Question for the Carnivore guys

I did the same thing a few years ago. I just dealt with the headaches for about a week and then didn’t have issues after that. If you can get through it you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not as much as going cold turkey off of sugar. Brain is a sugar obligate organ. The transition from using glucose to ketones causes very bad headaches. Nurse Practicioner here.
You might be a nurse but I am a caffeine addict.

no caffeine = definite headache

My bad.

I'm pretty low sugar and don't put it in my coffee.

You might research a phenomenon where highly educated people assume everyone else is ignorant.
People can be low sugar and be fine. Not denying that. But this guy isn't the first one I've seen go on the carnivore diet and complain about headaches.

If you actually read through the thread you might understand the reasoning

Ok so ill chime back in here on this.
I did pretty well then my mom went into the hospital for 3 days and hospital food sucks.
Im back at it now. Been eating well........but im still getting some soda, and no these are not diet sodas.

I did order some supplements like Ignite and Enduro. I do like them and will be much better than the soda.
Just the eating is a huge step in the right way for me as I am also one to eat like shit.

Ill get there. Its just going to take me some time.
I looked into the LMNT packets just have not ordred any yet. But plan to.
Right now all I have ate for the last 4 days is beef,eggs, pork and Cheese.
Have been finding some ways to do all of them a little different so its not the same thing over and over and its helped.

Been doing carnivore for 5 months. I drink a ton of Zevia soda's OP. They have ones with and without caffeine and no artificial sweeteners.

Do diet soda. I know carnivore snobs will say it’s against protocol but i lost 25 lbs the last 2 months drinking Diet Coke while on “carnivore”. Something’s I just can’t give up

Just started this diet recently and like it so far.
Thing I dont like is I was a heavy Soda drinker and with jsut flat cutting it out its giving me horrible headachs. I assume from the lack of Caffine.
I am not a Coffee drinker at all. Never have been dont plan to be as I hate the taste.

For those that are not Coffee guys what are you all doing to get Caffine. Or at least to slack off of the Caffine a little at a time.

Would something like Mtn Ops Yeti or Ignite work?
I'm just coming across this thread and haven't read past the first page. I hope you've already found relief from advice here, but in case you haven't.

Start with Electrolytes. Getting enough electrolytes can be very difficult on this diet. LMNT is my drug of choice here. If it's to strong/salty for you (it was for me in the beginning) I like Kaged. They also have a preworkout that is just their electrolyte mix with caffeine. It may be just the ticket for you. I've never tried the Mtn Ops or ignite stuff.

I haven't drank carbonated drinks in well over a decade, but I was a heavy coffee drinker (pot plus per day). I had the same problems you're describing when I didn't get enough coffee. Since starting the carnivore diet 5 months ago I no longer need it. I still drink a cup or 2 a day because I enjoy it, but I don't have any effects from skipping it. Prior to the carnivore diet, if I started the day off with a good sweat I could avoid coffee for the day without headaches, but that was the only way.

TLDR: Try heavy electrolytes drink mixes (1 gal+ per day) and starting your day off with a good workout and sauna if you have access to one.

Edit: Just read little more. You can try the diet soda or you could add fresh fruit following a meal. I highly advice against the former and for the latter. Proportionate fresh fruit following a high fat/protein such as a steak has been shown to cause a minimal blood sugar spike vs fruit alone.

Last edited:
FWIW, A couple weeks into the diet (strictly meat eggs butter salt & black coffee) I had excruciating head aches. For me it was 100% the lack of sugar. I tried to subdue them for a black coffee, water (lots of water lol) and over the counter meds. Nothing worked for me but they did only last about a week or 2 tops.

Best of luck.

I have been soda less for over a week now. So no more issues there.
Also have been eating strictly Carnivore foods, Steak, Eggs etc for about a week and a half.
Already down 8lbs from when I started.

Back