PSA: Don't forget your hearing protection this fall!

Another one to vouch for this. I'm 35 and just got my first set of hearing aids. I definitely blame the shooting. I've tried to protect it, especially recently, but I wish I would have started earlier.

Coyote188

FNG
I started carrying little foam ear plugs in an easy access pocket on my bino harness with the idea that I would quickly put them in before setting up to shoot. The one time I have shot at an animal since carrying ear plugs, I completely forgot about them in the heat of the moment. Its a start, at least I am thinking about it, hopefully it will become a little more routine with more time.

OP
westonadkins
I started carrying little foam ear plugs in an easy access pocket on my bino harness with the idea that I would quickly put them in before setting up to shoot. The one time I have shot at an animal since carrying ear plugs, I completely forgot about them in the heat of the moment. Its a start, at least I am thinking about it, hopefully it will become a little more routine with more time.

Love it. Maybe try the stemmed ones that look like little Christmas trees. That way you don't have to worry about rolling them, getting them in, and letting them expand. You can just plug and shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
@westonadkins Good reminder! I typically try to wear ear protection while gun hunting. I have the Christmas tree plugs as you call them looped around the back strap of my hat and they hang at the ready. Turkeys are mainly the ones that give me little opportunity on putting them in before the shot.

Also, I just had an audiogram done last week. Long story short, I jumped off a boat house roof at the lake (maybe 12' high) and must have hit wrong. Couldn't hear that well in my right ear for days and was sensitive to sound. Had some bad tinnitus too and went to have it checked. The audiologist (correct term? ) asked if I shot guns or was around other loud noises as he said he could see a dropoff in my hearing at higher frequencies. He said I was still in the normal range though. I'm back to normal now, thankfully.

Attachments

• 20190823_151026.jpg
    20190823_151026.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 12

sneaky

"DADDY"
Love it. Maybe try the stemmed ones that look like little Christmas trees. That way you don't have to worry about rolling them, getting them in, and letting them expand. You can just plug and shoot!

The same style that the govt is getting sued over? Surely there's something better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
westonadkins
The same style that the govt is getting sued over? Surely there's something better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dismissing all stemmed earplugs because of the one faulty product is like saying your F150 had a recall and therefore all trucks are trash. Faulty logic.

However, you are correct that there are better options. Earplugs that go in the ear can leave gaps where sound can get through (stemmed or foam, doesn't matter). That's why I like custom ear plugs. Everyone's ear is different. Ear muffs also give good, consistent attenuation, but they're not as friendly in the field.

OP
westonadkins
@westonadkins Good reminder! I typically try to wear ear protection while gun hunting. I have the Christmas tree plugs as you call them looped around the back strap of my hat and they hang at the ready. Turkeys are mainly the ones that give me little opportunity on putting them in before the shot.

Also, I just had an audiogram done last week. Long story short, I jumped off a boat house roof at the lake (maybe 12' high) and must have hit wrong. Couldn't hear that well in my right ear for days and was sensitive to sound. Had some bad tinnitus too and went to have it checked. The audiologist (correct term? ) asked if I shot guns or was around other loud noises as he said he could see a dropoff in my hearing at higher frequencies. He said I was still in the normal range though. I'm back to normal now, thankfully.

Glad you got back to normal. Gotta watch those high jumps

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice! I grew up without a lot of concern about protecting my hearing. But after seeing people around me losing it, I've become cautious about always having hearing protection when shooting, at concerts and even when I go to the movies. I can't undo those concerts, loud bars and shooting from my youth, but can still hear pretty well and intend to save it as long as possible. Strange thing is, now that I'm accustom to wearing ear plugs, movies are so loud I can't believe people can tolerate them without hearing protection. Plus, I don't mind electronic ear muffs for hunting.