pant leg. usually wearing heavy two layer carharts when cutting brush and feel spraying the outside is not going to help much on the inside

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
well some claim you can apply then wash and it will still be effective, something I dont subscribe to as my pants get sprayed every time . also turn my pants inside out to spray thinking it creates a barrier against them entering the pant leg. usually wearing heavy two layer carharts when cutting brush and feel spraying the outside is not going to help much on the inside

Ya I don't trust it either on being reliable after washing. However when I ran out once I still went out in the woods after my clothes have been washed and I didn't have any more to apply and I didn't get any ticks. I also apply to the inside and outside of every layer.

cwoodyt87

FNG
Walked through a bed of seed ticks last fall during early whitetail archery. Didn't even realize it until a day later when I started to find them. Found about 5-10 scattered from my ankles to my lower back. A day later I realized how many I initially had - my lower body had more bites than I could count - no less than 30. I itched liked crazy for over 2 weeks. The worst, though, was the fear of getting sick. Monitoring my symptoms and temperature multiple time a day was a drag.

Already stocked up on permethrin a few months ago.

The most evil thing about ticks? Researchers in Missouri (where I live) found that ticks here have been transmitting a disease that leads to red-meat-intolerance. Doesn't set in for several months I believe.

What the hell kind of satan bug robs people of a bone-in ribeye?