Questions from Newbies - Podcast

Nerhunter

FNG
Dehydration and altitude issues for flat landers, they can’t believe how real it is even antelope hunting at 6000 ft can do them in.

Bl704

WKR
When I first started hunting out west these were topics I wanted to know or had questions about:

State prereqs (not the draws - Newberg and others cover this), but having a hunter safety card, license and/or need to attend field class. Also the Colorado verified ID. Yeah these are similar but vary by state.

Gear, what do I need /not need. What is good v crap.

How to get in shape or prepare for altitude.

Logistics - fly v drive. If I fly and get an animal, now what?

Food-what to bring or buy upon arrival

Where to go - escouting, unit stats, pressure, animal numbers, etc.

Talk to the biologist/Con officer /Forester - what to ask and how to not sound like everybody else. What not to ask. What might you realy learn from them.

Weapon proficiency - what might be different or might I need to work on before the trip...

I'd like to hear from experienced western hunters how much time a person should spend gassing when they get to a good ridge or glassing point . I'm heading west this coming season and I know we need to need to take our time glassing but if you don't see an any animals, do you give up and move after 30 minutes or three hours of glassing? I'm sure it depends on the situation but I just don't know what the norm is...