Pullouts & pack organizing

ChrisAU

WKR
I put each day's breakfast/lunch/snacks in a quart zip loc bag, 1 bag per day. That forces me to eat the entire day's food. Freeze dried dinner is my only hot meal. Freeze dried meals get stuffed into nooks and crannies in the main pack, and dumped out at camp, along with all but the next days breakfast/snack/lunch bag, which accompanies me throughout the day. At night before bed to pack the next days food, all I have to do is throw a full quart zip loc in the pack. Voila, done.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I also use Kifaru UL pull-outs with color-coded paracord pulls. I can get a bit OCD with these things, so bear with me. My system:

- FAK, small, red
- Kill, medium, reflective orange
- Possibles, medium, yellow
- Food, large/XL, black
- Spare clothes, large/XL, green

I also carry a dyneema dry bag with my hygiene kit. I dump food and change of clothes with camp, and keep the rest with me.

In the food bag, I divide by day in ziplocks (like another poster, above), and take a single ziplock with me. Ziplocks each get labelled with whatever water I might need.

The extra weight of the pullouts is worth a sense of organizational sanity, to me. Consult your quartermaster if your pull-out lasts more than four hours.

I usually organize my pack like this:

- Sleeping bag, ground cloth, shelter, in a compression sack ay bottom.
- food sack
- cooking gear in mesh sack - pots and stove
- clothes in a compression sack
- kill kit
- possible sack with stuff not in the organizer and less frequently used like repair kits. Spare batteries. Etc.
- oR #2 organizer with first aid, hygiene, meds, spoon, firestarters etc. basically my do all once I get to camp bag.
- other gear is in pockets and lid of pack.

I use a mix of kifaru light weight pull outs and Jimmy tarps stuff sacks. Mix and match sizing depending on load and duration of stay.

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using Kifaru UL Pullouts. Was looking at these though and thought they might work well.

TravisIN

WKR
What size would you use to hold 7-10 days worth of food?

I got 7 days of food in the mega pretty easy. I put each day in a zip lock and push the air out. Example of a day is about like this

Off grid oatmeal
2 small candy bars
Cliff bar
Honey stinger waffle
Just pb pack
2oz trail mix
2oz jerky
Protein chocolate chip cookie
Peak refuel dinner
2-3 drink mixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Once you get a system figured out it is e-z to use a marker and label the kifaru pullouts, you could use a string attach price tag until then. I have some kifaru mesh pullouts but I like the non mesh ones better.
# them with a marker would also work once you get things figured out…..

Austink47

WKR
B59CDCD1-3FBB-418F-8D46-3238CA7C4232.jpegFrom top to bottom:
Large with puffy jacket gloves and hat
Medium with kill kit 5 game bags and stuff
Small with all my little crap
I have been incredibly impressed with the Kifaru UL pullouts. They are a minimal weight penalty I am happy to pay.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
The FHF bags do look nice, and I’m sure they’re well made, but 500D cordura is going to be about twice as heavy as silnylon. Kifaru offers their pullouts in both, for a direct comparison.