The Rokslide Social Distancing for Hope Thread

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve tried not to let the pandemic slow me down too much. Still racking up 30+ miles on the local trails and also getting in some nice snowshoeing and bc skiing in.

Spent 3 days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness a couple of weeks ago and barring a emergency, heading in for four days this week :)
I76cufm.jpg

SPa6Ntr.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Loving this thread Roksliders!

A friend told me he’s spent more time with wife and kids during this than prolly ever. I agree.

There are a few more slots remaining in our Cold Bow Challenge. Huge huge response this year. If you need a good reason to get the bow rolling, here it is.

ca764d068af41e772d9889bdc7d7fffd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
Thanks for the positive thread Robby and everyone who has contributed. There is always something to be thankful for and I am drawn to people that share that attitude. God is good, all the time!

Too much snow in my backyard for an Easter egg hunt this year and since we usually host Easter for most of my wife’s family, it was too quiet to stay home for the day. We decided to head down in elevation where I could take my one shot for the Cold Bow Challenge and have some fun hiding eggs at the same time.

My one arrow was not what I had hoped for but the time running around the kids was well worth the trip! I’m grateful to have this extra time with my family (I’m still working but less office time) and I’m grateful to live surrounded by National Forest.

I’ve also found, praying for people who have lost loved ones, or their jobs, or are just plain afraid in all of this with my family is a good way to keep a healthy perspective for all of us. To finish the verse your kids wrote in chalk, (we are not given a Spirit of fear) ... but of power love and self control.

19c05fa67b5635db9310993ab126ade2.jpg

bradb

WKR
But below is a copy of text of my last Thursday Nurse called me said I was exposed on April 2nd. My absolute best social ******* distancing is the day I got exposed. I was off work saw no one, shot rifle in a farm field by myself. Normal day I am basically around 400 people, as I own a little grocery store(yes some mostlikely positive) Well tell I got a call in the middle of the night to help get my uncle neighbor off the floor. And aunt and uncle have since got positive tests. With little symptoms at 84. Go figure

As of today 4/13
I still feel great but they want to test me today.

Saturday afternoon my wife and I went looking for yogi, and it was a spot I hadn’t seen in awhile so I felt a little bad walking my wife all over getting a lay of the land, lots of gained elevation over several miles, but she’s a trooper.

After seeing the layout we had a good plan to sit on this big pretty canyon with good green up. We walked up to the north ridge and I quickly glassed up a bear in the bottom.

I thought it was going to be too small but we circled around to get closer, and relocate the bear which we did, and then there was another smaller one... sow and yearling. We watched them feed and peel stumps, then moved on.

I saw another cut in the distance, so we got to the south side of the one we were in and glassed the next canyon, beautiful but nobody home.

We moved on, and that last cut wasn’t as nice, so we turned around. We got back to that last good looking canyon, I had my wife rest as I glassed again... surprised I didn’t see anything, but we moved on.

We walk about 50 yds and open up the part of the canyon below us, I peek down... bear! It’s a good one too, obviously a mature boar.

It knows we are there but it’s not blowing out. I tell my wife it’s a big bear and ask her if I should shoot it, of course she says yes. I drop my pack and set my rifle up and get on him, and he started moving again. He walks up and poses perfect for a shot, I click the safety off, and get ready to shoot.

I start rolling through the reality of shooting, my tired wife will be stuck on the mountain late, then I’ll have to get her home and hike 4 miles back in and finish the pack, and we have to leave town at 6am.... the biggest downside though, my bear tag is gone, with over 6 weeks left and nothing but time to hunt.

I look up to my wife with her fingers in her ears and tell her I’m not going to shoot.

It was a really fun night, and we saw 3 bear which is really good for this country, one was a dandy that I would be stoked to put my tag on... and I get to keep hunting.

Filling spring bear tags is bittersweet, I love hunting them. We are just heading back from over east today, so I will be back in the woods tomorrow, and don’t think I will be able to pass another big boar (didn’t think I would be able to the other night haha)

Now I know that bear is there to hunt, rather than happening onto it, and it’s a beautiful place to look for bear.

Hoping to take our daughter tomorrow as well, she will like it.

68Plexi

WKR
That’s a great sorry, thanks for sharing! Hard to pass on an opportunity like that but wisdom in not taking the shot. Now you get to keep hunting! Wish we had spring bear in CA.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the positive message Robby! It's been good to spend a little more time with the family and get some late season snow shoeing in!

Dang it, Roosie! The rest of us are stuck inside and you passed on a rug and a full freezer?! Why don't you just take one of those stickbows instead, so you can at least pretend you're hunting ;)
I pack my bow when hunting bottoms, but covering country glassing canyons, I like a rifle. my reasoning isn't straightforward, it's not for bear so much, but I can't stand the thought of glassing up a lion and not being able to take advantage of it. I have killed a couple lions bear hunting, and have 2 tags, and want to fill them.... getting one on accident is welcome with me, killing them on purpose with a call takes a lot of time and effort.

after 7hrs of driving yesterday, we got home a little ahead of schedule, so I hustled and showered and headed out the door. got home at 5:30, out the door by 6, and ended up glassing up a couple repeats (sow and yearling) then a little before dark found a big healthy sow with 2 furballs…. I kept my social distance

Long day in the woods, it was nice. Lots of boot miles today and turned up a nice bear late morning... besides that, we had a big herd of elk in this cut, and my buddy met up with me this afternoon. Had some amazing views throughout the day.

If I cannot work, I’m sure appreciative of my bear tag this year B2C2073C-58A0-465F-B10A-3D543D1CA14F.jpeg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve also found, praying for people who have lost loved ones, or their jobs, or are just plain afraid in all of this with my family is a good way to keep a healthy perspective for all of us. To finish the verse your kids wrote in chalk, (we are not given a Spirit of fear) ... but of power love and self control.

19c05fa67b5635db9310993ab126ade2.jpg

Amen brother

Took my 5 yo on his first turkey hunt! Had 3 Jakes at 10 yds. He was 60% excited and 40% utterly terrified. Perfect! I had the bow and would've taken one for the memory, but by the time I got him focused and calmed down, they were past. It was as perfect as I could've imagined. We loved it!
image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage5.jpeg

WannabeHunter, that is awesome! I can relate, and when we have an exciting hunt with the youngsters, it also adds to our appreciation of the hunt.

seeing their genuine excitement can make you step back and wonder if we take it all for granted.... not only awesome memories, but if we pay attention a little, that stuff can rebuild our own appreciation back to what we need to keep it..... lots of good things come out of those types of hunts.