Puffy Boot Cover?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Lawnboi said I would sell a s@#* load of hunter friendly ultralight puffy boot covers.

I don't know exactly how I will finish the bottom.

Do I include a stiff but ultralight closed cell foam bottom?
Straps like gaiters?
Cordura or ripstop?
Half inch of insulation or more?
How much is too heavy?
4 ounces per bootie?
Do you want to walk short distances with them on?

What say you Roksliders?

Cool idea. I am a fan of the concept and have a set of the articshield version I use for stand hunts some time. I have also seen a pair by Exped. Having the ability to walk round a little but in them is a plus/must for me, other wise You could go with some down sleeping booties like EE sells.

One thought is when sizing them make sure they can handle winter boots up to a reasonable size. My artic shield version does fine with non insulated size 13 boots but I have a hard time closing them over my kenetrek mountain extremes and more bulky winter boots, which kind of defeats the purpose.

406unltd

WKR
I’d be interested. If I did move in them it wouldn’t be much. Only a 50yd area around where I would glass/ hangout for the day. I personally think that is an acceptable weight. A must is a good zipper. A tightening strap may be useful. A lightweight version of what lacrosse does on the back/calf of their rubber boots or gaiter option like you said, or a draw cord. I use a 10” boot so height options would be good to lock onto top of boot so as to eliminate slippage downward.

Lawnboi

WKR
Rip stop with a cordura or that rubberized cordura bottom. Little bit of closed cell road on the bottom might not be bad but will make it less packable, I’d go without.

I like the back zipper. Needs to be able to fit over boots, but also be comfortable enough to wear while in a sleeping bag. There’s a lot of booties out there either UL for mountaineering or big and bulky for treestand use. I think an in between pair, for around camp, sleeping and glassing would be awesome.

I think kifaru used to sell a pair long ago when they had their pack lock clothing.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks, all good feedback. I did picture them going over my Kenetreks. And, I think it is striking the balance between UL and just "walkable" enough so they don't get ruined standing up to stretch legs. Creating something that you can walk on and not destroy it with boots inside will be interesting.

Got some other projects in the works before this. But, still looking for feedback. For the first full prototype, I am thinking:

Cordura "sole" and sil poly ripstop everywhere else.

Rear velcro, I think its the best place to put it for entry and better for controlling heat loss. Zipper can get damaged if you rest the back of the boot on the ground or a rock. Velcro will be softer if you want to wear to sleep in.

Insulated including bottom.

Ripstop interior. I think I am gonna make an optional little bootie for dirty boots if people want to wear the puffy with socks later. Or, they can put on plastic bags, lol, to control dirt and moisture from the boots.

Elastic to keep it tight to boot at the arch? Still not sure on this one.

Elastic shock cord around the ankle to keep it on tight.

Great idea. Been looking for something like this. I don't like hiking in heavy insulated boots - makes my feet wet and sweaty. This looks great.

The weight you're showing is acceptable in my book!

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great idea. Been looking for something like this. I don't like hiking in heavy insulated boots - makes my feet wet and sweaty. This looks great.

The weight you're showing is acceptable in my book!

Same here, I sweat out socks fast on a hike. I will often change into dry socks so my feet don't get cold if I will stop to glass or sit in camp. Colorado this year was the first time I would have wanted these... man it was cold in the wind and snow. Glassed up some elk and bucks through it though.
20201109_074817.jpg

Maybe test felt soles almost like the old waders. Adds warmth in the bottom, cushion, and can be glued & sewn on. Durability and function of the soles will be a task.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Those look legit. What insulation are you planning to use?
Apex insulation.

Maybe test felt soles almost like the old waders. Adds warmth in the bottom, cushion, and can be glued & sewn on. Durability and function of the soles will be a task.

That's a good idea, I will try to find some to test. My concern is weight, felt is pretty dense.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, I'm finding lot's of your stuff today 👍.
I started a thread last week~ish about looking for more snow-friendly camp boots. So, not overboots, but a stand alone thing for when I get my mountain boots off at the end of the day.
I've tried various insulating socks with crocs, and three different sets of down booties.
Inevitably, all of these have:
- soaked through from wet snow
- been pulled off, or filled up with snow, because the snow is knee+ deep...even just walking 20ft from the tent to take a piss
- have no traction on the icy packed snow that builds up just outside the tent door. I slip and fall while making dinner next to my tent.

My perfect product is:
- waterproof, but maybe at least a little breathable for boot-weary feet after a long day chasing goats?
- warm as a 20F sleeping bag
- has some kind of traction on the bottom. I've thought about gluing on a replacement vibram sole.
another link: https://us.vibram.com/company/shoe-service/shoe-outsole-repair/
- can cinch tight against my calf to keep snow from coming in. Like a tall mukluk
- Ideally is in the 8-12oz range per pair.

just think of how popular this product would be!! 🤣😉

Last edited:

SonnyDay

WKR
I have a few pairs of similar "supergaiters" from my mountaineering days. One is a full neoprene overboot that has a rubberized neoprene bottom. They are intended to go under a set of crampons (the thought being, if it's cold enough to need them, you're on snow and ice). They are heavy! No idea who made them.

The other pair is from OR, and are pretty lightweight (cordura+gortex+ripstop). They have elastic under the arch to help keep them in place, and no bottom. It can be really nice to have your actual boot treads available for walking if you're going far or the terrain is dicey. Even these really need to be worn with crampons to stay in place (they have toe and heel tabs that are meant to tuck inside of the crampon bails/straps). They came with removable foam insulation pads that fit into pockets on either side of the foot. That's a nice feature since many times (e.g. wind) just the extra protection of the gore-tex is enough to keep you warm... but other times you need the insulation.

