Overcoming Fainting at Injury?

Fowl Play

WKR
Alright first, guess it’s a phobia, but I’m a total wimp when it comes to my own blood. For instance, when drawing blood, etc I have to lay down so I don’t faint. It’s so stupid and actually could be dangerous. On my past elk hunt I was being stupid and tried to cut a branch for a shooting lane very quickly. Wound up chopping my knife full force to the bone in one of my left fingers. Blood pulsing out at every heartbeat, etc. Had to drop to my knees and took every ounce of my being to prevent myself from fainting while getting gauze out of my kit to stop the bleeding. Tensing all my muscles to keep my blood pressure up, etc.

So stupid when I’m fine being arms deep in a carcasss, it’s just my own blood.

Anyone else dealt with this and found a way to overcome it? At this point if I actually sustained a serious injury in the field, I’m not sure I’d be able to keep myself conscious long enough to actually use the hemostatic gauze or tourniquet I carry. Which I find unacceptable. I’m sure I’ll find some answers on google, but figured I’d start a conversation here as well.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Carry smelling sauce, and keep it handy. Nasty crap but it works. So I've heard.

KP20129

FNG
I feel your pain as I have passed out twice. Once 20 years ago getting blood drawn for a life insurance policy. Other time was also over 16 years ago. I was overheated from walking alot and listening to a guy tell details of his heart surgery. Nothing since and been in way worse situations with more blood of my own and others. Really weird though as I think about each time I am in those situations.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yeah most phobias say the cure is exposure therapy….

That was going to be my suggestion but I tried to be nicer for a moment.
Now that I know you have thick skin....
Dye your hair black, paint your fingernails black wear docs and listen to alot of smashing pumpkins. Just remember across the arm for attention.

Last edited:

CRJR45

WKR
Funny , I'm just the opposite . My blood don't bother me , but when someone else is bleeding it makes me queasy .
Not sure if you can fix it , just have to live with it , I guess ?

Just about any phobia can be be made more manageable. Google and seek out a professional who can help you.

Swamp Fox

WKR
To learn more, I went to Healthline.com ----Seems legit ... LOL

The top two tips were:

• If you can, lie down with your legs in the air.
  • If you can’t lie down, sit down and put your head between your knees.

When I read that second one, my brain added "...and kiss your ass goodbye..."

(But, no, I'm sure everything will be fine .... LOL)

Essentially, as you know, if you feel you might faint you want blood flow to the brain and to increase your blood pressure.

You don't want your head to explode, but maybe think about non-resident hunters, crossbows in archery season, the Western point system, Christmas shit in the stores in September...

Something like any of that should help ....

Good luck.

I didn't think my blood bothered me til a head injury.

Messed me up and I didn't faint, but it was close.

I don't know how to work past it. I have done some messed up stuff, can do a lot of things when needed. Actually went on a backpack hunt when I had to carry a scalpel to Lance a fistula, and that's not tge worst of it.

The problem I have found is you don't know how you will react to yourself.

I'd be curious how to control it, I think adrenaline is nature's cure, but it doesn't always work.

Drenalin

WKR
Hopefully the adrenaline will keep you alert, instead of making you bleed to death faster! Sorry OP, I don’t have the cure.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
It's called vasovagal syncope and it's not something you can control from my knowledge. I never had a problem with it until one time I was giving blood and it like flipped a switch in my brain and caused it to start happening with serious injuries.

Best thing you can do is calm down and let your body relax. Deep, controlled breaths, etc. In the moment though, if you're standing and feel like you're going to faint, I've been able to push it off by clenching my abs to push the blood back towards my head. Look up the breath control fighter pilots use, thats what I'm talking about.

I have this same issue and it’s been a pain my whole life. Almost instantly I’ll get nauseous and then shortly after I’ll pass out or be very close. The only thing that really helps for me is to get the wound taped up/covered and then think about anything I can to get my mind off of it. The other day my buddy dropped a slip tank on my hand and split it wide open, he kept talking about how bad it looked and that just made it 10x worse haha

jimh406

WKR
If you want to get over it, try using a lancet to do a finger prick. You can buy disposable ones, and it's pretty easy to do.

If it isn't obvious, you probably should sit down to try it.