Caliber Choice On New Rifle

ThatDUDE

WKR
Well screw it. I’m convinced. I’m picking up a 6.5CM and gonna give it a whirl. I got a bull tag and an elk b tag left this year. Will see what some 143eldx can do!
The one thing I have learned from all of this is be mindful of your projectile choice and the minimum velocity that it will reliably expand. Keep that 143 ELDX above 1800 fps and go kill stuff. My buddies wife shot here bull at 170ish yards with the 140 ELDM from my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor. I honestly remember thinking the damage was almost too much. I am seriously looking at dropping down to a 6mm Creedmoor with the 108's for my do all rifle.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Lotta reading and things to ponder in the above linked post.

Tony2000

FNG
I have a 6.5prc and with a good muzzle brake or suppressor it has very little recoil

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sold all my magnums, except my 300 BLR. And now it’s 6.5 or .308 for big game… (cause I live in Co) have a couple CM’s just snagged a sako in PRC and then a few other .308’s. All threaded to accept suppressors and many with shorter barrels. No need to beat yourself up when there are fantastic bullets out there that will kill any animal in NA very dead at ranges where the velocity will disrupt said bullet. Which is way further than most folks should even shoot at animals.

kpk

WKR
I took not only my first shot ever with this caliber but also a big Muley with his 6.5CM at 220yds with a heart shot. I’m now just racking my brain over how a rifle can be so comfortable, low recoil, and ability to maintain site picture.

For all the reasons you just mentioned. Iv never been a 6.5cm guy, not a fan of the trend, and still baffled at the success I’ve seen. l

I'm not sure why you're baffled at the 6.5cm success as you had already listed the reasons for it's success. It will do 90% of what 90% of shooters want.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 cm vs 7mm-08 will be negligible on drop and energy. They’re about the same just depends on what freedom seeds you want. Ammo availability probably favors 6.5 in the majority of the country. Id also argue you could run lighter bullets in the 7 rem mag which will help on recoil. Would be the exact same bullets you’d run in a 7mm-08, just with a little more ass behind it. 120/140gr ttsx, 140 AB/PT would be good choices.

geterdone

FNG
6.5PRC is what I added to my collection last year and it made two 1 shot drop in their track kills this year on a muley and lope. It has noticeably less recoil than my 7mm. I am also shooting 143 ELDX handloads, gun shoots sub 1/2 MOA. I can shoot 25 rounds at a range day and no soreness.

I plan to shoot it all winter and spring unlike years past where I wait till mid summer to torchure my shoulder with my 7mm.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Hi All,

Background: I currently own a 300WM & 7MM RM. That said, Iv taken big Muleys, Elk, and Antelope with these rifles without problem but really don’t enjoy shooting year round with them. Consistently my brother who I hunt with uses the same 6.5CM with Burris 3x9 and tags out on the same types of animals with one shot kills. On our hunt a few weeks ago I ran into a situation where I was forced to grab his rifle and make it happen. I took not only my first shot ever with this caliber but also a big Muley with his 6.5CM at 220yds with a heart shot. I’m now just racking my brain over how a rifle can be so comfortable, low recoil, and ability to maintain site picture.

Now looking to build a rifle that’s lower recoil that I can still hunt elk, muleys, whitetail with if I’m not taking shots over 500yds. Debating on these two and recoil is biggest concern as wife will use this also. Thoughts?

6.5PRC
7MM-08
I have both the 7-08 (actually 3 different rifkes) and one 6.5 PRC. I haven't hunted yet with the PRC or developed a great load for it. It does shoot good but I think velocity is suffering because of powder choice. I can't tell the difference between the two regarding recoil. But reloading for the 7-08 is much easier and cheaper. Supplies are more available and info on the round is well proven and easy to obtain. That being said, I still would like to get the 6.5 perfected and use it as my back up gun. It's much lighter than my current gun.

Just for info. My 7-08 shoots a 140 gr Barnes at 2960 fps. Standard savage rifle. Less than 2" groups at 200 yards.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great input here. I've never liked recoil so I put a muzzle brake on my 7mag and solved the issue. Yes, its a bit longer AND louder but it tamed the beast. Also good choices of ammo if you don't reload. If you do, there's so much you can do.

