PSA - Don't be a jackass out there

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Does your position assume they saw the canoe and assume they chucked rocks with malicious intent?

A law enforcement officer shot at someone who he saw push rocks off a bridge, at a distance and closing, and rather than any other choice, literally any choice, the decision was to continue the path and ultimately return fire in their direction.

Remember, there's no "man, the splash 3' to our left we thought was a beaver tail, but then 5' to our right another, that's when we knew...", there's only:

saw a large splash up ahead, thought it was a beaver slapping his tail. Then another. Look up, way up- couple of guys tossing large rocks into the river right where we were headed (yurns out it was rest area off of the interstate).

After the third large rock hit, this time closer yet (because either they changed trajectory, and he continued his path into danger) and knowing they saw us (how is this known?) in the canoe- I raised up my .44 and sent a round that way.
>Read those underlines statements. Nothing infers extremely close proximity or timeliness, except possibly the last rock, though I have my doubts ('closer yet'). Then, the decision was fire a shot into the horizon, in their direction ('look up-way up' & 'i raised up my .44 and sent a round that way').

Imagine telling a cop "well, you see, I didn't want to hit them, however, I decided to shoot the clouds in the sky around them as a warning"

How long you reckon you can reload a single shot, interstate rest area rock-15? How long you reckon between splash 1 to splash 2 to splash 3?

I'm expecting either 0, insults, or new emerging details and a harrowing story.

His choice was shooting, into the horizon TOWARDS offenders, after proceeding into a knowingly dangerous situation.

Pre-empt disaster does not equal first action is shots fired towards people on a bridge rest area.

Clue in on 1 piece. He was below and away from rock chockers. Do you reckon the noise from the shot or the bullet itself ceased their actions.

He chose to shoot their direction, not into any embankment or safe area. So then you must agree the bullet and not the noise, but the combination of bullet and direction towards them ceased their actions. Because if you feel it was noise alone, which was omnidirectional, ceased their actions, then his actions of pointing their direction was malicious intent.

Chances mtwarden reported the interaction, retired or not, are probably slim to none for a reason. A reason id wager he knows the outcome of.
If they threw an acorn instead, should he have mag dumped?

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
This is why we cant have nice things, places and privileges.
Those get taken away from everyone due to the actions of
a few.
We are now seeing the result of years of participation trophies,
"whatever makes you happy", no belt to the backside and never
hearing the word NO.
And after acting like a lunatic, pretending they're the victim.

11boo

WKR
Shooting at someone, who by your words one infers is 'throwing rocks up ahead', is at a decent distance that you could meander to a protective spot, but you proceed closer and closer yet? Sure, I wasn't there, but first action wouldn't be to shoot a 44 their way, while continuing into the path, making (based on what you wrote) no effort to do anything evasive.

You shoot at oncoming cars while crossing the street too?

Guess Montana teaches their wardens shoot first ask later..nice MO.

y'all are complaining about a guy pushing a rock, harmlessly, yet condoning, accepting, launching lead down range.

Id hate to be hiking above y'all at any point.

I was pretty close to getting my head caved in from cliff launched rocks, and when I yell for them to stop, it continued. Was it you up there?

Rich M

WKR
Shooting at someone, who by your words one infers is 'throwing rocks up ahead',

y'all are complaining about a guy pushing a rock, harmlessly, yet condoning, accepting, launching lead down range.
My post doesnt infer that.

The video was everything but Harmless. Google says they can be doing 190 mph. Good luck sidestepping.

Maybe you should spend some time in the woods and experience some of this stuff first hand.

This isn't rocks but when I first moved back to Montana I found a general disregard for safety and private property. A general atitude that when the sidewalks disappeared, that you could do as you wished.

We suffered with drive by shootings. Entertainment was evidently go take a drive and shoot at whatever you could see from the road - gophers, house cats, horses - whatever.

At a political meeting I brought this up to our sheriff and asked for his advise. He said most of the county problems were closer to Helena hence if I filed a complaint, he would have to dispatch an officer from the north end to get to us. We both figured that it would take an hour at best for an officer to show up. He thought for a minute and said 'just shoot back - carefully'.

A week later while I was working on my barn, I heard a car stop on the road ( heavy tree cover) and then they emptied the magazine in their pistol into the trees. Three or four of those bullets hit my barn just above my head. I happened to have a pistol on the tractor and I fired back, as instructed, but placed my bullets into a tree on my place. I heard the doors on the car slam and the tires squeal as they took off almost immediately.

My kids grew up without injury as have my grand kids and I haven't had a drive by shooting since. Rumors in town seem to move fairly quickly.

Life among the population density seems totally different than for those of us that live 20-40 miles from any law enforcement let alone neighbors. It is rare that I wander around in the woods ( public or private) without adequate support.