Question for crossbow hunters

mi650

WKR
How long do you leave your bow cocked? Typically, 3-4 hours is the max for me. I've never done an all day sit with it, but can't imagine leaving it cocked that long.

10 year old TenPoint Stealth SS, btw.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Well, disregard I guess. TenPoints FAQ to the rescue!!

Is it safe to leave my crossbow cocked for long time periods?​

Your crossbow has been designed to be cocked during an entire day of hunting without needing to discharge or de-cock it, however, we strongly recommend discharging or de-cocking the crossbow at the end of each day.
Do not leave your crossbow cocked for longer than a 24-hour period, as premature stretching of the string and cables may occur, leading to a loss in crossbow performance.

LostArra

WKR
I have a friend who opened his crossbow case in August and realized his crossbow had been cocked since last December! He replaced the strings/cables and he said it shoots fine.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
All day for me. The instructions say 12 hours, so I just shoot an arrow on my way home at dark.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
I have a friend who opened his crossbow case in August and realized his crossbow had been cocked since last December! He replaced the strings/cables and he said it shoots fine.
Dayum!! Do you know the brand/model/age?

I've kept up on changing strings & cables on my Stealth every few years, most recently last spring. 10 years old and it's still killing deer!

Smallish 8 point about 4 weeks ago.

y4wS4fH.jpg

I unload it at the end of each hunt if other people are around or i am hunting with someone else, but in the heat of the season i typically leave it loaded all day for both morning and evening sits and its just me and wife/son around.

I used to buy those de-cocking bolts, but i jist have a bolt with a field tip and shoot it into a target at my garage.

I have a ten point fx4 and it still shoots great. Replaced strings once in many years, will prob need to do thay mext year or the year following.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
I unload it at the end of each hunt if other people are around or i am hunting with someone else, but in the heat of the season i typically leave it loaded all day for both morning and evening sits and its just me and wife/son around.

I used to buy those de-cocking bolts, but i jist have a bolt with a field tip and shoot it into a target at my garage.

I have a ten point fx4 and it still shoots great. Replaced strings once in many years, will prob need to do thay mext year or the year following.
That's what I do, on my deck.

LostArra

WKR
Dayum!! Do you know the brand/model/age?

I've kept up on changing strings & cables on my Stealth every few years, most recently last spring. 10 years old and it's still killing deer!

Smallish 8 point about 4
Ten Point Havoc
Maybe year or two old

I keep a beater bolt with a judo point on it In my truck. I unload on something safe before I put the bow away.