PSA - Developing Scarpa Boot Warranty issues

ndbuck09

WKR
This is just a message to those looking at boots. I purchased the Scarpa Grand Dru's in mid-August 2018 and the stitching on the back of the boot has come out, letting water and moisture in, as well as an eyelet is leaking at the toe. I am in the warranty process currently but the initial submission resulted in them saying that these were outside of the Warranty period of 12 months, which is frankly incredible given that these boots are $500, half a grand!! Here are the images of the email correspondence, I called in today to speak to a manager since they never replied on email, so it's developing. I've had La Sportiva's in the past and they take into consideration the price of the boot in warranty situations it seems and it's a much smoother process to get things rectified.

I'm just bummed that they basically want to say that their boots are disposable after a year, even their higher-end more expensive ones. I'll keep this thread updated on the outcome on this second go around with a manager....

warranties are where companies let you know how long their products last. thanks for info, i never thought to check the warranty on boots

CorbLand

WKR
While I generally stand by a business in the fact that their warranty is only a year and you are outside of that year but...that is really sad that a 500 pair of boots only last 13 months. How many miles do you think you have put on them?

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
I have no clue how many miles I have on the boots, although I slept around 40-50 nights in a tent in the last year.

I also do think that a boot at a higher price point should last and perform longer than a lightweight, cheaper shoe/boot, therefore it should carry a better warranty of it's performance.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
The manager there at Scarpa NA got back with me an hour or so ago so I wanted to provide an update. I'm quite relieved I don't have to go out and buy a solid, stiff, warm, waterproof set of boots as we get into the cold, wet and snowy months of hunting ahead! Thank You Scarpa!!!!! You saved face and the day!!

I had a very similar experience with Scarpa over the last year and eventually came to the conclusion that the warranty/customer service was poor enough that I wouldn't buy a pair of Scarpa's again. It's a shame, but I was glad to hear I wasn't the outlier.

CorbLand

WKR
I have no clue how many miles I have on the boots, although I slept around 40-50 nights in a tent in the last year.

I also do think that a boot at a higher price point should last and perform longer than a lightweight, cheaper shoe/boot, therefore it should carry a better warranty of it's performance.

Glad it all worked out for you. I was just curious on the mileage because I have a buddy that burned through a pair of Zamberlins in 2 years. I have the same pair of boots and I have had them for roughly the same time frame. He put over 1200 miles on them in those two years. I havent even come close to that many.

I do, just like all luxury cars have longer warranties than their non luxury counterparts.

Just curious are these cars with lesser warranties sold under the same name? For example each model comes with a different warranty based on the price point? Its an interesting concept if it crossed over to the footwear world.

Just curious are these cars with lesser warranties sold under the same name? For example each model comes with a different warranty based on the price point? Its an interesting concept if it crossed over to the footwear world.
No but think Lexus and Toyota. Same manufacturer but different warranties. Or think of it this way, would you be ok with the same warranty on the Chevrolet 1500 as the Chevrolet 3500 with the Duramax engine? You get a longer warranty on the entire power train of the 3500 in part because you pay a very large premium for the engine.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider

I think some optics companies do this. Doesn't Leupold offer a lifetime warranty on Certain high end binos, and lesser warranty on their low end/entry level binos.

Not positive, but I thought that was the case when I purchased mine a several years ago.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Seems a bit ridiculous that you would complain about the warranty when you knew what it was going in.

My only experience with warranty in the boot world was La Sportiva, who warrantied my Trango Cubes that leaked bad with a check actually after a little over a year...and it was really smooth. I didn't check Scarpa's warranty because for all intensive purposes these two euro boot makers are extremely similiar in that they're arguably the market leaders in the larger outdoor boot space. Hence I assumed they'd be comparable in warranty of their product. When it was becoming a situation, I wanted to post here to inform others who may think in the same train of thought on this as me, thereby helping those folks out.