Puffy Recommendations

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a puffy. I run a Jetstream as my outer layer right now, so something that would be optimal with that would be nice. I have a Kelvin Hoody, but I bought an XL and I swim in the damn thing... so not the best insulator :| Sitka won't exchange it because its been over 60 days, so I'm not stuck to a brand. My buddy recommended the First Lite Uncompahgre. Looks way lighter, which would be nice, but how's the warmth? This would basically only be used for glassing sessions and around camp, so doesn't necessary need to be camo either. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Grizz

FNG
OR transcendent hoody. Affordable and comes in green. If it's really cold I use a feathered friends volant.

robie

WKR
I've got the Kuiu super down hooded jacket and I've been impressed. They just had a 20% of sale. I think I have a 15% off coupon if you go that route.

Depending on the conditions I run a base layer, then 210 Merino, then puffy if it gets cold and top it off with a Yukon if I need it for rain or wind blocker.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I also really like the Kuiu super down hooded jacket, so much so that I have a few of them. a couple for my son and me for hunting and one in solid that I wear daily when conditions indicate. It's definitely not a do all jacket (not nearly enough insulation when the temps drop below zero), but for the temps that are most common when I'm hunting, it works great. Another nice thing about them is, if you don't like hoods, they make a hoodless version and they're cheaper than the hooded.

I run the FL Uncompaghre and really like it - lightweight, packable and quite warm. Hard to beat other than the price. Would guess you could sell your puffy here or on ebay.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say enough about the Uncompaghre. Excellent insulation piece.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
M
The KUIU is crazy light, holy crap. Also per the description says it's wind proof. Most of my hunting in the mountains is mid-October or earlier, so that might be the ticket. The OR is definitely at a better price point, but doesn't appear (I think) to have the wind-breaking qualities. The Uncompahgre does per the descriptions but comes in a lot heavier. I guess that spurs another question, do you guys value a wind braking puffy? The Jetstream is definitely form fitting, but a light puffy should fit alright underneath it, so that shouldn't be necessary.... right? Appreciate the input guys!

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Stay tuned for the 2019 release from First Lite, based upon Robby's "sticky" thread and rumors floating around, it sounds like First Lite is offering an lighter weight down jacket to complement their Chamberlin jacket and replace the cirrus jacket that was previously used as an insulating jacket. I'm sure First Lite will not disappoint with this offering.

That new Stone Glacier Puffy looks pretty slick. Might need to test one out. Used the Kuiu SD for a couple seasons and then jumped up to the Kifaru Lost Parka. Definitely a weight gain going to the Lost Parka, but it's bomber tough and warm.

robie

WKR
The KUIU is crazy light, holy crap. Also per the description says it's wind proof. Most of my hunting in the mountains is mid-October or earlier, so that might be the ticket. The OR is definitely at a better price point, but doesn't appear (I think) to have the wind-breaking qualities. The Uncompahgre does per the descriptions but comes in a lot heavier. I guess that spurs another question, do you guys value a wind braking puffy? The Jetstream is definitely form fitting, but a light puffy should fit alright underneath it, so that shouldn't be necessary.... right? Appreciate the input guys!
It is very light and very windproof. Not made for hiking around as you will heat up fast. It is designed for putting on when not moving as in it doesn't breathe.

I'm sure other's are great as well, my only thing to point out us it won't take a beating. The outer layer isn't designed to be tough to save weight.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Lost park parka, get one in the classified section, always seems to be one popping up for a good price

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mclovin

FNG
Love my First Lite Uncompaghre Puffy. I own two, one in solid one in camo. It's great because it is very versatile. I've done 20 degree weather with the wick hoody, klamath hoody, and the uncompaghre and was just fine. The Chamberlain is also great to... it is super warm!!!

FURMAN

WKR
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a puffy. I run a Jetstream as my outer layer right now, so something that would be optimal with that would be nice. I have a Kelvin Hoody, but I bought an XL and I swim in the damn thing... so not the best insulator :| Sitka won't exchange it because its been over 60 days, so I'm not stuck to a brand. My buddy recommended the First Lite Uncompahgre. Looks way lighter, which would be nice, but how's the warmth? This would basically only be used for glassing sessions and around camp, so doesn't necessary need to be camo either. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Day hunts from the truck or back country? How cold do you run?

freebird

WKR
For me weight is not a big issue as I don't hike too far, just want something to keep me warm while glassing. I have a cabelas 10 point parka, it does ok. I have been leaning towards a lost park parka for a while now. Kinda waiting to see the lost park pant when it comes out. The Kuiu super down looks nice. Could always just keep my 10 point parka and get a woobie and wrap up.

OP
M
Day hunts from the truck or back country? How cold do you run?

Both, but this would be geared towards back country. On day hunts I only bring a puffy if I know I'll be glassing quite a bit or if the temperature warrants it. The vast majority of my hunting is in September, but we do have a muley hunt that runs from mid to late October. During prolonged sit sessions I run cold compared to my partners, so more warmth is worth the weight to me.