Questions on dies

The kit came with One Shot but I did order the Imperial wax. What is your process for using the wax?
Not too big of a fan of the one shot, I have it and it will work but it only shines as a convenient way to lube. It doesn't work half as good as the imperial does.

I swipe a finger and give a twist on the area to be sized and go. Like it says on the container though, use sparingly. A little goes a long way.

OP
MuleyFever
Not too big of a fan of the one shot, I have it and it will work but it only shines as a convenient way to lube. It doesn't work half as good as the imperial does.

I swipe a finger and give a twist on the area to be sized and go. Like it says on the container though, use sparingly. A little goes a long way.

Do you apply the wax to every case? Do you have to clean it off the case? How do you clean it off if so?

Do you apply the wax to every case? Do you have to clean it off the case? How do you clean it off if so?
Disclaimer. First of all I, personally would not use it on a neck die. It is my opinion that it is not needed.

So first of all, I do agree with @amassi and you should fully clean the new dies. I use brakekleen or acetone with Q-tips and rags to clean any corrosion inhibitors off.

If I were sizing brass through a fresh cleaned FL die I would start fairly heavy with the lube, then go alot thinner as I go, as the die / contact surfaces gets coated pretty quick. Also before the first case I'd probably give a light swab to the hard contact surfaces of the die as well with a Q-tip. After sizing, I'd just wipe it clean with a fresh towel and probably give them a ride in the tumbler.

Vandy321

WKR
For just sizing the neck (not bumping shoulders in the body die) just dip the neck in the redding imperial dry case lube, it's a fine graphite dust...even better if you got the application media too, but works just fine without.

Also, if you have clean necks (new beads or after tumbling), you can dip your bullets bearing surface into the dry lube as well as you seat them, prevents cold welding...and it cant hurt ES/SD to have bullets lubed.

OP
MuleyFever
Can someone straighten me out on the 40 deg shoulder. Is this the right die for my Kimber or did I get the wrong one? I was reading some stuff and feel like I may be confused but I saw something that said the 40 degree shoulder was the original wildcat and that is not the same as the SAAMI chamber. The die box just says 280 Ackley Imp.

Edit: I just saw from Redding that if the die is the original it is stamped 40* and this die is stamped Ackley Improved.

I'm still confused on the original vs the SAAMI.

Last edited: