Question on elk round

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Im having trouble making up my mind on what caliber to use on a tule bull elk hunt. How many of you have used a 26 Nosler or 7mm-08 on a bull?? 7mm 08 I’m shooting a hornady GMX 139 grain it dropped 2 cow elk in Idaho this year and the 26 shooting a 129 Barnes tsx.
I have a 300 mag just haven’t shot it much and won’t be taking a shot out past 3 or 400 yards.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
assuming you can shoot it well, 7-08 with the 139's gets my vote..... and it's probably a lighter gun?

that said if you have a love affair with your 26, take that.... both will kill elk. For practical hunting disstances, I just tend to favor heavier bullets, even if they have less powder behind them.

A Cow elk from Idaho will be about the same size as a Tule bull. Shoot what you are comfortable with and put them in the lungs... be just fine.

2five7

WKR
I've never personally used those calibers, but I have killed a few with a 264 WM, with no issues. Also guided a couple with 7/08 class of cartridges, no issue there either. Take whichever rifle you are most familiar with.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot a heavy for caliber bullets and put it where it needs to go, don't take long or marginal shots and you'll do fine. Any of those rifles will work.

For those ranges I like a 180 TTSX from a .300 Win Mag. Hits like a truck.

I have been researching this very issues and everything I have read says a good bullet from a 7mm-08 at a reasonable distance will get the job done. Good luck.

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The cows did not go far and were mature and big! One went about 60 yds and the other one my buddy shot behind the shoulder turned a little and got a follow up above the lungs below the back strap and I watched her tumble down a hill my fear is losing one in a marshy area and not being able to retrieve it. Guess I’ll just have to be smart about what I shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk