Puffy Recommendations

FURMAN

WKR
First, I would ditch the soft shell and just carry a hard shell or nothing at all. The soft-shell has very little warmth for the weight. If you run cold like I do I have found the puffys in the 10 oz range are just not enough. I am currently running a Lost Park Parka. It is very warm and slightly more durable than some of the other options. I would also look at the Chamberlin and the Kelvin WS they will be warmer than the LPP. If you do not want to go that heavy look at Uncompahgre.

OP
M
The LPP looks to be the happy medium between what I'd call a light down jacket and a super down jacket. Given I don't really plan to do much late season stuff, that's probably the best option. Just waiting to get my rejected Kelvin return request back from Sitka and it'll be up in the Classifieds if anyone's interested =P

tracker12

WKR
What is your size that the Kelvin Hoody is to big in XL. I was looking at it and kind of torn over size.

I’ve got the kuiu superdown, superdown vest, and Kenai jacket. I also have the Kifaru LPP.
The superdown jacket over a smart wool T-shirt and peloton long sleeved shirt was plenty for me in the Brooks Range, with the Yukon jacket for rain/snow.

I recently picked up the LPP, and have been amazed at what it offers for warmth to weight. I spent a day ice fishing in the LPP, sitting on a chair, while the other 8 dudes huddled around heaters in their ice fishing tents. I also did a late season cow elk hunt in 5 degree weather and whipping winds. The LPP kept me warm and comfy while glassing and waiting out herd movements.

If I were going for weight savings, I would tip the hat to the superdown and layers. If it’s just “make me warm”, the lost park parka gets the nod.

OP
M
What is your size that the Kelvin Hoody is to big in XL. I was looking at it and kind of torn over size.

I'm 5'11" 185 lbs, but a trim 185 if that makes sense. My plan was for it to be my outer layer during glassing sessions, and since Sitka's large is normally pretty form fitting on me I assumed I would need an XL. Didn't account for the 'expedition' fit difference, and the thing is huge on me as a result.

OP
M
I’ve got the kuiu superdown, superdown vest, and Kenai jacket. I also have the Kifaru LPP.
The superdown jacket over a smart wool T-shirt and peloton long sleeved shirt was plenty for me in the Brooks Range, with the Yukon jacket for rain/snow.

I recently picked up the LPP, and have been amazed at what it offers for warmth to weight. I spent a day ice fishing in the LPP, sitting on a chair, while the other 8 dudes huddled around heaters in their ice fishing tents. I also did a late season cow elk hunt in 5 degree weather and whipping winds. The LPP kept me warm and comfy while glassing and waiting out herd movements.

If I were going for weight savings, I would tip the hat to the superdown and layers. If it’s just “make me warm”, the lost park parka gets the nod.

Thanks for the context, I appreciate it! One question, how packable is it? Similar to the other brands offerings?

Trial153

WKR
Lighter than the Chamberlin then. I can’t find anything on how much fill it has. Looks like a nice jacket.

Its has already knocked one down puffy out of my stable. I need to use it a bit more this winter and get better feel for it. After the hound season wraps up maybe I will do a review of it. It has couple features that makes it a little bit different that a lot of offerings.

carter33

WKR
I would take a look at beyond clothing, specifically the A7. It reminds me very much of the LPP (which I currently use) but with a little more attention to detail and I think may be a bit warmer due to more insulation. It comes in a standard or “durable” selection with areas reinforced similar to the LPP. It is also actually made in America as is Kifaru. Most others mentioned are not.

tracker12

WKR
Boy I never looked towards Kifaru for a clothing item but all the talk about the LPP has me very interested. Do they run any sells after the hunting season?

Thanks for the context, I appreciate it! One question, how packable is it? Similar to the other brands offerings?
It is much more packable than I expected. I’ve never used a compression sack on it, but it’ll cram into the pack in a space about like an overstuffed Manila envelope.

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I also really like the Kuiu super down hooded jacket, so much so that I have a few of them. a couple for my son and me for hunting and one in solid that I wear daily when conditions indicate. It's definitely not a do all jacket (not nearly enough insulation when the temps drop below zero), but for the temps that are most common when I'm hunting, it works great. Another nice thing about them is, if you don't like hoods, they make a hoodless version and they're cheaper than the hooded.
Are you referring to the Pro or the Ultra?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kelvins are an expedition fit and run a whole size large. Order the size down from what you normally wear. Kelvin lite is more true to size

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just send your measurements to Nunatak gear and get exactly what you want made. Pick down or Apex synthetic. Colors. Custom features. That's going to be my next route.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk