Public land hunting West Virginia

morten

FNG
Thinking of planning a DIY deer hunt in southern West Virginia on public land next year. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

OP
morten

morten

FNG
Thanks Billy Goat. Can you give more details. Is it just tough hunting, high pressure?

Not that high of pressure, but big area and densities are low.

Tho the pressure is increasing as people find out about it, I assume you are looking at the bow only counties.

It's needle in a haystack hunting, and best to do it from a stand. I don't do well with sitting all day. My attention stand for looking at the same thing over and over is about 2 hours max.

OP
morten

morten

FNG
I see. Thanks BG. I can set all day so that’s not an issue. Sound like a guy should do a lot of scouting ahead of time to try an locate one. Appreciate your comments.

burk313

FNG
I am a nonresident from PA.. I hunt near Elkins in the Mononghahela National Forest Otter Creek Wilderness Area...It is a remote area and I do day hikes.. I killed one nice 8 pointer a few years ago but have seen other nice ones over the years I did not get shots at... You could hunt the 4 bow only counties in the SW there are a few public areas down there but I never hunted down that way...

EKyhookr

FNG
I am a nonresident from PA.. I hunt near Elkins in the Mononghahela National Forest Otter Creek Wilderness Area...It is a remote area and I do day hikes.. I killed one nice 8 pointer a few years ago but have seen other nice ones over the years I did not get shots at... You could hunt the 4 bow only counties in the SW there are a few public areas down there but I never hunted down that way...

It’s the same as mentioning western units, quit blowing up spots. Send a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CroMagnum

FNG
Hey guys. I'm thinking of a DIY rifle or bow deer hunting trip to WV this season Nov/Dec timeframe and just want to know how the deer density is in the Monongahela National Forest area or should I focus my attention elsewhere. Just looking for general info (don't need your honey holes...lol)

burk313

FNG
Cromagnum, I hunt near Elkins,WV.. There are deer in pockets in the Mon National Forest. You need to find their food sources and go from there.. I hunt the Otter Creek area.. After the first day or two there are fewer hunters in rifle season... Archery hunting it is lightly hunted.. If you have questions email me at [email protected]

CroMagnum

FNG
Cromagnum, I hunt near Elkins,WV.. There are deer in pockets in the Mon National Forest. You need to find their food sources and go from there.. I hunt the Otter Creek area.. After the first day or two there are fewer hunters in rifle season... Archery hunting it is lightly hunted.. If you have questions email me at [email protected]
Thanks Burk313 - I'm a Georgia resident and ahve relatives near Parkersburg and Huntington. I'll email you with a couple questions in a bit. Thanks again, sir!

Nathaniel stste forrest near Romney WVA. I hear is a decent area. Never hunted there but know a few who have and they kill some nice deer in there every year.

Did a hunt in the cranberry wilderness last year. Got close to some critters but walked out with a light pack. Definitely get your legs under you before you go and good luck!

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
Sent you an email as well.