I've loaded for 7mm-08 for years, but because I have the 7mag, I've pretty much loaded the '08 for deer sized critters. There are great loads shooting 140 gr projectiles that will get you out to 300 yds.

woods89

WKR
What rifle are you referring to here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A gentleman had suggested 260 or 260 AI. I was just pointing out that standard short action magazines with a max length of 2.820 or so mean you have to seat some of the more aerodynamic bullets (specifically, in my experience, the 140 gr Elite Hunter and the 156 Elite Hunter) quite aways into the case neck to fit inside 2.820 in my Creedmoor. The longer case length of the 260 would certainly make this problem worse. It really depends on the bullets you want to shoot.
The 260 is a great cartridge, and had it not been hamstrung by the ineptness at Remington when it was first commercially available would be much more popular. However, Hornady knew exactly what they were doing with the 6.5CM, and essentially put on a school of how to support a new release.
If the OP is using Tikka or AICS mags, it's probably not an issue.

I have 2 30 cal.
I often think about a dedicated pronghorn/deer gun.
I like the ballistics on the 6.5 PRC.
I'm not a ELD-X/ELD-M guy. To much splash for me. They get a lot of love on this forum. I like the 130 grain Terminal Ascent.

When I was running numbers the 6.5 CM is not great on drop at 500 yards. 6.5 PRC drops 7" less and 1.25" less on windage (10 MPH 90 degree). The 6.5 PRC drop and velocity at 500 yards nearly mirrors the 270 WIN. But the 6.5 PRC wins on wind bucking, not by much, when compared to the 270 WIN. Since Pronghorn are commonly in very windy areas I am leaning 6.5 PRC.

Last edited:

JrCaps

FNG
A gentleman had suggested 260 or 260 AI. I was just pointing out that standard short action magazines with a max length of 2.820 or so mean you have to seat some of the more aerodynamic bullets (specifically, in my experience, the 140 gr Elite Hunter and the 156 Elite Hunter) quite aways into the case neck to fit inside 2.820 in my Creedmoor. The longer case length of the 260 would certainly make this problem worse. It really depends on the bullets you want to shoot.
The 260 is a great cartridge, and had it not been hamstrung by the ineptness at Remington when it was first commercially available would be much more popular. However, Hornady knew exactly what they were doing with the 6.5CM, and essentially put on a school of how to support a new release.
If you have your 260/260AI throated to a .120 FB you will encounter none of these issues and can capitalize on the extra case capacity compared to the 6.5 CM. You may be able to load a longer bullet like the 156gr EOL EH into a 6.5 CM but what is it shooting at, 2450 fps If you can find R23/R26. BTW all my 260AI‘s can feed a COAL of 2.98.

There are so many great options for shooters today. I really think it comes down to if you will be shooting factory loaded ammo off the shelf or if you will be handloading, and if you plan on buying a stock rifle to use or have a smith that can do some work on your rifle.

woods89

WKR
If you have your 260/260AI throated to a .120 FB you will encounter none of these issues and can capitalize on the extra case capacity compared to the 6.5 CM. You may be able to load a longer bullet like the 156gr EOL EH into a 6.5 CM but what is it shooting at, 2450 fps If you can find R23/R26. BTW all my 260AI‘s can feed a COAL of 2.98.

There are so many great options for shooters today. I really think it comes down to if you will be shooting factory loaded ammo off the shelf or if you will be handloading, and if you plan on buying a stock rifle to use or have a smith that can do some work on your rifle.

Yup, with correct chambering and long mags, it's a non issue. Off the shelf rifles can be a different story, though.

And with RL16 I'm pushing a 156 at a trued up 2700 fps out of a 22" 6.5 CM. Drops are less of a big deal, but that bullet cheats the wind very well, and is extremely accurate out of my rifle. I'm quite sure I'm over SAAMI pressure levels, although I'm under typical pressure signs, and others should do their diligence in their own rifles if they want to approach those velocities.

Most rifles, certainly R700 pattern ones can easily be opened up with an extended Wyatt’s box and seat out to 2.930”.

If the stock is inletted for M5 BM you can get to 2.950 with AICS mags.

I’ve been shooting 260 Remington since it was introduced and more recently 260AI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great bullet choices in .264 and .284. Can't go wrong with either choice. If you don't hand load, I would consider a 7-08 or 6.5CM, or even .243. Should be a lot of factory ammo choices for each.