Puffy vest or jacket?

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Having a hard time finding anything to look at, for clothing, where I am at. I need a new jacket - more hiking and fishing than hunting, but would use it as a layer for hunting if it worked. Also would like to add a puffy layer to my system and was considering a vest, but maybe it should be a jacket?

My first question is about the puffy layer - would you recommend a jacket or vest? I am leaning toward a vest as a layer, but would like opinions. I found a Patagonia vest and jacket, plus a Simms vest. Any thoughts on either of these two brands or recommendations for others?

For the jacket, I am looking for a spring weather jacket (fleece lined for cool to cold weather) that is water resistant (waterproof always seem too noisy) and windproof. I found a Simms Windstopper that fits the bill. Any thoughts on this brand, or suggestions for something else?
Thanks.

For me personally, by the time I am wanting to slip on a vest I also want my arms covered. I really like vests for some weird reason but find I rarely use them and have sold quite a few.

Take a look at the Kenai from KUIU. It has become my go-to "sweater". I bought a snug size so fits over just a base layer. Breathes, has pit zips, super quiet, becomes a great insulation layer under a wind barrier or rain gear when conditions are worse. Really love it

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like running a thin wind cutting vest like the Sitka Jetstream while hiking then putting a puffy jacket on over everything after I stop. For me as long as I keep my core warm it feels good to have that airflow on my arms while moving around. I guess that would still be the case with a puffy vest but I'll always carry the puffy jacket anyway so the soft shell vest works better for me.

I have been using the simms fall run jacket. I love it. I bought it because it has nearly identical specs to the KUIU spindrift jacket. My spindrift that I had for several years got a few tears in it and I never really liked the color. The fall run jacket is several ounces lighter. It also fits better. It has a chest pocket. And lined hand pockets. I fish in it. I hunt in it. I wear it daily. Its very warm. Its thin and easy to layer over the top of. It packs up nice and is one of my favorite clothing pieces I have. I like it better than the vest. The arms have a very low profile I have never wished it was a vest.

I have tried several soft shell jackets. Including the simms windstoper hoodie and an under armor windstoper jacket. . I like my kuiu guide jacket best. Its the only one I still have. It cuts the wind just fine but is much more breathable and gives free movement. Great hood. Fits over the fall run jacket nicely. My only complaint is that its cut a bit short in the body.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I personally like running a thin wind cutting vest like the Sitka Jetstream while hiking then putting a puffy jacket on over everything after I stop. For me as long as I keep my core warm it feels good to have that airflow on my arms while moving around. I guess that would still be the case with a puffy vest but I'll always carry the puffy jacket anyway so the soft shell vest works better for me.

Yep...

topher89

WKR
Jacket. I have a couple vests but I never use them. If it is cold enough for me to put on the vest its usually cold enough for a jacket. I usually buy non-hunting brand gear, better deals and steeper discounts to be found. I have Patagonia Down jacket and vest and an Arcteryx Atom Lt. The Arcteryx gets points for being more versatile and because it is synthetic it gets taken out fly fishing.

I find myself using a patagonia nano puff pullover ALOT.As far as an insulator layer It goes with me everywhere. I own several vests including puffy ones and rarely use em. The nano puff is synthetic , packs down to the size of a stuffed sandwich , can ventilate well, and is warm even when wet. Not a good jacket in thorns but I dont encounter those often.

OP
Bigfeet

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to take my current sitka jacket to the store, and try on the puffy vest and jacket to see which fits better under that jacket. Based on the responses, I'm hoping the jacket fits well for a midlayer. Appreciate all the responses.