PSA--Yellowstone Closed!

Western states need to plan and create reservoirs to capture some of flood waters and lessen the threat to nearby communities. Here in california, the idiots in sacramento let the runoff waters just flow into the sea instead of capturing it and or diverting it to needy areas.
Maybe it exists, but I can't think of a watershed with more dams than the Missouri River watershed. Are you suggesting a dam to slow down flooding at the headwaters of the Yellowstone? Maybe a little more strategic planning for some of these places is a better idea than disrupting an ecosystem. Places like Red Lodge were strategically placed hundreds of years ago for the proximity of water and based on high water marks no one figured there would be a problem. I'm sure there were maps that existed over the last couple of decades where hydrologists mapped out an event like this and nothing was done with that information. When stuff like this happens and we have 100 year flood events, help people out but don't let them use the money to rebuilding in same spot. I hate to see stuff like this, and it's not the fault of the people that have lost things in natural disasters like this, but if they rebuild and it happens again in 10 years, we should not be throwing money at it.

Yeah, people should be thankful for towns being flooded, loss of municipal water sources due to broken mains, highways and bridges being washed away.

I have never understood why people think living in a flood plain is a good idea. There's one house in that video built on the hill to the right...that smart SOB is looking out his window and smiling. He can walk to the river but the river cannot reach him. Common sense. I just shake my head.

WCB

WKR
Maybe it exists, but I can't think of a watershed with more dams than the Missouri River watershed. Are you suggesting a dam to slow down flooding at the headwaters of the Yellowstone? Maybe a little more strategic planning for some of these places is a better idea than disrupting an ecosystem. Places like Red Lodge were strategically placed hundreds of years ago for the proximity of water and based on high water marks no one figured there would be a problem. I'm sure there were maps that existed over the last couple of decades where hydrologists mapped out an event like this and nothing was done with that information. When stuff like this happens and we have 100 year flood events, help people out but don't let them use the money to rebuilding in same spot. I hate to see stuff like this, and it's not the fault of the people that have lost things in natural disasters like this, but if they rebuild and it happens again in 10 years, we should not be throwing money at it.
I agree 100% with this. Went to college in NW MN and sandbagging for the yearly flooding along the Red River was a social event....felt bad for the people not only for them losing possessions and their homes but how thick headed they were for restoring their house and moving back in.

I saw the videos of the bridges going out, roads collapsing, and houses getting washed away in MT the last couple days and not sure how any thought excepts "what did they expect was eventually going to happen". There are places where the Yellowstone you can visibly see the river changed paths by 100 yards or more...do people think it wont happen again. For me it is the same as the houses and properties in the forests.....don't be surprised when I am not shocked houses and towns burn down.

All good points but as far as california is concerned, diverting water to the Central Valley benefits not only non desert cities but also agriculture beyond almond and pistachio groves. Central Valley is one of the nation's bread baskets. Diverting waters towards the Colorado river is also beneficial.

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
Man, you know the forum is hitting an all time low when people are bitching at each other in a thread about Yellowstone being closed...
Kinda like you bitching about someone reporting you for working on your car in your dumpy apt complex in a thread about a school shooting.

amassi

WKR
All good points but as far as california is concerned, diverting water to the Central Valley benefits not only non desert cities but also agriculture beyond almond and pistachio groves. Central Valley is one of the nation's bread baskets. Diverting waters towards the Colorado river is also beneficial.
Bull it is. It's cheap arid ground that was useless 50 years ago before water diversions started with the aqueduct, it benefits roughly 5 billionaires and its produce is exported.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I have never understood why people think living in a flood plain is a good idea. There's one house in that video built on the hill to the right...that smart SOB is looking out his window and smiling. He can walk to the river but the river cannot reach him. Common sense. I just shake my head.

In general I agree but the record flow for rock creek in red lodge was something like 1320 CFS in 1935. It was over 2000 CFS before the gauge broke yesterday. Nothing close to this has happened there since people have been there. There's a sliding scale to things.. I'm not going to say people shouldn't live in OK because there's a statistically higher chance that a tornado might tear up your house.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Yellowstone River in Billings is sitting at the highest discharge in the 93 year recorded history as we speak. I was just on the bank in Red Lodge this afternoon and drove down the Clark’s Fork from Belfry to Billings. It isn’t even comprehend-able how much water is moving out of the Beartooths.

