Puffy Pants Versus

I've been in -20 for two weeks at a time and fleece pants and long johns are a death sentence.

I've lived in this type of environment and much colder, for 60 years. I'm not fond of cold weather, at all, but you definitely don't need $200.00 or $300.00 puffy pants to sit out in it. Just saying. But if you have thousands of disposable dollars and nothing else to spend it on but trendy outdoor clothing, go for it.

I don't care if you spend $10 or $10,000, the human body will shut down and die if exposed to -20 and greater wind chill for 12 hours if not insulated properly.

Yeah, if you're buck naked at Twenty Below you're going to freeze something and, you'll probably stop breathing in that if you're naked, too.

Poser

WKR
I've lived in this type of environment and much colder, for 60 years. I'm not fond of cold weather, at all, but you definitely don't need $200.00 or $300.00 puffy pants to sit out in it. Just saying. But if you have thousands of disposable dollars and nothing else to spend it on but trendy outdoor clothing, go for it.

Is this hill really worth the argumentative effort you’re putting into it to die on?

“Puffy pants” have been around for a long time. Mountaineers have been using them since at least the 80s. I have a pair of zip off TNF fleece pants that I’ve had since the early 90s and used them up until I upgraded to down a few years ago which I did to reduce the volume they take up in the pack. It’s just insulation and you wouldn’t be making this argument about puffy jackets, which cost even more.

I have a pair of zip off TNF fleece pants that I’ve had since the early 90s and used them up until I upgraded to down a few years ago which I did to reduce the volume they take up in the pack.

I wear the fleece-lined as pants. I don't carry them in my pack.

Macintosh

WKR
Plenty of people I see working outside in real cold wearing what I would freeze in. My brother wears just a ball cap and a shirt jacket all winter and stays warm, while I shiver in it. So while Im sure it could be done, I call total bs on it being anything short of an oddity for someone acclimated to living and working outside. I was an ice climbing guide for many years and have to say most clients would freeze below zero regardless of what they wore. But a pair of cotton pants with a fleece lining isnt going to cut it if you dont have somewhere to dry it out every night, they are heavy as heck and not packable, and you cant take em off when you need to move. Probably works for someone on a day trip or from a place with a wood stove to dry out every night, but if looking for a packable pair of pants for cold wx they are doggy doo-doo at best. If someone cant afford down there are way better options than a glorified pair of insulated jeans.

Also, folks have been using down insulated pants LOOOONG before the 1980’s.

Only thing to add is that I have had poor luck with treated down, it doesnt keep its water resistant qualities through washing and it isnt as warm per weight in part because the loft is overstated as a result of the treatment. There may be a new treatment that avoids some if this in the last year or three that I havent tried, but that was my experience up until 2020 or so when I was working on this for work.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Makes sense. I have a pair of work pants like that I use around home in cold wx. At this point they have enough bar and chain oil on them that they are almost water prooof. They work ice fishing too. But in cold wx hunting I need to be able to hike in a couple miles without sweating and then put them on to sit, so packability and weight is important to me. Has nothing to do with following anyone or designer names, down just happens to be highly packable, very light…and expensive. Diff horses for diff courses. The good thing is if you take care of it down will last a really long time.

S.Clancy

WKR
I use a pair of OR synthetic pants, they don't make them anymore. I hunt in some pretty cold temps, and I have barely used them. Mostly cause when it is below 0 the animals are moving enough that I never really sit down long.

Poser

WKR
I wear mine from the time I leave the tent in the morning, until I get back in the tent at night. I don't carry them in my pack.

That’s entirely impractical for me. I can’t hike or skin in anything insulated for any length of time, no matter how cold it gets. I’ve started out some cold ski tours wearing zip off baselayers and they almost always come off within the first 20 minutes. So, like many people, I get very hot when ascending and then promptly get cold when sitting still for sustained amounts of time. Hence, puffy pants.

Do you realize that you are losing this ridiculous argument? Apparently, the sheep have hanged up on you.

I can’t hike or skin in anything insulated for any length of time, no matter how cold it gets.

The alternative for me would be to hike in my long john bottoms - which I ain't doing, because that's a cold proposition - so the insulated pants get put on before I leave the tent.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Only thing to add is that I have had poor luck with treated down, it doesnt keep its water resistant qualities through washing and it isnt as warm per weight in part because the loft is overstated as a result of the treatment. There may be a new treatment that avoids some if this in the last year or three that I havent tried, but that was my experience up until 2020 or so when I was working on this for work.
I've got treated down and non-treated down but I haven't tested the down treatment of any jacket or bag. I've heard that Kuiu's and SG's treatment works pretty well. Ryan Avery's unscientific test seemed pretty convincing though. He said that the SG Grunman never lost it's loft and it took something like an hour for Kuiu's. I've also wondered about the loft as a result of the treatment as well. Also, the longevity of that treatment. . I live in Western Oregon so moisture can be a real problem. . but it's also not really cold, usually, so I don't need puffy pants. I'm looking for puffy pants for a December AZ elk hunt near Flagstaff.

I'd say that usually I'm with Mykolaivka887 but there have been times where a puffy pant would have worked so much better than the pants I've used. Specifically when I've had to sleep out on the ground without a shelter overnight.

I also enjoy, more than need, high end gear. I currently have $250 in gift cards that I can use towards pants at black ovis. Black Ovis is coming out with an upgraded puffy pant towards the end of the year. . that's what I was really wanting but that may be too late for a December 1st hunt. . .

On the topic of puffy pants, but just as an aside, I spent one entire winter in the Wrangell/St Elias Mountains studying Dall Sheep. I'd spend all day [days are short that far north, but even still] sitting behind a spotting scope in temperatures down to -60 degrees Fahrenheit, wearing heavy GI issue, Korean War era wool pants. Now that was cold.