WTS/WTT Public service announcement

Scottf270

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a reminder that when paying for something using Paypal that there could be tax implications. I don't buy often, but when I tried to send payment for a scope recently, it asked for a tax id number to avoid a 25% withholding.

Now I was sending money not receiving but I was concerned the seller would be hit with this. We decided on a snail mail check.

I know this has been delayed for a few years and I'm not an expert on the subject but just sharing a concern.

N8iV Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
But beware there is no guarantee that the person will send or protect you from being ripped off from the transaction. Ask me I know I have all the guys info and I Still got ripped off from this guy that’s a Rokslider on here. Sorry for the rant. Be safe

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
But beware there is no guarantee that the person will send or protect you from being ripped off from the transaction. Ask me I know I have all the guys info and I Still got ripped off from this guy that’s a Rokslider on here. Sorry for the rant. Be safe
You can use PPFF with a credit card, but YOU pay the fee and not the seller. If you don't mind the extra 3% for the peace of mind of being able to do a chargeback, that would be a way. Also you won't get a 1099, but the seller may.

I've never done that, but you might ask your CC company what happens when a chargeback isn't collectible. Do you end up getting stiffed or do they?

Dthomas3523

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep in mind, this is all just reporting thresholds required. Not a chance in actual tax implications.By law, you're supposed to self report if you make any profit, even on a personal sale.

If you buy a baseball card for $5 and sell it for $20 to someone with PP F&F, you are still legally supposed to report that $15 profit whether PP reports the transaction or not.

Obviously most people don't do this. Just pointing out that the reporting changes for companies like PP didn't all of a sudden make some of this stuff now reportable. They were always supposed to be reported in the past by the individual making the sale.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you sell an item and take a loss this crap doesn't apply to you. They can send all the tax forms they want. But, you have to keep receipts in case you get audited. Govt already taxes you ten different ways. They can pound sand on selling used gear at a loss.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you sell an item and take a loss this crap doesn't apply to you. They can send all the tax forms they want. But, you have to keep receipts in case you get audited. Govt already taxes you ten different ways. They can pound sand on selling used gear at a loss.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
The losses could offset gains if you sell a number of items so be woke to that.

Buzby

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PP G&S won’t protect you for any firearms related purchases. Even scopes, from what I’ve heard.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya Fook the government overreach, they fail every audit every year. but oh God Make sure you pay your tax on something I wanna sell. **** them
gotta send to Ukraine & other countries so they can get their kick back.
stop using woke companies
d2f68f62b4f630afb333dcaff1f49e4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
PP G&S won’t protect you for any firearms related purchases. Even scopes, from what I’ve heard.

They don't like you using it for guns and gun related stuff regardless of which payment option that you use. You could have your funds frozen or confiscated and maybe your account closed.

Savagenut

WKR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Keep in mind, this is all just reporting thresholds required. Not a chance in actual tax implications.By law, you're supposed to self report if you make any profit, even on a personal sale.

If you buy a baseball card for $5 and sell it for $20 to someone with PP F&F, you are still legally supposed to report that $15 profit whether PP reports the transaction or not.

Obviously most people don't do this. Just pointing out that the reporting changes for companies like PP didn't all of a sudden make some of this stuff now reportable. They were always supposed to be reported in the past by the individual making the sale.

If I buy a baseball card for 20 and sell it for 5 can I write off the loss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The losses could offset gains if you sell a number of items so be woke to that.
Nope, unless you are in the business of buying and selling the items.

There are other threads on this topic and some but not all of the above is correct.