Questions from a new hunter

TXTRKY_11

FNG
Hey everyone, new rokslider here.

As I get more and more into this arena, I'm grateful for everyone that is open and willing to help a newbie out. But I always wonder, is it frustrating to yall? Is it getting too crowded places that used to be your favorite spots? Is the pressure too much?

The reason I ask, is because it kind of feels like golf -- so many new people took up the sport in the last couple years and while I'm happy for growth, it is annoying when I can't get a tee time at a place I used to be able to walk on whenever.

Super interested to hear yall's thoughts

I saw more people in the woods during the Spring and Fall of 2020 in my neck of the woods, but it has dropped off on the public that I hunt.

Saw quite a few people out and about during October 2020 in Wyoming for MD/Antelope, but I wasn't overwhelmed and was able to get away from folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

As I get more and more into this arena, I'm grateful for everyone that is open and willing to help a newbie out. But I always wonder, is it frustrating to yall? Is it getting too crowded places that used to be your favorite spots? Is the pressure too much?

The reason I ask, is because it kind of feels like golf -- so many new people took up the sport in the last couple years and while I'm happy for growth, it is annoying when I can't get a tee time at a place I used to be able to walk on whenever.

Yes and no-

As you mentioned public, OTC etc areas are seeing more use, draws odds are plummeting, and cost are escalating.

At the same time my goals have changed. I am willing to invest more money in a quality experience and higher trophy potential, even to international travel.

Some of the early hunts I did as a newb with a chance just to see something or get a doe/spike no longer hold the same attraction. I am fine sharing entry level information now and see the benefit of keeping hunting mainstream and socially acceptable.

Thomguy

FNG
I think your right, there does seem to be an influx in hunters as a result of the pandemic. That being said, I have a feeling that number will quickly decrease as time goes on. It seems that when people quickly get into something, they sometimes quickly get out.

At least for me, a good portion of the fun is finding, and exploring, new and secluded spots. That being said, I do sympathize with your frustration. It's pretty annoying to be crowded especially while hunting.

That being said, hang in there. It is work finding nice quite spots, but its definitely doable, and so very worth it!

bcox90

FNG

I like to think that I'm always going to be willing to wake up earlier, hiker further, and be able to distance myself from the 'crowd'. I also hope that draw limits and programs like that will help, but know that's not always the case.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member

Of course its frustrating to find other hunters in the area you spent so much time scouting. But, after some basic reflection, and understanding that it is PUBLIC land, it should quickly morph into thankfulness that you have a place to hunt.
As far as this venue, it is the age old slippery slope. What could help you have a once in a lifetime hunt, could also bring many more other like minded hunters to the sport, or to "your" area, and how you welcome them truly sets the stage.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I actually saw less on my javelina hunt this past weekend then last year. Could be weather or could be the spots I was in. For elk though I feel not there’s a ton of people everywhere. I had some lion hunters with dogs this weekend mess up my approach but it’s public land and you just live with it. Had a good convo and moved on to trying to find more of my target.

elktacos

FNG
Not really, it's public. Either they hunt that spot or I do. I think we're all better off with more hunters.

In all my years of hunting, I doubt if I have encountered more than 10 people and most of those on the road at the bottom. I don't even see man tracks for the most part. But-- none of it is open, most has heavy tree cover, most is steep with downfall, no 4 wheelers or bikes, usually 6-18" of snow, and usually 3-5 miles from the gate or nearest road. A big elk herd is 5. No deer! Guess I just hunt a place that is not popular.

There is so much good info on here. If you are a new hunter than you likely are navigating and drawn to areas that are maybe a bit easier to get to, others will be the same way. A large majority of hunters are like some of the pretty hardcore hunters that are regular people on here. I was always so limited with the time I had to hunt that I did hunt closer to town, and had to work to figure out how the inevitable pressure was going to work to my advantage. I am sure more than a few guys on here have used the same tactics, I feel like most of the Colorado rifle deer hunts are like that. Just remember to enjoy the journey, and remember to treat everyone you come across that may or may have not "ruined" your hunt with kindness and respect, they may just be the person who is willing to share some timeless info with you!

Super tag

WKR
It may take years but the greatest experiences will come from discovery on your own, just my opinion.
There is a lot of satisfaction in finding your own sweet spots, and developing your own traditions.

Being a 4yr big game hunting newbie myself, I’ve thought about this a lot. My goal is to bring as much value to the table as I can, and help my hunting mentors discover new opportunities. I never want to be a freeloader, and I’ve seen far too many people not willing to put in the research, or the physical work necessary for successful hunts.

Being a 4yr big game hunting newbie myself, I’ve thought about this a lot. My goal is to bring as much value to the table as I can, and help my hunting mentors discover new opportunities. I never want to be a freeloader, and I’ve seen far too many people not willing to put in the research, or the physical work necessary for successful hunts.
My 60+ year old hunting partner who has taught me so much about hunting whitetail killed his biggest bucks 140+,165 toad, and only cougar on land that I found, researched and scouted. I was just as excited for him as if I had been behind the rifle. It's such a wonderful to share with others.

LOB39

FNG
I live in AZ and we have noticed a huge uptick in new hunters the past year or so. I have my thoughts about why there are so many new ones, but if someone really wants to and is going to hunt the right way, then i don't mind. And i love helping them out. I introduced 2 of my cousins to hunting the past few years and it has been really fun to watch them learn and figure things out and become excited about things. My fear though, in general, is that a greater majority of these newer hunters are just heading out there cause they just want to shoot stuff and ride around on their atvs. Which is why i go far from the roads when i hunt. Or they watched some hunting show that made it look easy and they decide to go try it out, but don't realize how much work it really is. I just got back from a hunt where this camp down the road from us would hunt during the day and then just blast their guns all night long at a mountain side. Who knows what they were doing. In some areas we have noticed a lot more people going and/or applying for which has made it more difficult to get drawn for our areas. Even some left over tags that we always get each year, we didn't this year. I just hope that most of the hunters out there are preserving the sport and not ruining it for everyone else.

Yes, hunter numbers are soaring across the country. Some influencers might bring some data to the table to attempt to counter that. One thing is for sure, public land/DIY hunter numbers have skyrocketed in the past 5 years. IMHO due to social media, of course COVID played a role as well when everyone was in lockdown. Honestly, I don't ever expect things to go back to "the way they once were", if you are going to stick to your newly found passion for hunting give more than you take. Join some conservation organizations, be aware and active in politics as they relate to the hunting/ conservation world, pick up any trash you see, get involved and become a mentor for youth as you gain more experience. And for the love of god do it for the right reasons, not as an excuse to post to social media and toot your horn to buddies of yours.
Good luck

Good concept up to a point. After that you just clean out an area. It's important to keep your hunter densities managable.