You can stand and listen to boulders rolling down the river channel underwater through the main drag of Red Lodge. The velocities are insane.

CorbLand

WKR
Kinda like you bitching about someone reporting you for working on your car in your dumpy apt complex in a thread about a school shooting.
I recall using it as an example of how and why I know red flag laws would be abused. Do not recall bitching about it though.

S.Clancy

WKR
Yellowstone River in Billings is sitting at the highest discharge in the 93 year recorded history as we speak. I was just on the bank in Red Lodge this afternoon and drove down the Clark’s Fork from Belfry to Billings. It isn’t even comprehend-able how much water is moving out of the Beartooths.

You can stand and listen to boulders rolling down the river channel underwater through the main drag of Red Lodge. The velocities are insane.
I don't think Billings has seen it's peak ever flow, only highest for this date. As for the others, it was pretty unbelievable. Lamar river peaked 4.5 ft higher than previous peak....I doubt they will ever even get a decent flow estimate because it is so outside of normal.

I don't know why, but I can't believe the house floated so well. I thought for sure it was going to sink or get completely torn apart....
I thought the same thing. One hell of a framer on that house. The way it just plopped in and took off like a raft. Truly curious how long it stayed together down river.

CorbLand

WKR
I thought the same thing. One hell of a framer on that house. The way it just plopped in and took off like a raft. Truly curious how long it stayed together down river.
Imagine if it settled in someone’s back yard overnight. Wake up in the morning, “damn that Amazon delivery is sure getting efficient.”

tdhanses

WKR
Think I saw a video where it had sunk some but was finally torn apart when it hit a bridge, sounded like it was the owners video as it sounded like they said I can’t believe that’s our house.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Flathead and Glacier getting some rain & snow...has rained 3+ inches in 24 hours with snow at 5000. Then we're supposed to hit 80's later this week. Should make for some interesting flows. I guess we could take out the Hungry Horse dam & Kerr dam & in Thompson Falls & Noxon. I'm sure that would clear a good path along the river corridors so the salmon could run again. Wonder if with the flows around Yellowstone the lake trout will still be considered invasive species. Probably really get our tourism up this year in Glacier...oh wait....no one can get in without a ticket...new rules. You can drive around outside the park though until you run out of gas money. Should make an interesting summer....will take months to rebuild those roads if not years. Probably be some good trout fishing somewhere in the Missouri where ever all those trout settle out.

Azone

WKR
Flathead and Glacier getting some rain & snow...has rained 3+ inches in 24 hours with snow at 5000. Then we're supposed to hit 80's later this week. Should make for some interesting flows. I guess we could take out the Hungry Horse dam & Kerr dam & in Thompson Falls & Noxon. I'm sure that would clear a good path along the river corridors so the salmon could run again. Wonder if with the flows around Yellowstone the lake trout will still be considered invasive species. Probably really get our tourism up this year in Glacier...oh wait....no one can get in without a ticket...new rules. You can drive around outside the park though until you run out of gas money. Should make an interesting summer....will take months to rebuild those roads if not years. Probably be some good trout fishing somewhere in the Missouri where ever all those trout settle out.
How does a flood on a scale as this one effect trout fishing? I was recently exploring some new country along a river in my area, where a hellacious wildfire followed by a atmospheric river event several months later occurred and the river is empty of trout. A lot of deep holes and rocky stretches filled in with sand and silt.

Broomd

WKR
Believe it or not, some of that water actually need to run to the sea. Fisheries, waterfowl and many ecosystems depend on it.

Or should we just sacrifice our pastimes so someone else can water a golf course or export almonds to Asia.

Don’t build your shit in the middle of the desert then come crying when the tap runs dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California has been a total clown show with their lack of diligence re. reservoir construction and water collection over the last century. It goes hand in hand with their lack of timber mitigation and undergrowth thinning.

Idiots all, more concerned with social justice and trans bullsh t than the safety and practical well-being of their citizens.