Caliber Choice On New Rifle

A-Brakke

FNG
Hi All,

Background: I currently own a 300WM & 7MM RM. That said, Iv taken big Muleys, Elk, and Antelope with these rifles without problem but really don’t enjoy shooting year round with them. Consistently my brother who I hunt with uses the same 6.5CM with Burris 3x9 and tags out on the same types of animals with one shot kills. On our hunt a few weeks ago I ran into a situation where I was forced to grab his rifle and make it happen. I took not only my first shot ever with this caliber but also a big Muley with his 6.5CM at 220yds with a heart shot. I’m now just racking my brain over how a rifle can be so comfortable, low recoil, and ability to maintain site picture.

Now looking to build a rifle that’s lower recoil that I can still hunt elk, muleys, whitetail with if I’m not taking shots over 500yds. Debating on these two and recoil is biggest concern as wife will use this also. Thoughts?

6.5PRC
7MM-08

gelton

WKR
Since you already own a winny and a 7mm, I would probably be looking at a 6 Creedmore or even better the 6 UM or something similar, especially since the wife will be shooting it. IMO the 6.5 PRC performance would be close enough to the 7mm that there wouldn't be a big enough difference between the two to warrant having both.

Have a look at this thread for more info - https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-6um.290585/

I don't care for the whole CM trend, but given your post details I don't understand why you wouldn't just go with the 6.5 CM in the new rifle and be done with it? Seems like it's proven itself in all your situations. I have a 6.5 PRC and love it but it thumps pretty good. Just bought my 2nd 6.5 CM and waiting for it to hit the FFL along with my new flat billed hat I'm gonna start wearing now that I'm apparently a fanboy. lol

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
I don't care for the whole CM trend, but given your post details I don't understand why you wouldn't just go with the 6.5 CM in the new rifle and be done with it? Seems like it's proven itself in all your situations. I have a 6.5 PRC and love it but it thumps pretty good. Just bought my 2nd 6.5 CM and waiting for it to hit the FFL along with my new flat billed hat I'm gonna start wearing now that I'm apparently a fanboy. lol

For all the reasons you just mentioned. Iv never been a 6.5cm guy, not a fan of the trend, and still baffled at the success I’ve seen. I think the 7mm-08 so I don’t have to feel like I need a flat billed hat. Lol

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
My 22" 6.5 CM is still above 2000fps at 500yds with my 130 TMK handloads. You will lose some shootability with the PRC, all things being the same.

With the data set available on this site from the last few years, there's actually a strong argument that the 6 CM could be an even better fit.

Any factory loads you would recommend for elk out of a 6.5CM?

woods89

WKR

I haven't bought factory centerfire ammo in 10 years. However, I know of elk killed in my personal circle of acquaintances with Hornady 143 ELD-X and Berger 140 VLD Hunter, both factory ammo, I think. Both worked well.

If I suddenly couldn't reload, I think I'd buy factory 140 ELD-M loads in barrels worth quantities and go kill stuff. That's from seeing data on this site, though, and no personal experience with that bullet.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
I haven't bought factory centerfire ammo in 10 years. However, I know of elk killed in my personal circle of acquaintances with Hornady 143 ELD-X and Berger 140 VLD Hunter, both factory ammo, I think. Both worked well.

If I suddenly couldn't reload, I think I'd buy factory 140 ELD-M loads in barrels worth quantities and go kill stuff. That's from seeing data on this site, though, and no personal experience with that bullet.

Thanks for the intel! My brother shoots the 143g ELDX and loves them and that’s what I shot my muley a week back with. I question why I’m still so skeptical after watching his success match mine with a 300wm.

woods89

WKR
Thanks for the intel! My brother shoots the 143g ELDX and loves them and that’s what I shot my muley a week back with. I question why I’m still so skeptical after watching his success match mine with a 300wm.

I've been told that the terminal delta between the 140 and 147 ELD-M and the 143 ELD-X is not much. I think all three would be great. It's also a big deal that Hornady does well at keeping ammo in shelves.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
I've been told that the terminal delta between the 140 and 147 ELD-M and the 143 ELD-X is not much. I think all three would be great. It's also a big deal that Hornady does well at keeping ammo in shelves.

Yeah here in Billings, MT ammo is piled high and available!! Very fortunate.

307JS

FNG
I prefer the 6.5x284 norma personally but on elk sized game its marginal. 140grains does the trick on everything and yes I have killed elk but they don't die like a 215grain 300 kills them.

I still can't get my mind over it to use on Elk, but if I were I'd probably grab some flavor of factory accubond ammo. My son killed a bull with his CM a couple years ago and it soaked up 3 rounds of AB, last one to the back of the neck while running away and no telling how far that track would've been without it. I already have a 300 WSM dedicated lightweight "elk gun" so just keep using that, if not then probably use the 6.5 PRC. Never know, spend enough time here on RS I'll be using a .223 out of a 16" barreled AR here pretty soon...

For all the reasons you just mentioned. Iv never been a 6.5cm guy, not a fan of the trend, and still baffled at the success I’ve seen. I think the 7mm-08 so I don’t have to feel like I need a flat billed hat. Lol
Then go with a 260 or 260AI and get better performance without the creedmoor name!!

ThatDUDE

WKR
Hi All,

I’m now just racking my brain over how a rifle can be so comfortable, low recoil, and ability to maintain site picture.
So many threads you can read that will get the brain working even more about "smaller" calibers. The 6.5/260 Thread. 243/6mm Threads, 25 Cal Thread, and the .223 thread. They have all opened my eyes. I started my Rokslide journey getting input on a 300 WSM because I had to have it to kill elk. Now a couple years later we killed a bull with a 6.5 Creedmoor and my buddy killed his elk this year with his .270.