For glassing/stand hunting, it might be cool to have an insulated bottom that can be removed if walking is in order, or maybe there's some cleaver way to fold it up to the outside of the overboot so it is mostly out of the way... which would expose the boot tread.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

blackdawg

WKR
A compression sack would also be great. I have the Ice Breakers and they are much to large and do not compress enough to allow any use other than permanent stand hunting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
If you’re looking to make and sell, boot covers to and warmth, my thoughts are:

If you’re going after over boots and as lawnb said, to be used sleeping... two very different sizes. I’d size two ways, foot only size and over boot size. No way I’d try to use my attic shields over foot at nigh without the boot on. Too loose no value.

we’re capturing what little heat cones out of you warm foot thru leather, so fit the with a little room for lofting air. I’d also put heat pocket above toe box and below toe box for an option.

if light weight over boot is goal, drop the need to walk. You’ll add a lot of weight to have some durable in bottom. Attic shields already exist

not sure what your insulation is, but if the bottom isn’t, or it is compressible when standing on it that’s a no go at for me. Heat loss still starts from the ground. Need non compression insulation on bottom.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The with or without the sole is the question... this is where I am at on development and goals.

Must be ultralight, no compromise. I can't think of a way to make it "walkable" without adding unnecessary weight.
Must be on and off fast. If you can't walk on them, it needs to be easy on and off.
Must be insulated all the way around. It doesn't make sense to make it, carry it, or put it on unless you get protection from your feet on the snow.

I am thinking that a bootie with insulation all the way around, but not designed for walking is the only viable lightweight solution. But, for the bottom it will need to be a closed cell foam so that it doesn't compress. And, the fabric on the bottom and heel needs to be abrasion resistant as the contact points with possible rocks, and waterproof or at a minimum water resistant.

What I have now in the plan is Apex insulated top with waterproof ripstop nylon. Zipper in the back. Bottom will be a closed cell foam like the blue roll up camping pads and Cordura, XPac, or rubberized nylon for the wear points. I think a quarter inch thick pad will be enough along with the air gap created by the tread of the sole to provide meaningful insulation.

I am going to cut all the materials and weigh it to see it if meets the ultralight standard close enough to justify producing it.

I can make a pocket that they can slide into. Placing them sole to sole and end to end they will be a fairly flat package once the Apex is flattened. I am imagining 1 to 1.5 inches thick and bigger than your boot for an outline or each one would roll up in the size of a Coke can. It may not meet the size goal.

The alternative is to use Apex everywhere, but you lose insulation value if you put your foot down. It would certainly be the lightest and most compact. Maybe the compression isn't as big a deal as I am making it for enough guys to produce a super small, super light boot cover.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey, I'm finding lot's of your stuff today 👍.
I started a thread last week~ish about looking for more snow-friendly camp boots. So, not overboots, but a stand alone thing for when I get my mountain boots off at the end of the day.
I've tried various insulating socks with crocs, and three different sets of down booties.
Inevitably, all of these have:
- soaked through from wet snow
- been pulled off, or filled up with snow, because the snow is knee+ deep...even just walking 20ft from the tent to take a piss
- have no traction on the icy packed snow that builds up just outside the tent door. I slip and fall while making dinner next to my tent.

My perfect product is:
- waterproof, but maybe at least a little breathable for boot-weary feet after a long day chasing goats?
- warm as a 20F sleeping bag
- has some kind of traction on the bottom. I've thought about gluing on a replacement vibram sole.
another link: https://us.vibram.com/company/shoe-service/shoe-outsole-repair/
- can cinch tight against my calf to keep snow from coming in. Like a tall mukluk
- Ideally is in the 8-12oz range per pair.

just think of how popular this product would be!! 🤣😉
I would sell dozens if I could make them!

I read your thread with a lot of interest, actually. I've done market research about what is out there, and there isn't anything like this, probably because it is hard to put all the traits into it.

The real issue starts at the sole and issue increase as you go up, hahahaha. I have made many pair of moccasins for boy scout mountain man rendezvous, and wore them in all weather. I played with all sorts of soles and insoles to make them comfortable to wear all day, but still look like primitive moccasins. I have vibram and other sheet rubber to resole shoes that I have messed with on other projects.

The ultralight camp pad foam compresses over time. Other foam is more durable but heavier. Rubber sole or a durable tread material of any kind adds too much weight. If you rely on it for walking, especially with a heavy boot tread over rocks, you can't have a soft sole, because walking over rocks will puncture and rip soft materials and fabrics over foam. I used leather on moccasins, and that didn't rip or tear, but it wasn't water resistant. Maybe I could add a water proof layer to leather, but then you have a thicker weight on the bottom. That is the best solution I have thought of so far, so I might actually try a laminate with leather. I still have the issue of sewing the sole onto the upper and keeping it water resistant.

Also, as soon as you sew something, it is going to leak through the stitching as the thread draws in water. Getting them waterproof is a tall order.

Trying to meet all your wish list, I would just end up making a boot, lol. That's why I have settled on the idea of a bootie that you slip over and zip up, all done easily so you don't mind pulling them off to walk a few steps before putting them on again.

In the end, I keep picturing light little quilts that wrap around your feet and have abrasion resistant fabric between the boot and the ground. Anything more than that and all of a sudden the weight and complexity of it skyrockets.